“LOUD. Beautiful Decour. Interesting Tacos with OK flavor”
Review of bartaco Mosaic

bartaco Mosaic
Ranked #73 of 495 Restaurants in Fairfax
Price range: US$0 - US$15
Description: Inspired by a healthy, outdoor lifestyle, bartaco combines fresh, upscale street food with a coastal vibe in a relaxed environment. bartaco is specialty cocktails crafted with fresh-squeezed juices, beer out of a bottle, and hand-held foods delivered on metal trays.
Reviewed 6 October 2018

Beautiful decour and friendly service. Interesting food choices, but the flavors were only decent. The best taco is the fish and shrimp taco -- and I'm not a fan of fish. The other flavors were cloying.
The lively atmosphere is almost too much for a conversation. You have to raise your voice to be heard.

Date of visit: October 2018

Reviewed 3 October 2018 via mobile

What a pleasant surprise!! Cauliflower tacos were superb. Fresh corn kernels was like eating popcorn! The guacamole was the cherry on top!! Nice atmosphere and friendly staff.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 12 September 2018

I feel bad giving 3 stars because everything about this place - except one - is really great. There is plenty of parking in the Mosaic shopping center. The space is super cozy and clean. I've heard it can get packed and the wait is long but I've only gone on off times and have never had to wait. The staff are really attentive and polite, so really no complaints.

The only thing I have an issue with are the tacos themselves. For me, tacos aren't just about the tortilla and meat, it's the toppings and sides that really make or break a taco for me. Maybe the definition of a taco IS just meat and tortilla, because in that case, BarTaco has it exactly right. Most tacos I've ordered are exactly that, meat sitting on top of a tortilla. Some are great, but others could be so much better!

Looking at the menu, I thought they were being mysterious, but when I got the taco, I realized the description was everything you were getting. For example, the Spicy Chorizo is literally just a decased chorizo in a tortilla. I think there was maybe some cilantro on there as well. I needed an acid, some greens, and a sauce. They do give you lime in the form of a stubby little end piece, but that's not really enough. I end up using a lot of the provided sauces as well as the guac and salsa that I ordered in addition to the tacos.

All that being said, I can't deny how tasty the meats are. The pork belly, sesame ribeye, and chorizo are great, but I need a little more with those. Good just as they are would be the baja fish, the mushroom, and cauliflower tacos. Again, just my opinion, because I've already been here twice and I would probably go back again and just get the ones I know I will like.

Date of visit: September 2018
DaveS5505, General Manager at bartaco Mosaic, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2018

Hi Nita,
Thanks again for the kind and thorough review. You are correct in you assessment of our tacos; some are simpler and more straightforward (chorizo) and some are a bit more complex (cauliflower is my absolute favorite). I'd love to hear more about your visits. Please feel encouraged to contact me at your earliest convenience at 303.810.9025. I'd love the opportunity to go through the menu with you on a future visit, and show you some of my favorites. Have you had any of our secret tacos? We have a lobster taco in a crispy shell right now...
Best,
Mike Weaver
mweaver@bartaco.com

Reviewed 20 August 2018 via mobile

Stopped in after the Farmers Market. Guacamole and tacos all very tasty and gluten free. Monjo carnitas are a definite to have.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 11 August 2018

I like the sushi -style of selecting tacos. it gives you the opportunity to taste different flavors. Love the carnitas and the glazed pork belly.

Date of visit: August 2018