other traveller has booked this property

Review of Herbie's Hideaway

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Poor - based on 4 reviews

Reviews from our community

Any
Mike R
“Large house and room to relax. Dirty and uncomfortable furniture.”
Reviewed 28 September 2015 for a stay in September 2015
people found this review helpful

There are some things to love about this rental. First, it is spacious and relatively updated. However, there are plenty of issues at the detail level that we didn't find acceptable. We are clean people at home and expect a rental to be equally as clean. Most of the pictures online are outdated, however, I will provide photos.

Keep in mind that this unit would rent for about $4000 per month and I always use a "monthly" rate to determine if a rental is indeed to that level of quality. I do understand that vacation rentals demand more than traditional rentals, but I think it is good to keep a perspective.

Things we found that could be improved:
1. The living room furniture is old and worn out. The sleeper sofa is meant for sleeping and not sitting, which makes it very uncomfortable to sit in and enjoy tv or reading. The futon mattress is completely flat - sitting on the floor is just as comfortable.
2. The rental company does not consider the porches living space (my assumption), so that space never gets clean. We would not sit on the porch chairs/furniture and I did not go on vacation to clean other people's homes.
3. The area rugs are disgusting and all they need are routine washing.
4. The carpets need cleaned.
5. The bagless vacuum spews so much dust in the air that it virtually unusable.
6. The wash machine is very small. You can wash about 10 pieces of clothing at a time.
7. I would not use the whirlpool tub if the rent was free.
8. The place needs a good cleaning which means moving furniture once a year to vac and mop.
9. I had to fix most of the curtains upon arrival. They are hung with spring rods and many were pulled down allowing people to see in at night. Kitchen window curtain doesn't even cover the entire window - there is a 6" gap on either side that the curtain doesn't cover.
10. The house has a million dollar view to Assateague, but it's completely overgrown.

I post these comments to help other who are looking for clean rentals and to help drive change with these rental properties. Our first rental was full of mold and absolutely disgusting. The rental company moved us to this house, which was moderately better (the company did provide good customer service). My opinion is that if you want to collect big rent, you need to care for the home - I'm not an animal and I won't live like one on vacation.

On a positive note, Chincoteague and Assateague are awesome and you can't beat for a terrific family vacation destination.

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: Spacious
Liked least: Cleanliness
Travelling group: Young Children
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Recommended for:
Families with young children
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
No pets
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing