Wild Pony Watching Boat Tour from Chincoteague to Assateague

Book in advance
from
$98.94
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Ways to Experience Assateague Explorer Wildlife Cruises
from $98.94
from $132.48
from $98.94
More Info
All reviews captain shane kayak trip wild ponies sunset cruise bald eagles great trip excellent tour wildlife dolphins island herd kayakers marsh lighthouse stallion riptide misty
Selected filters
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Enjoyed the sunset cruise. We saw tons of birds,including a bald eagles. Saw ponies off in the distance, we couldn't get close. Heard a lot of local stories on the ride , overall worth it, kids enjoyed the ride.

Date of experience: June 2013
Reviewed 11 June 2013

They advertised the cruise as "Assateague Explorer Wildlife Cruises". Well there wasn't too much wildlife. I know that animals don't act on que. But I thought we would see "some" wildlife. Did see "some" ponies. Some yearlings. I'm a freelance photographer so I thought I would could get some great shots of the Assateague/Chincoteague ponies. Thank God I had a 500mm lens. I got some shots. If you're a photographer going on this tour, nothing is guaranteed. Make sure that you have a decent long lens. To me, it was just a boat ride around the Chincoteague/Assateague area. Then they used a smaller boat, not the one pictured on their website. But the captain and his mate was nice. But would I do the cruise again? Probably not!

Date of experience: June 2013
4  Thank KingTJ
Reviewed 5 April 2013

What a paradise this place is. The people operating the boat were so nice, we even went kayaking when we got back to the dock just to see the places once we knew how easy it was to get around. We had a blast. We landed on a beach on the backside of the island later when we went kayaking, the boat took us all along the island where the horses live. This is the best cruise and they stay along the park the entire time, we saw horses come out on our way back down the island as we were crusing back also, got close to these too. It is a good thing we stayed along the island the entire time or we would have missed this herd that came out. Best to stay by the park.

Date of experience: June 2012
Reviewed 27 March 2013

We had a great time and this was surely one of a kind experience. We were very close to the ponies, it was peaceful and very relaxing. They brought us to a sand bar so we could get out of the boat and swim around, that was a very nice touch on a HOT summer day! :)

Date of experience: July 2012
Reviewed 12 October 2012

My husband and I rented a kayak from Assateague Explorer in the end of Sept. I had never been kayaking before, but felt prepared to go after being prepped ahead of time. While we didn't get to see any ponies or wildlife other than some turtles, we did have a fun time. We went over to a little beach area and rested for a bit taking in the view and then came back past where we started to go over for a better view of the lighthouse. It took us about 2 hours and we where pretty tired after that. The rental was for 4 hours. You are able to go over to the lighthouse for a tour (not while kayaking, you have to drive there) - I recommend that! Aside from not seeing any ponies, which was no fault of the people who run AE. We did have to pay extra for the seats that went into the kayak and weren't made aware of that until we were there. I feel like that should be included since I am not sure how you would have used the kayak without them. Or at the very least mention it ahead of time so it is part of your consideration on cost when making your reservation. We would go back and use AE again regardless, for the friendly, and easy communication and overall experience.

Date of experience: September 2012