“Spring visit With The Gal Friends!”

Thomas Jefferson's Monticello
More attraction details
Owner description: Monticello and its many historical rooms, gadgets, furniture, buildings, and artifacts tell us a lot about Thomas Jefferson, the president who built it and lived there.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This was my first visit to Monticello however several in the group had been multiple times. We originally scheduled the visit the week before but unfortunately a tornado struck our area (Lynchburg/Forest/Elon) and for multiple reasons prevented us from making the trip the first time. We had made reservations online for the tours and Monticello was very gracious in refunding our money due to the circumstances of not being able to visit the first time! A week later we made the trip and it was a lovely spring day in Virginia! The grounds were beautifully manicured, flowers In bloom, and the associates were very friendly and helpful. We could not have asked for more! We did take the tour of Thomas Jefferson's home, Monticello and also the tour of the gardens and the slavery tour. ALL were very informative and we very much enjoyed them. The only negative comment I have is that on the tour of Monticello the representative said that this was Thomas Jefferson's home throughout the year, for all seasons. This surprised me as I live less than a mile from Poplar Forest... It is my understanding this was Thomas Jefferson's summer home. In fact it was never mentioned on the tour, not one word of his summer home at Poplar Forest! Very surprising... As I have been to many functions and activities at Poplar Forest and it's a lovely place to visit if you have the opportunity! Great day and plan to visit again!

Write a ReviewReviews (5,816)
All reviews
in 174 reviews
"vegetable garden"
in 63 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We are Canadians so not super informed on American history. We got so much out of this tour. Thomas Jefferson was a very intelligent and interesting man, loved learning, and new ways of doing things. He was quite enlightened for the time period. The 3rd president of the United States wrote the Declaration of Independence at the age of 33, and had quite a positive influence on the United States, Canada, and the rest of the world. Nothing was rushed - we had plenty of time to explore the grounds and take in the optional slave and ground tours after our tour of the home.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Went to this house again for the third time...this time with a different grandson. Again, I come away in awe of our third president. Founding father, scientist, librarian, philanthropist, statesman...he was unbelievable. The tour is a little expensive but discounts are available for kids, seniors, AAA, etc. We were a little early for our tour but took the bus up the mountain and spent the idle time walking the grounds while we waited for our tour. Tour guide was friendly and informative, there was additional separate tours of the gardens and about the slavery aspects of Monticello which we didn't partake in. It is a nice easy pleasant walk from the house down to the museum past the Jefferson graveyard, which I would recommend. I see some of the bad reviews of the tour that I can't understand. There are discounts on prices, if you head out early in the day, you can easily get a ticket and if you have to wait for your tour,,,you can head up to the house and tour the grounds before the house rather than after. I would highly recommend to anyone visiting the Charlottesville area.

1  Thank GerryN22
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This site knows how to keep the crowds moving and to let everyone enjoy this historic home. I got there just after 9:30 and the parking lot was crammed and there were at least 6 buses. Still I was able to get a spot on the 10:15 tour and by the time I took the shuttle to the top of the hill I had just about 5 minutes before they wanted our group to gather. Our guide, Charlie was a few minutes late to get us, but he was very friendly and gregarious. Based off the last time I had been to the house, this tour provided different facts and coasted over others. The tour kept moving and at no point did we stand for too long. Considering the house and the possessions were auctioned off, it is impressive that they have 60% of the original furnishings. The grounds were overrun with people so I spent very little time looking at the gardens and out buildings. I swung by the grave site which is well maintained and continued down the hill back to the gift shop and to my car.