All reviews water park indoor waterpark seaside grill torrent river shrimp haus main park swim up bar heated pool room key ice chest breakfast tacos family vacation off season carousel beach island groupon
Reviewed 29 May 2017

Overall it was a good stay. I stayed for a weekend with my girlfriend and was traveling from Houston. Check-in process was overall very good, we got there at 10 pm and the process was swift and staff was friendly (Note: we had to call while we were driving to let them know we would arrive at 10 pm so that they wouldn't cancel our reservation). Rooms were simple but clean and fully functional. Beds were overall very good. Beach access is a big plus we were just steps away (the hotel beach access, shares the public access to the beach but it was good) and the beach was very clean, not too crowded and definitely the reason why we made the drive from Houston. Chairs and umbrellas can be rented for 20-30$ per day, so might want to bring some folding chairs. We went to the outside water park first and overall had a good time, we drifted in the river and used most of the big slides at least once. There were lines in most of the big slides that took anywhere from 5-15 min to move but in a span of around 4 hours were done and headed back to the beach. The indoor water park has two big slides and a river, but really isn't worth paying a ticket for. Dining options in the hotel are very limited. Of the 3 dining options offered one is a small seaside bar, one is closed and only open for events and the other restaurant was all the way in the outside water park (a good 15 min walk from our bedroom). Parking was free and easy to find. WiFi never worked for us, just FYI. Overall experience was good, 230$ was expensive for what we actually got (water park tickets were included 50 dollars a piece but wouldn't have paid for 2 days of water park), rooms were good, beach was great, staff was great but it is a little bit of an old hotel with the main attraction being a water park for kids. So, if you are looking for a beach hotel in South Padre there might be some other less expensive alternatives.

Date of stay: May 2017
Cameron T, Resort Affiliate at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2017

Dear Gonzalo M,

Thank you for your review.

We're glad that you had a nice experience. Like you, we feel our beach access is BIG plus for our guests. With the price of the room, resort guests gain access to both the indoor and outdoor waterparks, resort pools and bars, indoor amusements, and all the food outlets; our hope is deliver the best value to be had!! Plus, on the day of check-in you can begin playing in the waterpark as soon as they open...and, it's FREE!.

We'd love to host you and yours again, and thank you for your honest feedback - it helps us get better for our guests!

Live. Laugh. Splash!

Reviewed 18 May 2017

I am writing to express my disappointment in my stay at the SPI resort. First is the fact that when I bought my groupon for the whole week on the page it stated that tickets to the park were included but the front desk workers decided differently so I had to purchase tickets (which was an additional unexpected expense we had not planned for) for my family of 4. I was also very upset to find out that the park was only going to be open for two of the 5 days of our stay. We drove over 7 hours to have a what all the advertisement states as a “fun-filled” getaway to only get here to find out everything is pretty much closed so we had to find alternate entertainment for our family. I am also very upset about the fact that when the park did open on Wednesday (which I was told was opening day for the season) that the indoor park and everything included indoor was closed. My kids were looking forward to the carousel and the megablast which is closed due to maintenance. I just don't understand why maintenance would be scheduled for opening day of the season and for the WHOLE WEEK. Another problem encountered was the uncertainty. Every employee that I asked I received a different response. No one knew what was going on around the place I would have one person tell me that certain things would be open just to find out that they were going to be closed. All the food facilities on the resort were closed except for the sea side bar which didn't have everything listed on the menu when I tried to order and the food that I did order was not good at all for the expensive prices that I had to pay. The ICEE machine in the grill by the front desk could only be used through the grill the front desk would not assist when I asked if I could just purchase an ICEE they said I had to purchase it through the grill but it was going to be closed until the weekend. I asked “the concierge team” which doesn't exist for things around the island since the resort “filled with fun activities” I was staying at didn't have any of their activities opened, and the front desk workers could not give me any ideas of family activities around the island because they didn't know of any. Our first night staying we set the sofa bed up for our kids to sleep on and I called room service and requested two extra pillows and another blanket for them to cover with. Well two hours later I received 1 pillow and a sheet. So I called the front desk again and was informed that room service was closed for the night and they would put in a request for it to be brought first thing in the morning. Seriously this place is pure chaos with the worst customer service I have ever received. We only plan one family vacation a year and I am very upset that it had to be wasted for this stay because I have never been this displeased with any hotel/resort I have ever stayed at. Other places at least try to help find a solution or fix the problem but this place does not care at all!

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Kadee P
Dee C, Manager at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2017

Dear Kadee P,

I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for your recent stay and sharing your experience. I am so happy that we were able to connect while you were still here on property so that we could address your issues and concerns and allow your family to enjoy the remainder of your stay.

Thank you for following up with me and again thank you for taking the time to speak with me and we look forward to another trip sometime in the future!

Reviewed 12 May 2017

I would highly suggest you stay somewhere else. You can always come and visit the resort if you want to join in on the water park fun. We stayed out of the season, which meant that 99.9% of all of the amenities were closed. This did not bother us since we came for the beach. We had two rooms with the ocean view on the 3rd floor and both of the rooms had the same experience.
1. THE ROOMS ARE EXTREMELY HIGH IN HUMIDITY. When I say high in humidity, I mean, nothing whatsoever will dry in your room for 2 days and you will not sleep comfortably. It does not matter how much you play with the AC, both of our rooms experienced the same issue.
2. THE BEDS SUCK. They could really spend some $$ on better mattresses, these are overused and long beyond their lifespan.
3. NO BALCONY. This is more of an FYI, not a complaint. Only place on the entire island facing the ocean which does not have balconies as far as I could tell.
4. The food was a hit and miss at the beachfront grill.
5.The AC in the rooms was an interesting experience. I could not figure out if it actually worked as I pressed the buttons. It was too cold so I increased the temperature and the AC would turn on for 30 minutes making the room cooler. It was too hot, I decreased the temperature as it was running and the AC would turn off for 30 minutes. It did not make much sense to me.
6. The staff did not do anything out of the ordinary, just doing their jobs. They were visibly bored since it was out of the season.
7. Sea4rever was closed the entire time, little bummer.
8. Rooms were clean, the cleaning staff did an excellent job.
9. Someone mentioned small bathrooms, they were not kidding. I am 6' 1" and I had to do some basic acrobatics to get to the toilet and shut the door.
10. I cannot imagine staying in this place when the park is in season. It must be an absolute nightmare for the sheer amount of people, but I won't find out because we won't stay there in the future.

I highly, highly recommend that you stay in a different place and just visit the water park. You are better off staying at Motel 6 rooms than pay the price for these (I don't care what groupon deal they run). Get a condo instead somewhere close, there are many, many of them available and you can easily walk to the park and still enjoy all the amenities as the people staying there.

Room tip: don't choose a room here
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank tll478
Dee C, Manager at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2017

Dear tll478,

We do understand that you plan to enjoy a stay at Schlitterbahn Waterpark & Beach Resort, you have every reason to expect the highest level of excellence in all aspects of your visit. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you experienced and assure you that all concerns will be addressed with the Management team in an effort to continually evaluate areas for improvement.

Reviewed 30 April 2017 via mobile

After reading the previous review I had to post. We are locals and rented a room for our kids and their children Easter weekend. We found the room very nice, clean, quiet, cool and comfortable. The family had a blast staying there and enjoying the park. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. We enjoyed the delicious food at the beachfront grill and the view was the best.
Would certainly choose to stay at the resort again.

Date of stay: April 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Spibeach,

Thank you for your recent stay and taking the time to share your feedback with us. The view, the location with beach access are all awesome reasons to stay with us here at Schlitterbahn Waterpark & Beach Resort!

We hope to see you and your family back again soon!!

Reviewed 26 April 2017

Since we were attending a wedding at the Sea4Ever Outdoor Venue (5th floor open-air), we decided to spend a few extra days at the 'resort'. What a disappointment! The lobby & elevators were about 88 degrees.

The room a/c never got cold - temp was set to 66, but it never got below 70. Woke up sweating in the middle of the night even with the thermostat reading 67!

WiFi was worthless. NO SERVICE. I couldn't even make a phone call from my cell. I inquired and was told there were probably too many people using the Wi-Fi. Monday & Tuesday the hotel was probably less than 10% full - still no Wi-Fi.

I called Room Service from 7-8AM. Constant busy. Decided to go down the street for coffee.

There is minimal room in the bathroom to close the door once you are inside. Older and/or larger people will have a BIG problem trying to keep their balance.

Chairs in room are ragged & torn.

When the water park is open, the parking lot is full - good luck finding parking!

While the New Braunfels Park is a top-notch facility, this place is more like a $2.95 Motel with a Water Park (I didn't want to insult the $3 Motels - Never stayed at one.)

Stay some place else! This place is old and tired and needs a complete make-over.

side note: We looked for fire sprinklers in the Sea4Ever, but couldn't see any - I hope they are there....

Room tip: Pick a room at another hotel.
Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank robertmJ3463KJ
Dee C, Manager at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2017

Dear Robert M,

We do understand that you plan to enjoy a stay at Schlitterbahn Waterpark & Beach Resort, you have every reason to expect the highest level of excellence in all aspects of your visit. Please again accept my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you experienced and assure you that all concerns will be addressed with the Management team in an effort to continually evaluate areas for improvement.