All reviews waffles beach access private walkway basketball court winter texans continental breakfast nice stay enjoyed our stay mini fridge every morning great room clean rooms coffee maker definitely stay here again tile floors pool and hot tub family vacation
Reviewed 18 January 2017

Very popular well senior citizens and includes breakfast. Clean rooms, everything you need and great rate for 3 days. Staff very friendly and accommodating. Quiet and peaceful setting. Great rates and hard to beat in SPI.

Room tip: First floor please
Reviewed 17 January 2017

This hotel was chosen via tripadvisor. I used the online booking with my credit card, and the actual OTA used is booking.com. Anyway, I was excited to get this hotel as it was well under $40 with all taxes included. And being rated as a 4 stars and #8 hotels for South Padre, I had some expectation.

Upon check in, which is around 330p, we had to wait a bit as there were 2 others ahead of me. There were 2 person behind the desk, but only 1 person was helping the customer as the other guy just sat there playing around the computer. There were no greeting or eye contact. About 5 min later, we got our room then. Basic service, nothing bad, but nothing worth noting.

Got to our room, which was on the 2nd floor. It was fine, but the tiled floor was not very clean as you can feel the fine sand or dust. And the room had a musty smell. Given it's near the ocean, I know it maybe expected, but I've been to many other hotels that's on the beach w/o this musty smell. I think it's their lack of ventilation as everything in the room has a slight dampness. I quickly turn on the AC and allow it to circulate the air. We went back out to check out the beach, which was about 100 yard away through this little alley.

We went out to explore further, then dinner before returning. By then, the room was better as it's been aired out. However, I wanted to keep the air circulating and keeping it cool to sleep throughout the night. The AC is one of those older window unit, but it would not stay on. Throughout the whole night, it would turn on for about 5min, then off for 2 min, then back on again. It didn't bother my daughter, but unfortunately for me, I was up half of the night. I had shut it off for awhile, but then it got little warm and stuffy.

Next morning, the free breakfast was very basic. But it was to be expected for hotel of this price. I do want to command a thank you to the guy that works the breakfast station. He offered to make me a fresh waffle, and proceed to greet many of the guests, one after another. As an FYI, this hotel catered towards many of these snow birds retirees that comes here for several months during the winter season, so there were many senior citizens.

All in all, it was an OK hotel, but just not the 4 stars that I was expecting. Definitely a solid 3 stars, and there is nothing wrong as a 3 stars for the priced paid.

Room tip: If the sound of the AC going on/off bothers you, bring a set of ear plugs, which I have, but didn't think of using it until the next day.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 17 January 2017

Older, but clean, well kept outside entry, two floor walk-up style motel. Must be Minnesota's and Iowa's "Winter Texans" worst kept secret: by looking at the license plates. Great pool and hot tub. Rooms have micro and fridge housed in a good sized granite-type counter with a cupboard below and handy ledge above. Very well thought out. Mattresses firm. Whole room is up to date, Breakfast is very basic: waffle maker, cereal, breads, donuts, and bagels: Carbohydrate Heaven. Appeared to be a lot of long term stays. Might try being a "Winter Texan" here myself next year. Places like this are a dying breed.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
Sharyland, Owner at Ramada by Wyndham & Suites South Padre Island, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2017

Thanks for your review. Your right our Winter Texan guests are mainly from the midwest and Canada and take over the place. They orgainize activities each day. Our property is newer and nicer than any of our direct competitors. We offer more and a wider range than our direct competition. We hope to win your loyalty.

Reviewed 14 January 2017

We stayed for three nights on the "off season" and got a great price. The staff was friendly. Nice quiet place to stay. I loved the access way to the beach, a little bit of a walk, but well worth it. The rooms were comfortable and very clean.

Reviewed 13 January 2017

Stayed 4 nights in early Feb. Very Pleased, rooms are large, comfortable & clean. Staff was courteous & accomodating. Beach access is OK, little bit of a walk if your carrying beach stuff. A quality accomodation for a modest price.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Ramada