All reviews remodeled rooms tubing company picnic tables once a year dance hall river gruene cookout outfitters guadalupe upgrades volleyball retreat porch
Reviewed 8 June 2018 via mobile

We stayed here last week. Great price and good location..owner making updates. The place is as you see but lots of wildlife..great pool and will take you to 3 hour float for $10! Nice for small or large groups too

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank E2217XJjuliam
Reviewed 4 June 2018

The location of the property is right off the highway and on the river. The grounds are nicely kept.

You can rent tubes right on the property and they have a shuttle.

If you want to just hang out by the river there is lots of shade, a food truck and picnic tables.

Would be an OK venue for a family trip if it was priced reasonably.

Here are the aspects that are lacking:
Room confusion on check in. Chris checked us in and I feel he lacked basic customer service skills. There was clearly a mix up with the room as I had called to change our reservation from 4 people to 2 people. Once I got there I had to pay $120 bucks more for a move to a king size bed and what I asked for was a view. Got the king bed and no view, just the parking lot. So, for the accommodations this place is WAY, WAY, WAAAY over priced for what you get.

No hair dryers in the room. This is basic stuff people.

Room was old, very dingy. Bed was super squeaky but ok for comfort.

No chairs outside the rooms.

Refrigerator door handle was on the wrong side so it made getting into the fridge award. Easy fix.

Bath tub was just disgusting, damaged and felt moldy.

River in front of the hotel was kind of gross. There was some muck in the water so it felt gross just getting in the water there.

Room had a kitchenette but no amenities whatsoever. Bring everything you need with you.

Couldnt find an ice machine so I would bring ice with you too granted, we didnt look very hard.

The recreation center they have on site was dirty and very dated.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view, the rest of the rooms are parking lot views
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2018

We have been going here for years (20 plus). We have seen several owners and their efforts to improve the rooms. This past stay (May 2018) the rooms were great! If you are familiar with the property, you can really see the collective improvements over the past 3 years. The pool is inviting, the grounds looked great and the rooms were updated. I am guessing new mattresses (we had 4 rooms this trip), and the beds/linens were comparable to those of well know quality hotel chains. No more bead spreads, clean sheets with blankets as a footer so everything was clean upon your arrival. Still, one of the best features are the grounds, ideal for outdoor gatherings, lots of shade from large gorgeous trees and ample picnic tables. I noticed that each of the rooms had coffee makers this time too, another addition to add quality and value. - Conveniently located, this is good spot for families and friends that want to visit when not floating or checking out Gruene.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the river are always nice & in demand, thought the others aren't bad facing the common areas.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
gruenelodge, General Manager at Gruene Outpost River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2018

Thank you Jeff for the kind words! Over the past three years we have continued to make one of the best places to stay here in New Braunfels. We have a great staff that cares about the property and strives to make it the best. Many more improvements are in the works! Looking forward to seeing you next year!

Reviewed 19 April 2018

I have never been treated as rudely as I was at this lodge. I called while traveling from South Padre to find a room in Gruene. I have a 3 pound emotional support animal with documentation and shot record that travels everywhere with me. The very kind lady that answered the phone told me that would be fine, booked my room, and charged me in full. I arrived in the evening after a long day on the road and was greeted by the same super friendly lady. She gave me my room key, told me where to go, etc. At this time a large man with a pony tail came out of the back. He began telling/yelling at me no animals allowed, you can't have a dog here, barely letting me get a word in edgewise. The receptionist and I both tried to explain that I had an emotional support animal with legit papers and that she had already said it was fine. He began to accuse me of going online to falsify the documents. After a brief argument he said I could stay but that I could not leave the dog alone in my room at all. After realizing I wouldn't be able to go to dinner because of this, I requested a refund. The man never at any point said sorry for any of this or offer any recommendations on where we should go. We quickly found much nicer accommodations in a much better location with much nicer staff!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 January 2018 via mobile

The hotel has the best location for river access of almost any hotel in New Braunfels. That being said, I think we would have had a better quality room at the La Quinta on 46 in traffic.
I stayed here about 10 years ago.
-They used to take people on floats, you could even float right up to the hotel. That's gone.
- The rooms weren't spectacular by any means back then, they are torn up now. It looks like they thought about repairs or updates, started, and then stopped. The floors made my feet black. No dresser to put clothes on. Therefore our bags sat on the dirty floor.
- the river front used to have a pier, that's gone. It's dirty down at their access. Full of trash.

On a slightly more positive side : river access. We were able to just post up with chairs in the water and a cooler. Very relaxing. Short, cheap Uber ride to Gruene if you have been drinking and don't want to get into trouble. This place has so much potential, it's a shame.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple