1,370 results
All reviews afternoon tea secret escapes beautiful building sandwiches turn down service superior room roll top bath stately home steam room thornhill arms charles dickens huge bathroom local pub triangular lodge free standing bath per head lovely grounds
Reviewed 31 August 2016

You're paying top prices to stay at this hotel so therefore one expects everything to be right. Well, it's not. The beige carpets are stained and have not been properly cleaned. A toilet brush was not provided in our suite. The design of taps in the basin are very impractical and difficult to operate with wet hands. However, our suites on all 3 occasions were very comfortable and clean. The restaurant is a load of pretentious and very expensive claptrap with poor choices of very expensive wine that clearly nobody had bothered to taste beforehand. They were simply bought on the name and certainly NOT the quality. The restaurant menu is clearly trying to confuse the cliental by using highly floral, descriptive nonsense to describe very plain and poorly cooked faire. We shall certainly never eat there again after two very disappointing meals on our own and one with friends who thought likewise. DON'T BOTHER EATING THERE! The Thornhill Arms is just half a mile down the road and serves excellent food and wines that perhaps Rushton Hall restaurant should take note of. On all 3 occasions that we stayed here, one of the barmen was very curt, abrupt and rude told us HOW we should have our drinks and not how we would like them. I don't want cucumber in my gin and tonic thank you and neither do I want my glass filled with ice so that the gin is drowned by water and the glass can only take one third of the tonic in the bottle. This is just rubbish and yet this particular "barman" who has been there since our first visit 3 years ago, has still not changed his appalling customer attitude and manner. Get rid of him! One would assume that the very high cost of drinks could permit the bar to offer some snack such as a bowl of nuts or olives free of charge as they do in the Grand, Café de Paris, Savoy, Ritz or Claridges but no, they charge you £2.00 for a bowl of nuts. Pathetic and very petty. Lastly, we were greeted on Bank Holiday Monday at 8.40am by a decorator outside our bedroom door chatting incessantly at a very high volume whilst attempting to emulsion a wall. I ask you, of all the times??????????? Doubtless to say we sent him on his way. Paradoxically, having said all this, the staff on reception and all the other barmen are very friendly, approachable and helpful. We shall certainly stay there again but shall have second thoughts on drinking in the bar should the same barman be serving. For heaven's sake don't put him on reception. The bar incidentally, is glorious and set in the great hall that is full of history and very atmospheric as is the whole of Rushton Hall. However, be warned and like a previous reviewer mentioned, always check your bill!

Room Tip: Rooms in the old stable quarter near the spa are quieter and more spacious.
1  Thank Morganbaz
Reviewed 30 August 2016

We got married in early August but as we are saving to buy our first house decided to have a luxury weekend away instead of jetting off somewhere. We chose Rushton Hall and we weren't disappointed. Everything was absolutely stunning, from the grounds, the room and the spa. Our dinner was the best meal we have ever eaten, made better by the service we recieved. Marco in the great hall, catered to our every need late into the night, and was back serving us breakfast in the morning he is a credit to Rushton Hal and the level service they provide. Tyrone in the restaurant explained each detail of our dinner and ensured our dinner was an experience to remember. We can't recommend this little gem enough and will be sending my parents for their anniversary. If you have the opportunity to visit either for dinner or to stay do not pass it up.

Room Tip: Book restaurant in advance
1  Thank vegasgirluk
Reviewed 30 August 2016 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel as our friend had a surprise 40th birthday party there, and whilst the setting is very beautiful and some aspects of our stay were great, some things did let this hotel down.

For example we were told we had the cellar bar until 12.30am but were unceremoniously kicked out at 12 and asked to go upstairs to the lounge where we were then told we were being too noisy (we weren't) - we suggested they should have left us in the cellar if they didn't want a big group of people taking up their lounge and were once again asked to be quiet and respect the other residents sitting in the lounge (of which there were none).If felt like we were being told off like small children and as my friend had paid a FORTUNE for the party it felt like very bad taste indeed.

Nonetheless, the stay was comfortable and the next morning we had breakfast delivered to the room.

However, upon checking out I was met with a larger bill than I expected as breakfast (that the day before I had been told was included) had been charged.I queried it and they confirmed breakfast was NOT included...£40!!I suggested that they could have got their facts right at the very least and was told I had to be careful and look out for hidden charges???I just paid it and left, feeling slightly confused and a bit mad but not really in the mood to challenge it further.

It's a nice place, but it was an expensive room only rate and I didn't like being talked down to like a child.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank Heather B
Reviewed 30 August 2016

This was our 5th stay in the last 8 years and it never fails to deliver.

Allthough a bit pricey it's worth pushing the boat out if you can.

The service throughout the hotel is great.

The rooms are outstanding and the food in the resturant is wonderful.

If I was going to have anything bad seeing as it was our 5th visit a 'welcome back' by the reception staff wouldn't have gone a miss but that's just nitpicking

Room Tip: Book your treatments before you get there as they can book up quickly and try and avoid staying if their is a wedding going on.
Reviewed 26 August 2016

My wife and I were part of a large group celebrating a reunion. All arrangements had been put in place for our two night stay and everything went pretty much to plan. The group was allocated a separate room for meals and planned events so other guests were not inconvenienced. Unlike some previous experiences at other hotels we were not treated like lepers, and there was adequate and competent staffing. We were asked to choose menu items in advance and the named table place cards had that person's choices printed on the back as an aide memoire. Impressively staff delivered the correct dish to each person-there was no "who ordered the...." Well trained staff have the ability to work as a team and that was very obvious here. The food quality and presentation was of a high standard throughout. In general the staff were pleasant and extremely helpful. As I have mobility problems I was allocated an accessible room almost adjacent to reception. In fact it was a suite of three rooms of incredible spaciousness. The bedroom was the usual set up in terms of furniture, the plus factors being a huge bed but with plenty of manoeuvering space. There was plenty of hanging and storage space. The standard bathroom was enormous with a double size shower and a bath. The third room was an equally enormous wet room with plenty of grab rails and fold down bars. The shower area had the best fold down seat I have come across, being comfortable and well balanced, making folding up or down very easy. The shower and its controls were within easy reach when sitting down. The one negative was the lack of a shower curtain, meaning the standard tiles outside the immediate shower area became wet and slippy.
The architecture is a mix of ages, some of it being in the style of the older parts. Inside there is the comfortable feel of wooden panelling and plush furnishing but again not all is original. The grounds are very well kept but the flower borders are somewhat bare and lack colour and interest.
Other members of our group reported the spa facilities as being very good.
Overall I would have no hesitation in suggesting Rushton Hall is well worth a visit.

Stayed: August 2016