Open today: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
PADI Instructor Development Course (IDC)

I had a great time last year doing my Divemaster internship with Excel, so i've decided to do my... read more

Reviewed 2 days ago
tomek1900094
Poznan, Poland
IDC Training

I just did my IDC at Excel Scuba and it was absolutely fantastic. Colin Scowcroft is an amazing... read more

Reviewed 2 days ago
Lucía C
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Playa de las Americas
from US$74.84
from US$40.30
from US$32.24
More Info
All reviews scuba diving divemaster internship fun dives yellow mountain trumpet fish advanced open water angel sharks maximum depth personal recommendation rescue diver course open water course dive centre local dive dive experience whole team these guys safe hands
Reviewed 26 October 2018 via mobile

I had a very good time doing my divemaster as an intern at Excel Scuba during one month.

If you just intend to go fun diving or take a course there, you will discover great diving spots and have a lot of fun with the team and I highly recommend you to choose Excel Scuba for that.

If you are still reading, then you are interested in doing an internship there and in my view it is the best way to begin a career in the diving industry. Point by point these are the elements you need to know.

The shop is located in La Playa de las Americas but interns live in houses in Abades, a small town 25 minutes away. Abades is a really nice place, peaceful, there is a small supermarket, some restaurants and bars where employees are very friendly.

Most of the dives are done from the beach of Abades, 2 minutes on foot from the house. This is a very good place to dive, the maximum depth is 16m there. It is a marine protected area as a result there is a lot of marine life. If you are lucky you will see a ray (I saw two of them in four weeks) and if you are very lucky you may see a turtle (I was not lucky enough to see it). Each dive is different there.

Interns are divided in two groups: morning shift and afternoon shift. Morning shift go to the shop to prepare kits for everybody (clients and interns), then everybody meets at the beach, does two dives, and afternoon shift go to the shop after that to clean kits. You alternate between morning and afternoon shift.

Dave is a real expert in his field and will help you with whatever issue you may face. Michelle is very friendly and enthusiastic and will make the EFR course very fun.
Sammi and Sean are the best instructors you may have. They are truly passionated by teaching scuba diving and they will give you useful tips if you have issues. They know perfectly how to balance professionalism and fun.

In general the schedule is not very busy, you have time to study or visit and I highly recommend you to plan things as soon as you arrive and dare to ask. You may think you will have time to visit the volcano or the north of the island but things go super fast and you realize during your last week that there was so much things you wanted to do and you did not. Also boat dives are not included and planned in the internship so you should ask the staff for one as you will go to incredible spots and have a very high probability to see turtles, rays and angel sharks. Ask also to go to Tabaiba to dive on the wreck. It is deep, 30m, and definitely worth it.

Keep in mind that at Excel Scuba clients are the primary concern of the staff. So the schedule and diving spots are adapted for them. It is the best way to learn how to handle clients but, it may sometimes affect your plans.

As a conclusion, Excel Scuba is the perfect place to do a divemaster internship, I could not imagine it better. Dave, Michelle, Sammi and Sean will give you the best experience you can imagine.

Date of experience: July 2018
Reviewed 18 October 2018

I arrived in May 2018 as an advanced open water student to complete my dive master certification... I stayed on to complete my dive instructor certification in the last IDC/IE. I highly recommend EXCEL SCUBA TENERIFE. I loved my time with Excel scuba tenerife, Dave and Michelle are really there for you with any questions or advice you may need. the dive sites they frequent In my opinion are among the best in the south side of the island, and they are aquiring the use of boats more now to visit more remote dive sites. thier local dive site of Abades is a magical dive because they keep it so pristine and clean.. its full of sea life.
Diving with Excel will give you a wide spectrum of types of diving as well as how to handle diving with customers if you are an intern... if you are coming as a customer you will be in very safe hands as the interns and instructors are there for you.
Dave and Michelle teach their interns about professionalism and how to be great divers, all the interns ive personally seen come and go have left happy and very good divers, no matter their experience level before arriving...

I hope this review helps you decide to dive with Excel scuba, ANd I hope you enjoy your time with them as much as I have.
Sii

Date of experience: May 2018
Reviewed 8 October 2018

I had the Divemaster Internship with Excel Scuba for 2,5 months and this was literally the best time in my life! I've never dived before taking the Internship, but i always loved swimming and the water, so it was a little bit risky to commit to something that i've never tried before, but after my first dive (and every next of course) i felt really excited and happy :).

So, what the typical day looks like?
You live together with the other interns in the house, after you wake up and you are ready to go, you drive to the Excel shop to collect your gear (fresh tanks, clean and dry equipment) and then you go to the dive site. Sometimes you don't have to go to the shop, when you are going to dive in Abades (which dive site is like 5 min by foot from the house you live).
Now the cool part, diving! There are different types of activities you will do, like surface/underwater skills practice, taking care of clients, leading the dive, discovering new places, etc. all are fun.
Then there are some post-diving stuff to take care of, like cleaning the equipment and after that you have rest of the day free.
In my case i've spend my free time on studying, because overall during these 2,5 months i did 4 main courses and 10 specialities, which comes with a lot of books to read. But i've also spend my free time with the other interns, or on sightseeing.
This is more or less the day to day routine, from Monday to Saturday. Sundays are officially free, but if you want and i highly encourage you, is to take a fun dives that day!
The routine breakers are study/exam days, but there is not many days like that.

What do i need to start?
Basically you need you and positive attitude :) Dave and Michelle take great care about you. They will provide you with the right materials to study, they will supply you with the equipment (that you can experiment with, like different fins, masks, etc.), insurance, etc.

About Dave and Michelle.
They are absolutely great! They treat us interns like the part of family. They are kind, helpful and making jokes :D. They pay attention to PADI standards and are very professional.

Date of experience: January 2018
Reviewed 28 September 2018

From the start we had excellent response and Michelle in office was great. On arrival we were made very welcome, were not allowed to help but asked to relax and sit back. We were picked up from hotel, driven to office then beach for diving and the course was run so well we were both completely shell shocked. Sammi was fantastic along with all the staff. Friendly, competent, helpful and so eager to help. My friend and I both had our problems in certain dive areas yet the calmness and excellent teaching skills brought us around to conquer our fears and succeed. The Three day open water course was not. Enough for me and I am rebooking now for the advanced in a months time.
We can not recommend Excel highly enough, please use this company if you want a relaxed, competent, skilled, fun diving course and a great few days in very pleasurable company.
Thank you to all at Excel for getting Steve and Shaun through the first course. See you next month for the advanced.

Date of experience: September 2018
Reviewed 13 September 2018 via mobile

English run company with plenty of friendly staff. Excellent level of email and phone communication making arrangements simple and clear. They were very keen to make arrangements to suite my wishes for further dives. Unfortunately only did two dives at Tabaiba Wreck which is worth while, and had to cancel my further dive which they were absolutely fine with. Would certainly use and recommend excel. Would just suggest an earlier start to the morning dives. 8.45 meet at the shop means you are getting back well after lunch.

Date of experience: September 2018
1  Thank bensW1988YV
Dave H, Owner at Excel Scuba Tenerife, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2018

Hi Ben,

Thank you for taking he time to leave us a really nice review, it was our pleasure to take you diving.

Just to answer your question on the time we start, having 10 years experience managing and owning a dive centre in holiday resorts I have found over many surveys we have carried out that as much as 95% don't want to be at the dive centre before 09.00 as they are on holiday, if anything they would rather start a lot later around 10-11.00. hence us sticking with the 08.45 at the dive centre.
The other problem we have is that it doesn't actually get light here until around 8am in the summer and even later in winter months unfortunately.

Once again thank you for the great review and myself and the team hope to see you back here soon.

Dave