“Divemaster Internship”

Excel Scuba Tenerife
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Excel Scuba Tenerife, located in the centre of Playa De Las Americas can offer you a wide variety of scuba diving. From beginners and first time divers, we offer all Padi courses, guided dives for all levels and full day dive excursion packages which include beach BBQ and time to relax after your Tenerife dive. Our dive centre is located 5 minutes away from the glorious Las Vistas Beach.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Lockers / storage
Reviewed 8 October 2018

I had the Divemaster Internship with Excel Scuba for 2,5 months and this was literally the best time in my life! I've never dived before taking the Internship, but i always loved swimming and the water, so it was a little bit risky to commit to something that i've never tried before, but after my first dive (and every next of course) i felt really excited and happy :).

So, what the typical day looks like?
You live together with the other interns in the house, after you wake up and you are ready to go, you drive to the Excel shop to collect your gear (fresh tanks, clean and dry equipment) and then you go to the dive site. Sometimes you don't have to go to the shop, when you are going to dive in Abades (which dive site is like 5 min by foot from the house you live).
Now the cool part, diving! There are different types of activities you will do, like surface/underwater skills practice, taking care of clients, leading the dive, discovering new places, etc. all are fun.
Then there are some post-diving stuff to take care of, like cleaning the equipment and after that you have rest of the day free.
In my case i've spend my free time on studying, because overall during these 2,5 months i did 4 main courses and 10 specialities, which comes with a lot of books to read. But i've also spend my free time with the other interns, or on sightseeing.
This is more or less the day to day routine, from Monday to Saturday. Sundays are officially free, but if you want and i highly encourage you, is to take a fun dives that day!
The routine breakers are study/exam days, but there is not many days like that.

What do i need to start?
Basically you need you and positive attitude :) Dave and Michelle take great care about you. They will provide you with the right materials to study, they will supply you with the equipment (that you can experiment with, like different fins, masks, etc.), insurance, etc.

About Dave and Michelle.
They are absolutely great! They treat us interns like the part of family. They are kind, helpful and making jokes :D. They pay attention to PADI standards and are very professional.

All reviews
"shop"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed 8 October 2018

Reviewed 28 September 2018

From the start we had excellent response and Michelle in office was great. On arrival we were made very welcome, were not allowed to help but asked to relax and sit back. We were picked up from hotel, driven to office then beach for diving and the course was run so well we were both completely shell shocked. Sammi was fantastic along with all the staff. Friendly, competent, helpful and so eager to help. My friend and I both had our problems in certain dive areas yet the calmness and excellent teaching skills brought us around to conquer our fears and succeed. The Three day open water course was not. Enough for me and I am rebooking now for the advanced in a months time.
We can not recommend Excel highly enough, please use this company if you want a relaxed, competent, skilled, fun diving course and a great few days in very pleasurable company.
Thank you to all at Excel for getting Steve and Shaun through the first course. See you next month for the advanced.

Reviewed 17 September 2018

See more reviews
Reviewed 13 September 2018 via mobile

English run company with plenty of friendly staff. Excellent level of email and phone communication making arrangements simple and clear. They were very keen to make arrangements to suite my wishes for further dives. Unfortunately only did two dives at Tabaiba Wreck which is worth while, and had to cancel my further dive which they were absolutely fine with. Would certainly use and recommend excel. Would just suggest an earlier start to the morning dives. 8.45 meet at the shop means you are getting back well after lunch.

1  Thank bensW1988YV
Dave H, Owner at Excel Scuba Tenerife, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2018

Hi Ben,

Thank you for taking he time to leave us a really nice review, it was our pleasure to take you diving.

Just to answer your question on the time we start, having 10 years experience managing and owning a dive centre in holiday resorts I have found over many surveys we have carried out that as much as 95% don't want to be at the dive centre before 09.00 as they are on holiday, if anything they would rather start a lot later around 10-11.00. hence us sticking with the 08.45 at the dive centre.
The other problem we have is that it doesn't actually get light here until around 8am in the summer and even later in winter months unfortunately.

Once again thank you for the great review and myself and the team hope to see you back here soon.

Dave