Open today: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Fantastic dive centre

Great dive centre with experienced friendly staff! Would highly recommended, well maintained kit... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
Stephen G
via mobile
Amazing divemaster internship

I had a very good time doing my divemaster as an intern at Excel Scuba during one month. If you... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
Bonisseur
Dinard, France
via mobile

All reviews angel shark fun dives yellow mountain cuttlefish divemaster internship maximum depth days diving dive sites marine life a lot of fun my partner friendly staff ben dave wreck turtles shop
Reviewed 13 August 2018

Having returned from a 9 week period in Tenerife completing the Divemaster Internship with Excel Scuba, I can happily say that I do not regret my choice!

The staff (Dave, Michelle, Sean and Sammi) were incredibly friendly, and more than willing to answer any questions I had from beginning to end. Dave's knowledge base is incredible, and Sammi and Sean are role models underwater, ensuring that everything goes right on the day so you don't have to worry about it. Mini the dog is also ace, just ignore the initial barking and you'll be besties for life!

The people on my internship were some of the best folks I've met in my life. Whilst people come and go, during the 9 weeks I met 12+ interns (normally 6-8 at any one time) and found that the group dynamic was always excellent, very relaxed and everyone made sure to keep the entire group in the loop with social plans. This really enhanced the experience beyond just the diving, and meant I got to explore the island, culture and the occasional beach party. Make sure to ask the instructors for recommendations; they've been there a while now!

A few serious notes (but not negatives by any standard!) for those considering the internship:
- Bear in mind this is an internship, not a 1-2 month fun dive stint! Customers who are not on the internship will come first, and you are expected to help them; this is a big part of the internship! You really do learn what to expect from a dive shop operation, including common customer problems, dive planning, equipment and more, which is not only awesome, but really strengthens your knowledge and confidence, both in and out of the water.
- Prepare to dive in the same location, Abades, frequently. This is where you will be living as well, so it makes the logistics really easy, and you can easily progress through your Divemaster qualification here. Personal recommendation; keep Abades fresh by entering and swimming to the right, not the left, on your fun dives - I had some of my best dives doing this!
- At the beginning of your time there, it's okay to not know exactly what's going on. Eventually you'll get into the flow of things, but just ask people what you can do to help. After 1-2 weeks, you'll be showing the newbies the ropes!
- Don't ask, and you don't get! If you want to try a new dive location, ask one of the instructors. Sometimes it won't be possible because of certain courses running, but they want to fun dive as much as you do, so make sure to enquire and do some cool stuff!
- It's worth noting that unless you ask for a boat dive, you will be doing shore entries for your time in Tenerife.

I loved my time at Excel Scuba, and couldn't recommend it enough! Massive thanks to all the people and staff who made my time there what it was :D

Dan Powell

1  Thank Dan P
Reviewed 8 August 2018 via mobile

My 12yr old daughter did her first scuba dive with these guys and she absolutely loved it. To begin with she was very nervous and a little unsure about the whole thing but the whole team made her feel at ease and gave her lots of reassurance. Sean took her for her dive and he was totally great with her. He made her feel comfortable and never left her side while she was in the water. My daughter hasn't stopped talking about her experience and how patient Sean was with her as it took her a few goes before she got the hang of things. The whole team were so helpful, reassuring and friendly and i wouldn't hesitate to recommend them and i would definitely use them again should we come back to Tenerife. Thanks Sean and the rest of the team for making my daughters first dive such a great and memorable experience.

1  Thank lisahough75
Reviewed 17 July 2018 via mobile

On our last day here in Tenerife we decided to go scuba diving. We order our dive online and show up at their store at half past 8 in the morning. After some quick paperwork we are escorted to the diving site about 20 minutes away from the store. When there, we were given our equipment and a run down of diving theory and skills.

Finally after all that was over with, we headed into the water with high expectations given this was our very first dive. We start of with the basics and run through breathing under water all the way to finding your mouthpiece while underwater if you somehow get it pulled out.

After the shalllow water testing and practicing we continue with our diving buddy into a bit deeper waters where a great view of a coral rief awaits us. We swam through the reef pretty freely, with professional divers right behind us, ready to interfere should anything happen.

Would definitely recommend this experience, as the diving was lovely and the staff was helpful, friendly and amiable. After this splendid introduction we will definitely keep diving, and i fear this experience has sparked a new and possibly costly interest.

Reviewed 13 July 2018 via mobile

I went to Dave and Michelle as a rescue diver to complete my DM in april for 7 weeks. Between Daves expertise of the diving world and the people that were it really did make it the best place to be! Accomodation is walking distance to where the majority of the diving is done which maked it that much better especially for fun diving in your spair time. Really can not rate this dive center enough! If you are looking for a fun couple of months with great people go no further than excel!

Reviewed 12 July 2018 via mobile

Amazing !!!! My month in Tenerife with everyone at Excel was just amazing.

Dave and Michelle are really welcome and friendly (the pair of northern fairies) but mini the pooch the real attraction of the shop :-)

The instructors, Sean and Sammi were very professional and went out of their way to help me, even in their personal time... they also became like family to me..... as did everyone I shared my time with.

On my first night all of the interns and instructors came together to welcome me at a meal in abades square where I was instantly made to feel at home, and within days I felt like I had been there forever.. the whole experience has made me a better diver and person all around. To top it off I passed my divemaster with flying colours because of the help they all provided and I have now already booked to return for my IDC course because I know and trust that all the help and support I need will be there.

If you want to do an internship or just go and dive for fun excel should be your go too place in the canaries.... you will not regret it.