“Superb sole meunière”

Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: French, Seafood, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Sea food restaurant, mussels and homemade chips. French gastronomic specialities like Foie Gras, local fishes,... Family restaurant with child menu Large wine list
Reviewed 23 July 2018

We wandered around St Omer searching for a restaurant that offered fish and seafood. We avoided the main square (touristy) and found Le P'tit Montmartre close to our Ibis hotel. I don't often eat Dover sole (despite it being a firm favourite) because it is difficult to cook well. The chef delivered a 5-star plate. The sole was cooked to perfection, and I savoured every mouthful. I'd chosen foie gras as my starter, so obviously had no space for a dessert! This meal was truly memorable, especially as it was our last night in France. Don't be deceived by the modest decor, the chef knows exactly what he's doing with fish, and that's what matters. I'm hoping St Omer will become a regular stop-off for us in the future.... I can't wait for that next sole meunière!

1  Thank Claire K

Reviewed 19 July 2018

There is a plethora of very good restaurants in St Omer, but having eaten here at least twice a year for the past 25 years, I reckon this is the premier place to indulge yourself in some a-typical French gastronomy. I came back here by way of a nostalgic visit after my wife’s passing last year, and was treated to a superb dinner, which, for 3 courses, together with a small piche of house white, and another of their excellent house red, and a conclusion with a cafe creme and VS Cognac came to the very acceptable total of 45 Euros. The starter was a fantastic medley of very large scallops with a massive king prawn, a large portion of lamb cooked to perfection, with a selection of vegetables (4 minutes in I was presented with an additional bowl of French fries) and followed by a substantial creme brûlée. I thoroughly recommend this place .... there are a lot of other very good restaurants in the area, but ry this one first!

2  Thank N R
Reviewed 17 July 2018

Wanted to try a different seafood restaurant and was certainly not disappointed. We arrived a little early but were shown to our table straight away. Lovely atmosphere and very attentive staff. For a Monday evening most tables were soon taken. Oysters fresh and a good size. Saint-Jacques (scallops) were so fresh and cooked perfect in a deviné creamy sauce. Red mullet was delicate and again cooked to perfection. Wine is priced well and a nice selection available. Will certainly be returning now we've found a gem of a local seafood restaurant.

1  Thank JANE H
Reviewed 2 July 2018 via mobile

Went on a Sunday evening, ate from menu de marche and had a lovely 3 course meal which was very reasonably priced. The house white wine was perfect with the fish.

2  Thank Jenny W
Reviewed 28 June 2018

Very nice atmosphere with good friendly service. Set menu with added daily suggestions providing a wide choice. The food is well cooked & presented. Would certainly eat there again as such good value.

2  Thank lizanneSurrey