“Classic Steakhouse”
Review of The Capital Grille

The Capital Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 9,037 Restaurants in Houston
Price range: US$0 - US$80
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Yorktown
Description: You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service. One of only a few restaurants in Houston to receive the DiRona (Distinguished Restaurants of North America) Award.
Reviewed 5 September 2018 via mobile

I eat at upscale steakhouses probably 4-5 times a year, and each time I do so I am reminded of how much I enjoy this style of dining. The rich and savory cuts of meat, the plentiful bounty of family-style sides, the cocktails and wine, and the friendly service. This time around my wife & I dined at The Capital Grille with some of our friends for a Houston Restaurant Weeks + Generous Pour duo and it was fantastic. Not only is the Generous Pour an absolute bargain (especially given that this year's highlight was Duckhorn wines) but this year's Houston Restaurant Week's menu was also particularly well-crafted and thoughtful. While this was both my wife & I's first time dining at The Capital Grille I can easily foresee it not being our last time.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed 28 August 2018

The Capital Grille has incredible steaks that melt in your mouth. The wait staff is highly attentive. Ambiance is elegant and classy. I would recommend any of their locations for a special occasion or for a client dinner to impress.

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed 28 August 2018

This is a typical very high-end steak house that is very nicely appointed with great service, but for the price, it is wished that the food was superb rather than just really good (which it is). I can't fault it for anything but that. Everything is a la carte, and there is no getting around that your tap will be "up there" quickly. Be prepared--if you don't have an expense account! For the "regular person", it is definitely a special occasion experience.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

This is an upper end classic steak house, and has a few famous folks favourite wines under lock and key in the front, including George W’s.

Overall a great restaurant, they will make almost anything for you on request, we asked for just berries and unsweetened creme fraiche for dessert and there it was!

Wine selection is extensive, lots to choose from, including by the glass.

Tables are set far enough apart so that you can have a conversation without being in
someone else’s lap.

Our waitress (and I can’t remember her name) was absolutely fantastic, just a card to talk to, she bantered with us, made excellent suggestions for meals and was probably the best waitress I’ve had in a long time.

By all accounts from my friends, the steaks were excellent and they looked it. They appeared to be on par with a restaurant of this stature.

I chose something different, the Alaskan king crab legs, already cracked. Just delicious. If they have it on special, get it, because it was the best crab legs I’ve had.

The Mac and cheese is an amazingly good side, a must have recommended by our waitress.

Not too noisy, great ambience, a mainstay option to choose from.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 17 August 2018

My wife and I are both in our 60's, but we just celebrated our 4th anniversary last month. To mark the occasion, we spent the weekend in Houston. To start things off, I made reservations at the Capital Grill on Westheimer. I cannot begin to tell you how special they made us feel. We had a reservation for 7:00 and we arrived right around that time. They immediately took us to a waiting table with a congratulatory note and a lovely rose with petals (see attached pic). Our waiter, Jacob Torres, was very personable and professional. My wife and I had drinks, a great appetizer of boiled shrimp and lump crab meat, split a huge steak with a couple of great sides, and were treated to a very special dessert compliments of the house. It was already a great night when Jacob informed us that my wife's son had called in and paid for the meal. Wow! Words cannot begin to describe how honored and special we felt! We thanked the manager, Steve Joest for making our night so memorable and we made sure to brag about Jacob!

Thank you to Steve, Jacob, and the staff at Capital Grille for making this such a special night.

Date of visit: July 2018