“1st Time ”

Cool Runnings Jamaican Grill
Ranked #450 of 8,898 Restaurants in Houston
Reviewed 26 May 2018 via mobile

We went on a Friday night. Greeter was nice and she seated us. Greeter came and apologized because she noticed waiter hadn't come to our table. Waiter showed up thereafter gave us a menu and left . She came back took our food order. When she came back we explained this was our 1st visit. We asked if they had a drink menu or appetizer menu. She said no to drink menu and asked if we wanted to try the patty for an appetizer. She never gave us a variety to choose from.
She named one item,the patty for us to try. We were hungry so we said sure. She said they had rum punch,margaritas,wine and beer. We both said we would try the rum punch which is not what we wanted, but we could see what we were working with. Rum punch was strong, we only had one because she never returned. My husband ordered the curry goat and I ordered fried fish. Both were delicious. After we received our food. We never saw our waitress again until I asked greeter for water refill and by then we were finish eating. She informed my husband and I that she had a bigger table to tend to, therefore I left my bigger tip in my purse. I really hate when I have to do that but we saw her wait on 3 other tables throughout our stay. We tried to get her attention several times but she never paid attention. We recommend this restaurant because the food was delicious,fresh and hot. Has great atmosphere. I couldn't give them a 2 Star because of waiter but I do hope they train her on customer service and multitasking. The place wasn't that busy. I hate if it was, although I don't think could have gotten worst. This is the most authentic Jamacian food we have had since visiting Jamaica. I recommend you try them. May be u will get a better waitress.

Reviewed 2 March 2018

Stopped here for dinner with two co-workers after reading about it having been featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. Older neighborhood and not very well lit, Cool Runnings' sign is like a beacon in the night. We ordered some of the festival (fried sweet bread) which was like eating a hot beignet without the mess. We also ordered fried coconut shrimp ($6.99 for 5 pieces). Shrimp was good though the sauce was perplexing. We all tried it but couldn't quite figure the sauce out.

For entrees, both co-workers ordered the jerk chicken ($10.99) while I opted for the coconut curry shrimp ($13.49). Like many have noted, the portions here are huge. I was able to finish everything on the plate though I left feeling like I could pop at any moment. My co-workers finished only about 1/2 of their plates but were each very happy with the taste and quality of the food.

Per the waitress, live music is available on the weekends. We enjoyed our first Cool Runnings experience and would recommend this venue to anyone looking for a break from the dining norm.

Reviewed 5 February 2018

I was invited to this restaurant by a friend from the islands. I must admit Jamaican Food hadn't been on my radar and wasn't a part of my restaurant rotation. However, after eating an order of Jerk Pork, I am hooked. I opted out for the rice and beans and steamed vegetables which was cabbage as my sides. The plate also came with plantains. The food was very delicious and a small portion will fill you up. This restaurant is now a part of my rotation.

Reviewed 29 January 2018 via mobile

The food was delicious! The curry chicken and sautéed cabbage was excellent. I really enjoyed the brown chicken stew and jerk chicken too. There were too many choices and I didn't have enough room to try them all. The rum cake topped off my meal. My family will definitely be back! The music was fun and our waitress was so friendly and attentive.

Reviewed 8 January 2018

The Jerk chicken is fantastic...hot sauce is fantastic too (be sure to get some and put it on the rice). Curry chicken also good. I try to stop in several times per year (I live downtown so its a short hike but worth it). Location is NOT fancy so wear some comfortable clothing, relax and be prepared to enjoy some good food! I used them for catering an event with about 50 serious foodie friends and everyone loved it! Trust me, this was a tough crowd that regularly eats out at some of the best restaurants in Houston (Masraf's, B&B, Caracol, Pappas, Brennan's, Steak 48, MF Sushi, etc) and the food was a hit due to the great flavor/seasons (thank you again Cool Runnings)! If you like your food very lightly seasoned, this is not the place for you.