“Irie, Mon.”

Cool Runnings Jamaican Grill
Ranked #449 of 8,907 Restaurants in Houston
Reviewed 2 March 2018

Stopped here for dinner with two co-workers after reading about it having been featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. Older neighborhood and not very well lit, Cool Runnings' sign is like a beacon in the night. We ordered some of the festival (fried sweet bread) which was like eating a hot beignet without the mess. We also ordered fried coconut shrimp ($6.99 for 5 pieces). Shrimp was good though the sauce was perplexing. We all tried it but couldn't quite figure the sauce out.

For entrees, both co-workers ordered the jerk chicken ($10.99) while I opted for the coconut curry shrimp ($13.49). Like many have noted, the portions here are huge. I was able to finish everything on the plate though I left feeling like I could pop at any moment. My co-workers finished only about 1/2 of their plates but were each very happy with the taste and quality of the food.

Per the waitress, live music is available on the weekends. We enjoyed our first Cool Runnings experience and would recommend this venue to anyone looking for a break from the dining norm.

Reviewed 5 February 2018

I was invited to this restaurant by a friend from the islands. I must admit Jamaican Food hadn't been on my radar and wasn't a part of my restaurant rotation. However, after eating an order of Jerk Pork, I am hooked. I opted out for the rice and beans and steamed vegetables which was cabbage as my sides. The plate also came with plantains. The food was very delicious and a small portion will fill you up. This restaurant is now a part of my rotation.

Reviewed 29 January 2018 via mobile

The food was delicious! The curry chicken and sautéed cabbage was excellent. I really enjoyed the brown chicken stew and jerk chicken too. There were too many choices and I didn't have enough room to try them all. The rum cake topped off my meal. My family will definitely be back! The music was fun and our waitress was so friendly and attentive.

Reviewed 8 January 2018

The Jerk chicken is fantastic...hot sauce is fantastic too (be sure to get some and put it on the rice). Curry chicken also good. I try to stop in several times per year (I live downtown so its a short hike but worth it). Location is NOT fancy so wear some comfortable clothing, relax and be prepared to enjoy some good food! I used them for catering an event with about 50 serious foodie friends and everyone loved it! Trust me, this was a tough crowd that regularly eats out at some of the best restaurants in Houston (Masraf's, B&B, Caracol, Pappas, Brennan's, Steak 48, MF Sushi, etc) and the food was a hit due to the great flavor/seasons (thank you again Cool Runnings)! If you like your food very lightly seasoned, this is not the place for you.

Reviewed 24 October 2017 via mobile

This restaurant has some of the best Caribbean Cusine in Houston, the service was great and the atmosphere reminded me of back home