“Love this Olde Bar!”
Review of Galvez Bar & Grill

Galvez Bar & Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Galvez Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 319 Restaurants in Galveston
Price range: US$10 - US$32
Cuisines: Pizza, Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 21st Street
Description: Galvez Bar & Grill, located in the historic Hotel Galvez, specializes in fresh, local seafood purchased at Galveston's Pier 19 and Texas regional cuisine. Diners can enjoy Texas-sized Po Boys, fresh fish served blackened, grilled and fried as well as steak and other items on its grill menu. The bar offers an extensive menu featuring slides, flatbread pizzas and prohibition inspired cocktails.
Reviewed 28 December 2017

Danielle S. and Keisha made the trip worthwhile. They make a great team and a great jalapeno martini!

Christine H, Public Relations Manager at Galvez Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2018

Thank you for the glowing review of Galvez Bar and Grill. We are pleased you enjoyed the service and your jalapeno martini.

Reviewed 20 December 2017

I booked a reservation through Open Table for Brunch with Santa on Dec. 17. I couldn't have been more disappointed! Mostly frustrated for this waste of time, where I could have chosen to eat anywhere else. But I chose this event because of Santa.This was a day for my 2 year old granddaughter to see Santa. My son and I had been building her up for this for a couple of weeks.

We thought Santa would at least walk around to say hello and interact with everyone. He did not!! The only walking he did was to keep walking to go on break or whatever.

In fact, we arrived at 12:30, and my granddaughter was so excited.

One of the staff members said, "oh you just missed him." So my son and I checked in and were seated. We took turns getting our food. We wanted to at least enjoy the meal. But still no Santa. I caught a glimpse of him sitting in a chair in the lobby. We heard bells jingling and my granddaughter got excited again. I saw Santa walking through the buffet area again. We waited another 30 minutes, and he never came back.

I called the waitress over for the check. By that time, Santa was clearly absent so I asked when he was coming back. She said she'd ask. When she came back and told us he was not returning, I couldn't wait to get the hell out of there.

So for two hours to eat at the price I paid for two glimpses of Santa, you can bet I'll never be back, for this event or any other. No announcement, no message from the waitress like, oh you might want to get up from your table and go see Santa now - no nothing.

My son and I were more disappointed than my granddaughter, as she didn't know he was gone. But we attended this whole event just for her. The waitress brought an elf toy over to her because Santa wasn't coming back.

So $100 down and we got food and an elf.

For $4.99 I could have gotten her a happy meal and a toy at McDonald's!!!

3  Thank Candi W

Please accept our sincere apologies. We are very sorry our Santa was a fail for you and your family. Please know we appreciate your feedback and this review will be passed along to the appropriate staff and will be addressed for next year. Again, we are very sorry.

Reviewed 12 December 2017

If you're staying at the Galvez, dining at the Galvez Bar and Grill is very convenient. The restaurant is located in the same place in the hotel it was located when they opened over 100 years ago. Their menu features a lot of fresh sea food along with steak and chicken and burgers. We enjoyed the blackened shrimp and crab fondue, but thought $16 was too much. My cup of Texas Onion Soup with broth infused with Shiner Bock was delicious. It really had a unique flavor. Again, at $8 for a cup, it was a couple of dollars too high. I ordered their fresh catch of the day, which was red fish that I had them grill. Okay, it was amazing. Really fresh, you could taste it! Really good. But again, $35 for a small-ish filet of fish was too much, even if it was caught that day. It's a good thing we had the appetizer and I had the soup because entree, the small-ish fish with vegetables, wasn't enough to fill me up. Even for $25, I wouldn't have balked at it. $35 was too much for what I got. Still, if you're staying at the Galvez or even if you're not, it's worth at least one trip to the Galvez Bar & Grill to see the amazing historic bar, and dine in the same spot people dined in this elegant hotel over a century ago.

Reviewed 21 November 2017

We ate every meal here on our recent stay and everything was excellent. The gumbo is fantastic, the catch of the day was excellent, the fondue was over the top! A special shout out to our new friend Nanette. She made our evenings delightful and provided excellent recommendations.

Thank you for the glowing review of Galvez Bar and Grill. We appreciate your kind comments and will pass this along.

Reviewed 30 October 2017 via mobile

We enjoyed a wonderful brunch with family, my husband and I experienced our first brunch here and it was awesome. Thanks to Miguel and Dianne our waiter and waitress, for making this a memorable experience.

Thank you for the glowing review of Sunday Brunch at Hotel Galvez. We hope to see you again soon.