“Experience the river of so much serenity”

River Country Adventours
Ranked #2 of 2 things to do in Kyabram
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: River Country Adventours, Victoria, Australia offer a wide range of tours and adventures including Outback Flights, Wine tours, Canoe Safaris on the Goulburn River, and Eco-Tourism and Heritage Tours throughout Victoria. For groups large and small, day trips and extended tours.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Experience the river of so much serenity”
Reviewed 19 November 2015

If you’re looking for a relaxing (but not lazy) day canoeing one of Victoria’s most pristine and wildlife-rich rivers, look no further.
My partner and I were lucky enough to be gifted a half-day on the Goulburn River, so drove the 2 hours from Melbourne one sunny Saturday morning with great anticipation.

Rob at Aventours runs a very nice service, delivered in a fuss-free, friendly and casual way. At no point were we rushed (I was a little concerned that driving from Melbourne we’d be running late).
As it turned out we were a little delayed (you never know when you’ll end up behind a road train when driving in the country) but Rob didn’t mention it at all, simply extended his hand for one of the most satisfying handshakes I’ve had of late, with a big grin.
You get the feeling it would take a lot to ruffle this genuine, salt-of-the-earth character’s feathers. We followed him up the highway, then on to the parking location. We were given our dry bag (to hold the all-important valuables and must-bring camera!) and then hopped into Rob’s canoe-towing ute for the 15-minute trip to our launch point upstream. On the way we saw some great Aussie bush of the straight-out-of-a-painting variety, and at various intervals Rob would put on his ‘Tour guide hat’ to fill us in on flood cycles, and flora and fauna in the area. When the guide hat was off, Rob’s sense of humour and appreciation for people from all walks of life came through in some great tales about past tour-goers.

Yep, this guy is a people person, and it was clear Rob had our number! When asked whether we’d opt for the 10, 12 or 14 km (14km) and what colour canoe we’d like (red, because they go faster!) Rob knew the answers before we gave them.
Before long, we were at the launch point. Lifejackets on, paddling demo complete, our canoe in the water, we were off. Rob told us a bit about what to expect along the way, then (other than a couple of times he checked up on us from the road) to our own devices we were left.

So it was us and the river… and what a beautiful river. The air smells fantastic, the bird life is abundant–cockatoos, galahs, ducks, kingfishers to name a few–and the serenity. So much serenity. We only saw one person, a fisherman, the entire time. Which happened to be the exact moment we had our only gumby moment and crashed into the bank. (Gently though, and it could have easily been avoided had my partner notified me he was taking a photo and hadceased to paddle. What fun!)

There’s a lot of submerged & semi-submerged fallen trees to negotiate (courtesy of the last major floods) but it’s pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Even with our lack of experience we had our vessel effortlessly gliding through the water in no time. The river varies in width, bank height, and currents enough to keep things exciting, but on the whole there’s minimal effort required to get you there. We stopped once to investigate a bottle poking out of shoreline (turned out to be a vintage beer bottle) and it was easy enough to get in and out of the canoe. The only drawback was the flies, they’re all up in your face, so I recommend some sort of barrier. I wrapped my shirt around my head and that took care of it.

On the whole, this truly was a fun, relaxing, memorable experience, partaken in the hands of an experienced operator.
I highly recommend this, and if you do go, make sure you take plenty of time (as Rob says) to ‘stop and smell the roses’.

Visited November 2015
1 Thank Johanna N

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Can't think of a better way to spend a day!”
Reviewed 8 October 2015

My husband and I and our to girls 8 & 10 yrs, spent a lovely afternoon canoeing on the Goulburn River. Rob was extremely helpful and you couldn't meet a friendlier bloke! He met as at the river, we parked our car and he drove us to the starting point 12 km's up river. He supplied us with life jackets and bottled water and canoe's (of course). He gave us instructions on how the paddle and off we went. We paddled for an hour, saw a shady spot and stopped for our lunch. Rob had told us to look out for an eagle's nest and we were lucky to spot it and an eagle flying overhead at one point. We saw heaps of cockatoo's and ducks. Overall a very enjoyable afternoon. It took us just on 4hrs to paddle 12km's. I would recommend it to anyone; you don't need to be fit, just keen to give it a go. All you need is sunscreen and a hat and enthusiasm!

Visited October 2015
1 Thank Coronarex
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Brilliant day! ”
Reviewed 5 April 2015 via mobile

My Mum and I did a day tour on the Goulburn in March and absolutely loved it ! Relaxing yet fun, the 17km was a great way to see the river. The packed lunch was lovely fresh salad rolls, we also had plenty of fresh fruit and 4 bottles of water. Rob, the owner was lovely and couldn't do enough to ensure we enjoyed the day! Highly highly recommend this company and can't wait to do it again! Thanks Rob :-)

2 Thank Katendale
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Most Excellent Adventure!”
Reviewed 5 November 2014

We met up with Rob to start our self-guided adventure and were blown away by his knowledge. Rob is an amazingly, friendly person. He picked us up and took us up stream to start our adventure... we had no worries as everything was taken care for us. He let us know what to look for in ways of wildlife and he was not wrong! We canoed down the river for about 2 and a half hours. It's intermediate so anyone can do this and you don't have to be in top shape. We marvelled at the songs of the birds and stillness of the water. It was so quiet and peaceful, just breathing in all of what nature has to offer. River Country Adventours offers a wide range of packages, from self guided safaris, bridge to bridge and overnight camping. Everything is provided for you. I can honestly say the canoe trip left me speechless and I have not stopped smiling since. It was the absolute best thing we have ever done. I highly recommend booking with River Country Adventours, you won't be sorry! When my family visits from overseas, this is what we will be doing! I think Rob will be getting yearly trips from us.

Visited November 2014
2 Thank HauntingBijou
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Kayaking on the lower Goulburn”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We spent 3 days camping in the Lower Goulburn National Park near Kanyapella and 2 days kayaking along 40 km of the river. The camp site was prepared by Rob and he ferried the kayaks to the starting point upstream of the camp. At the end of the 2nd days kayaking we were picked up and transported back to our camp site. The kayaking along the river was amazing, very peaceful and we came across many birds along the river including kingfishers, sea eagles, whistling kites, cockatoos, herons and more. There was good water level flowing the entire length of our trip and we were never held up by any obstacles. River Country Adventours were extremely helpful, Rob's knowledge of the river is extensive and the service he provided was 1st class.

Visited January 2014