3,233 results
All reviews leisure facilities lovely hotel cheshire oaks set menu would stay again course meal friday night weekend break good nights sleep excellent value for money comfy bed north wales sauna and steam room biscuits stayed for one night the upper deck the verve
Reviewed 24 June 2016

Nice hotel for a break food good in restaurant only downside Sunday busy in very small pool with kids swimming lessons never again, paid for early check in but room not ready at midday informed early check in can be up to 3pm Finally checked in at 2.30pm waste of £10 never again

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
VillageStDavids, Front Office Manager at Village Hotel Chester St David's, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2016

Dear Nellie,

Thank you for your review, it is great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do have set times for the children to go into the pool so unfortunately it can get crowded.

I hope that we can welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 22 June 2016

Excellent location for the hotel and very close to the motorway junction. Check in was fast, friendly and smooth.
Upper Deck Room was nice, quite clean and the extra Sky channels and Coffee machine were nice touches.
Spa area and gym were basic and small but the Steam, Sauna and Jacuzzi were Good and great to relax in for an hour.

Now this is where the problems occurred for us THE RESTAURANT.
First of all the meal my partner had wanted even before setting off (Cod and chorizo) wasn't available as "it had been popular that day" this happens anywhere so although it might have set the mrs off on the wrong foot this wasn't an issue IMO.
I went for the Anti pasta platter with The 'selection' of meats for me was a few pieces of wafer thin Ham found in any bargain supermarket and 3 pieces of tasteless salami, again found in any corner shop. Tiny bit of mozzarella and a five olives made up the minuscule starter.
My partner went for the Pate with her only complaint that the bread, rather than crusty and breaking was sticky and hard to break.

Now the mains. I fancied the Beef Stroganoff and the Mrs, after the cod being unavailable opted for the Lamb. The portions again for £16+ were tiny. My 4 year old girl could've easily consumed both meals. My couple of pieces of Beef and little sauce on my Stroganoff. This is all very well if its a la carte or michelin star place but The taste was bland too I ended up 40% of my rice as I ran out of meat and sauce to accompany it.

The Lamb was 5 slices of lamb which apparently tasted nice but was accompanied by two strands of asparagus, few carrots, a bit of sauce and TWO sprout sized new potatoes cut in half. I understand there's cutbacks going on everywhere but two small new potatoes is ridiculous.

We never complain or leave bad reviews but We couldn't keep quiet about this so told the waiter and in particular the potatoes and he took it back to the chef who refuted our claims and sent it back out untouched "that's normal portion size"

This disservice Didn't sit very well with us and ruined slightly what was supposed to be a special night on our anniversary. I will say the waiters were nice and even agreed with our points so no fault attributed at them.

In summary, the hotel was nice and excellent value on the deal we got. The bar had a good feel about it, the rooms were nice, staff excellent so we wouldn't hesitate staying again but would certainly opt to eat in the bar area or pub a short distance away which when we popped in after the restaurant debacle looked much cheaper and with adult portions.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bigredmaca

Dear BigRedMaca,

Thank you for your review, it is great to read that as a whole you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I am sorry to read about what happened in the restaurant and immediate improvements will be made.

I hope that we can welcome you back again in the near future, if you would like to book again please email me direct on alex.adcock@village-hotels.com

Reviewed 21 June 2016 via mobile

We had an upper deck room. Extras include a coffee machine which we didn't try. Water is provided in the room but there's no fridge. There's a good size TV and Skype movies is included for free. The bed is really comfy but the pillows are really soft but that's personal preference. There was only one bath towel, we called reception and one was bought up quickly. I didn't try the toiletries but there was no shower cap. The shower was poor and the bathroom could do with a refresh, it looked dated compared to the room. The staff were all pleasant, breakfast was nothing to write home about. My husband tried a chocolate croissant and it was rock solid? There's plenty of parking at the hotel and it's free. The gym is ultra modern and it would be handy to be able to buy bottles of water, a vending machine would suffice. We didn't try the other leisure facilities but there is a pool, sauna and even a spa.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear Panda,

Thank you for your review, it is great to read that you took advantage of the Upper Deck rooms by enjoying all the amenities that come with it. I have passed over your feedback regarding our bathrooms to our maintenance manager.

I hope that we can welcome you back again in the near future so you can try our pool, sauna etc.

Reviewed 18 June 2016

One set towels in hotel room, when it was booked for two. Hotel restaurant had no gas so had to eat in pub across the road. Toilet broke, told reception and they never passed the message on, so at end of day toilet was still broke. So complained to reception and the moved us to another room, where once again only one set of towels and TV didn't work. Got free drinks and a free meal. It has been the worst Village Hotel that we have stayed in and we have stayed in a few.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear Chill,

Please do contact me directly so that we can discuss your feedback regarding your stay in more detail. My email address is alex.adcock@village-hotels.com

Reviewed 15 June 2016 via mobile

We booked the hotel for 2 nights at the beginning of the June. Staff was very pleasant at the reception...although we were only informed on arrival that we can't use swimming pool... That was the 1st disappointment. We received 20% discount on food and drink. We booked upper deck room... The room was pleasant but cleanliness let it down... There was a mark on the bedding which my partner was to tired to wait to have it changed etc so he decided he will sleep on the side with the stain... I wouldn't ... But as I said he was just to tired to mess about... Then I moved the chair and it was label bits left by the previous customers and looked like it hasn't been hoovered for a while.
Coffee/tea tray/caddy would also do with a clean. Bathroom was nice and clean ... The only let down was cobweb...
We used room service throughout our stay and accidentally while having a meal in bed we marked the duvet cover in a sauce... Being myself in the hotel business I would expect the housekeeping to change the duvet cover... Instead we just had a stained duvet pulled over the bed... That was very disappointing...
Maybe one day I would come back again to this hotel and will have a different experience as in general it's a lovely place...
I do have a couple of pictures but for some reason it won't let me add them.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
VillageStDavids, Front Office Manager at Village Hotel Chester St David's, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2016

Dear Katarzyna,

Thank you for your review, I am very sorry to read of your disappointment following your recent stay with us. Unfortunately during your stay we were carrying out some repair works to our pool so we did have to close this.

Please do contact me directly so that we can discuss your feedback regarding the room in more detail. My email address is alex.adcock@village-hotels.com

Many Thanks