All reviews stayed longer plenty of hot water bay window spacious room every direction bedroom window take away saturday afternoon william morris full english north wales mini fridge breakfast was excellent different places self catering lovely place attention to detail
Reviewed 25 June 2018

My room was one of the nicest I have experienced in this part of UK. Really pleasant and comfortable.

Staff/Owner very friendly. Wifi works well, plenty of hot water ( not always the case in UK.!), very nice "lounge" to read and relax. Breakfast excellent. I got the impression that the owners had worked hard to make the hotel very welcoming and excellent value for money.

After staying several hotels in this area over the past two years, this was unquestionably the best.

The only reason I did not give a 5 star rating was the parking problem. Presumably the business has grown faster than the car space available. This meant later cars blocking earlier arrivals and limited room to turn a car around. This would definitely not stop me from using the hotel again but, in future, during busy periods, I think I will leave the car off-site and walk a short distance to the hotel.

Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Les M
Reviewed 22 June 2018

We stayed for 3 nights in early June. Perfect weather that enhanced views for us across the Dee valley from our bedroom window. A magnificently furnished bedroom it was too, with Arts and Crafts colours and patterns to create an all round sense of Victorian Britain. Generously Victorian too was the room's spaciousness. Thanks to the beautiful weather we took food and a bottle of wine from the house bar out on to the garden terrace in the evenings and feasted on gorgeously un-commercialised North Wales scenery. We enjoyed the healthy and appetising breakfasts served each morning. The guest information file is one of the most helpful and concise we have ever come across. You know exactly where you are, what to expect and how to get it. Corwen is very well located for trips in every direction you wish to go in for the whole of North Wales, and yet is quietly, even defiantly un-touristy. As a former trainspotter I loved seeing the occasional steam engine chugging along to Corwen station, ready to transport you along one of the most glorious stretches of untouched countryside by the River Dee to Llangollen.

Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Judith80, Owner at Bron-y-Graig, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2018

Many thanks for your comments, hope to see you again!

Reviewed 17 May 2018

Whilst on a recent trip to the area, (which is absolutely beautiful, by the way), I stayed in the cottage by the side of the big house and found it very comfortable with everything I needed for a relaxing stay. The room was spacious and comfortable and the bathroom was spotless. Breakfast at the big house in the morning was superb with a wide choice of hot and cold food on offer. Also, endless hot and strong coffee was provided by the very pleasant hosts which was much appreciated!
I would certainly go back with friends and family to stay in this unique place.

Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Judith80, Owner at Bron-y-Graig, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2018

Thank you for reviewing us and we are glad you enjoyed your stay so much. We love our coffee! It's Lavazza, by the way. I will pass on your kind comments about the bathroom to our wonderful housekeeper.

Reviewed 15 May 2018 via mobile

We recently rented the holiday cottage for three days. The whole house stank of damp with the upstairs bedroom wardrobe covered in damp. Bed linen was like something from the 70’s old blankets. Dust was rife everywhere felt like I should have been cleaning instead of sightseeing. Very little of the crockery matched and cutlery was again very old. Washing machine was situated in a utility room off the kitchen the room was cluttered with ladders old freezers and again damp everywhere. Showered were attached to bath hosing so not powerful at all but at least bathrooms were clean. Owner very unfriendly throughout stay. Expected a lot better for 2018.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Rachel C
Judith80, Owner at Bron-y-Graig, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2018

This is a “revenge review” prompted by our billing the guest for damages beyond the normal wear and tear one would expect.

I was on site all weekend and chatted with the mum several times in the garden, and she did not mention any concerns with cleanliness or equipment. Our beds have cotton sheets, professionally laundered, and blankets with counterpanes, as this is more hygienic than duvets, but we could have provided duvets if required. The family requested a change of towels halfway through their 3-day stay and we provided these. Crockery in the Stables is Churchill hotel white, all matching, plus a cupboard of intentionally-mismatched quirky mugs. The cutlery is Nisbets hotel silverware in a Victorian beading design. All are regularly replaced and we are regularly complemented on our high cleaning standards.

I was completely friendly with the guests throughout their stay, including when they smashed a tower of large plant pots and drove off without comment.

Their booking was made through a reputable Welsh cottages portal which makes it clear to customers that they require a damage deposit of £150. We requested £29.94, to cover the exact cost of the broken pots.

A local couple booked the Stables on behalf of the family of 5 who actually stayed. This local couple visited at least twice during the 3-day stay, and I greeted them on each occasion. They did not raise any concerns at any time. Possibly the guests were already annoyed at not being welcome to stay with their family?

We hope that potential visitors are wise enough to compare this review with the many excellent comments we have had over the years.

Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

Booked a mountain biking trips with 11 friends, 5 months in advance to ensure a block booking. Very Helpful couple to get organised. Lovely old house with what can only be called period decor, and it grows on you..
On our return from the ride Saturday afternoon all 7 riders wanted to quickly wash our bikes off and were told not to as "they were on a meter" and "they strive to keep the place clean and didn't want muck on the drive". Only to see dried up dog poo in the living room area, which clearly been there a while (probably still there now).
I think the £840 bill might of stretched to a bit of cold water. Paying the bill on leaving Sunday morning a few of my friends commented on the man taking money being rather abrupt and felt like he was glad to see the back of us.. we are all in our 50's with some wives present..
Staff serving breakfast were excellent..

Think there may be better places around.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Toby B
Judith80, Owner at Bron-y-Graig, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2018

Toby. Really unkind of you to rip our place off just because we could not let you wash off your mountain bikes in our courtyard. As Judith explained our tap and hosepipe was out of use for the winter still as it has never stopped raining. Not dog poo, cat poo, perhaps a cat got in as most of your friends had a habit of leaving doors open and lights on, only there overnight dried by the central heating.
£840.00 does not explain the bill was only £35 per person per night for B&B. Waiter service breakfast, three courses and your friends certainly made the most of the ample food and drink available. I was the man taking the money and I was not abrupt or happy to see the back of you.
Indeed I came out into the carpark to see you personally as you had not spoken to me since I greeted you on arrival, had a good chat with the lady who worked for the NHS in Wythenshawe Hospital travelling across from Yorkshire every day to work, my mother worked at the same hospital.
If there are better places around, which I doubt, lets hope the do not read this correspondence, if they do I doubt they will let you in.
Kind regards