All reviews great selection of beers lovely atmosphere yorkshire pudding served by friendly staff hundred yards middle of town sunday lunch beef next morning first floor road noise few drinks west wales an evening meal cooked breakfast set us up for the day the bank holiday weekend
Reviewed 14 August 2015 via mobile

Decided to try this hotel for breakfast, not the best choice for service. However the breakfast was not too bad. Scrambled eggs on toast was nice but didn't get the extra toast ordered. They didn't quite get the crispy bacon for my sandwich right either and they didn't have any brown sauce. A bit of a fail really. Won't be going back. sorry.

Date of stay: August 2015
2  Thank GillM294
Reviewed 14 August 2015

Arrived at 14:40 for lunch for six, advised the restaurant was closed but we could sit in the bar . Ordered nothing complicated, two burgers, chicken, salmon salad and two Caesar salads. No Caesar salads, so another burger and some nachos + cheesy chips. 15:20 still no food or update, when asked were advised it was on its way but they were busy and only had one chef, lunch service ends at 15:00. A few minutes later the food arrived with a sincere apology and an offer for a free round of drinks by way of apology for the wait. The wait was worth it, the locally sourced beef burgers were not cooked at all how I would have cooked them, they were very rare, but declared terrific by the three who chose them and the salmon salad, the reason we chose the Castle, was voted best salad for many weeks, a proper accolade from a salad fiend. Avoid the cheesy chips though, the cheese had no flavour whatsoever. When we came to pay they had already taken the drinks off the bill. The staff though young handled the situation very professionally and if you are not seeking ultra fast food then this may be the place to go.

Date of stay: August 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 19 July 2015

Recently called in here for lunch. My husband ordered a burger which he said was okay but nothing special. I ordered cod coujons which were unfortunately badly overcooked. I attempted to eat one by removing the outer breadcrumb to find it was highly processed fish and not fish fillets. I ate the chips which had been pre-salted and I prefer to add my own to my taste. I was very disappointed. The bar person was friendly and welcoming, although she appeared to have been left on her own as the bar was left unsupervised as she showed some hotel guests to their rooms. If you charge quality prices customers expect above average food. Unfortunately this was not the case.

Date of stay: July 2015
5  Thank Homelovingal
Reviewed 19 June 2015

In the midst of all the town centre amenities and very close to the harbour. Plenty of lovely coastal walks with the NT property at Llanerchaeron nearby.
Having been to Aberaeron before we wanted to stay nearer the harbour this time. We received a warm welcome from the lovely young lady on reception (in the bar) who led us to our room (Branwen) on the 2nd floor accessed only via a staircase. First impressions were that the room was pretty small but it was well decorated, seemed clean & well maintained & had the usual facilities; hairdryer, flat screen TV, tea & coffee making facilities etc. There was an odd odour from the wardrobe which meant we lived out of our cases whist we were there. Only one chair meant most of our time in the room was spent laying on the very comfortable bed. WiFi, although advertised was via "The Cloud" and had, in our room, scant reception. The hotel's location, at a junction on the main A487, would not normally concern us but, because the period we stayed was both warm & humid, we had to leave the window in our room open. This led to a very disturbed first night due to noise from both traffic and passers by. The management suggested a fan, enabling us to close the window, but I believe that this would have just wafted the warm air around and so didn't follow this up. There was also a fair bit of noise heard from other rooms. The 2nd & 3rd nights were better however. A brilliant power shower blew away the lack of sleep and helped set us up for the day. A hearty Welsh breakfast fuelled our trips out and about. These breakfasts were amazing, good portion sizes & cooked fresh to order although, should you require, a selection of fruit and cereals were available. The staff were also generally friendly.
I would tell my friends about the Castle Hotel but, if they decided to book it, I would suggest they requested rooms at the back of the hotel.

Room tip: I would imagine that there may be larger rooms at the hotel and those towards the back of the hotel would suffer less from traffic noise.
Date of stay: June 2015
3  Thank Andy P
Reviewed 4 June 2015

Looking for lunch we decided to try Castle Hotel. The overall décor wasn't bad we headed upstairs for the dining room. We were greeted by a very friendly waitress who showed us to our table, we were the only diners. Our order was promptly taken, husband chose the prawn starter, not too much to say about it, I ordered the soup of the day quite tasty. We both ordered beef for our main, the vegetables were not to our liking regarding presentation as the red cabbage juice had stained and tainted the taste of the cauliflower and other vegs. Not to be unfair we rode it out, until we tried the beef, after a long period, void of conversation we both confessed the beef was really tough. The waitress was very attentive and when she asked is every thing ok, I had to confess to her that we are both extremely grateful we still have our own teeth, a blessing yes, or the beef would have escaped. Desert was very nice, much softer on our by now aching teeth and jaws, Do you change the cooking or change the butcher?

Date of stay: May 2015