“Great food, terrible atmosphere”

The Beauty Shop Restaurant
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Cooper Young Community Association
Cross street: Young
Description: Established in 2002. "Look Good. Eat Good." are the words emblazoned on the front windows at the Beauty Shop. This hip and trendy restaurant in the Cooper-Young district of midtown Memphis does both, as it conjures up images of a '50s-style beauty shop, formerly Priscilla Presley's curl-and-dye spot. It's a camp wonderland where the façade is Jetsons-era Vitrolite, and choice seating is offered beneath hooded Belvedere hair dryers. Nostalgia is served with a sense of humor here. The beauty shop flashback comes complete with original mint green wash basins filling in as sinks behind the hand built bar, made of tiger maple wood. The terrazzo floor is original. Glass brick stalls serve as intimate booths. Mixed with the retro renderings are modern touches such as hand-blown art-glass lights, and glamorous copper and silver-leaf walls. At this offbeat restaurant, the décor pays homage to the space's beauty parlor past, while the food offers flavors from around the globe.
Reviewed 21 March 2021

I made reservations 3-4 weeks in advance because I know this is a popular spot for brunch. I was meeting my son's girlfriend for the first time and wanted to meet in a fun but relaxed environment. The Beauty Shop looked perfect on the website. I arrived about 15 minutes early and was the 2nd person in a long line. Once the hostess took my temp she proceeds to seat me (son and gf were parking) in the "area next door." This space looked like a dive bar. The tables were wobbly, lighting and decor were terrible. Plastic sheeting or shower curtains hanging from the ceiling for COVID-19 precautions. I asked if we could be seated in the main restaurant and the waitress said the other side was completely booked. I was disappointed, to say the least... I would even say I was embarrassed to have picked this location as our meeting spot. After we ate, I walked through the main restaurant to find the bathroom and there were several open tables. Maybe the hostess didn't think I looked acceptable for the main room? Anyway, the food was great and the service was standard. If you want to sit in the main area with the cute, beauty shop atmosphere make sure you request that when you make reservations. Maybe that will help. I Will not be back. There are lots of restaurants to choose from in Memphis.

Date of visit: March 2021
KarenCarrier, Marketing at The Beauty Shop Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2021

Hello! We are sorry you didn't enjoy sitting next door at Bar DKDC. Now that capacity restrictions have lifted in Shelby County, we are no longer using the DKDC area for seating on weekends. We're happy to share we are only booking tables inside the Beauty Shop now and we apologize that we weren't able to move you to the Beauty Shop side! OpenTable automatically assigns tables (seemingly randomly) across both sides so it was never 100% in our control who was assigned to which side of the building. Luckily now that we can accommodate more guests inside the Beauty Shop this will no longer be an issue! We do hope you'll give us another shot in the future.

Reviewed 25 January 2021 via mobile

Very nostalgic and glad I went❤️just came off a very high flavor food tour. So to me the food was ok, it lacked in flavor and needed seasoning. I had the eggs that included salsa ,Tortilla chips, and guacamole and jalapeño. I was surprised it needed anything. Service was very good . I was warned that you cannot be at yr table more than 90 minutes due to Covid. Close to airport so that worked out well 👍

Date of visit: January 2021
1  Thank marelise22
Reviewed 27 September 2020 via mobile

Excellent restaurant, following social distancing measures. Outside eating available. We enjoyed mussels and frittes, grilled salad, steak, an exotic ramen dish with watermelon. The coconut cake for dessert was awesome. Great atmosphere, the renowned chef and owner was on the premises.

Date of visit: September 2020
Reviewed 6 August 2020 via mobile

This is a vintage beauty shop that was owned by Priscilla Presley in the 60s. The physical space is very cool if you like vintage (original chairs with overhead hair dryers, etc.). You would think the owners would stick to/go all in on the 60s/Elvis theme. They don’t. Instead, they went Bohemian/Hipster. The “brunch” menu was ridiculous. This place is trying way too hard to be cool/trendy. The food was meh. Good service but, a sad waste of a fantastic space.

Date of visit: July 2020
1  Thank Michael T
KarenCarrier, Owner at The Beauty Shop Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2021

Hello! Thank you for your feedback. Priscilla never actually owned the salon, just had her beehive done there, but still a fabulous piece of Memphis history nonetheless! As we've been open since 2002, I'm not sure if we'd be considered much of a trendy spot at this point, but I do wish your food had been a bit more spectacular when you visited! Would love to know more specifics on what you had so we can address any issues in the kitchen and keep other guests from having that experience as well!

Reviewed 19 March 2020

I thought the best part of The Beauty Shop was the atmosphere. It is set in a former beauty parlor and they have left the overhead hairdryers from the 1970's and the glass block and rinse sinks and incorporated all of this into the restaurant seating.
It is totally unique and fun in that way. The menu is very eclectic with lots of small plates that feature some unusual ingredients. I thought the food under-delivered on the promise of all the flavors that were part of the ingredient list. But in general, the food was good -- not great. Of the small plates we thought the Aleppo Shrimp (with pineapple puree, grilled avocado, corn fritter, cabbage, jicama, carrot mint slaw, yuzu aioli, lime and sesame guigillo dust) was very good. But you can see that it is one of those places that likes to parade every ingredient when you actually don't even taste or notice half of what's listed. The Hawaiian Agua Tuna was good as was the Japanese Eggplant (all of these are small plates). The Grilled Plums was a standout -- they were excellent. The Grilled Romaine Salad was disappointing -- not very grilled. Of the main courses the duck was a disappointment -- with a strange texture and not really delivering much with the "sugar spiced" coating. Others in our party like the scallops. Everyone agreed that the Red Velvet Cake dessert was amazing. The gelato was quite blah. In general mixed reviews on the food but a good time was had by everyone. The Beauty Shop is 15-20 minutes away by car from downtown Memphis and the neighborhood is supposed to be fun to walk around. We were there on a dark and very, very rainy night, so we didn't see too much. I would say come for the vibe, but expect the food to just be OK.

Date of visit: March 2020

Thank you for your feedback! I'm glad most of the food lived up to your expectations and we will definitely take your critiques under consideration going forward.