Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Tracy
York, Pennsylvania

We Got Lucky and We Love Chef Neal

3.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 17 Aug 2022via mobile
This hotel was booked for us and paid for so first off it was free for us. BUT- prior to traveling, we read the reviews and were ready to kick in Plan B- paying out of pocket for a different place which would have been quite the challenge during Elvis Week!
Positives:
Upon arrival and after leaving a SUPER nice hotel in downtown Memphis, we ended up getting a decent room (huge sigh of relief). Clean room (some crumbs under the bed), clean sheets, comfortable bed, clean bathroom, hot HOT water, shower pressure was amazing, working TV all pluses and put this hotel above the Travelodge in my book.
The best part was Chef Neal!!! He was AWESOME! He opened the bar for the band crew, was super friendly and funny and real. Our drinks were delicious and the conversation even better- he made the hotel better!
Front desk staff ladies were all sweet too. Breakfast was decent w eggs sausage bacon make your own waffle, fruit, mini muffins, juice, water, coffee, and tea.
Negatives:
Renovation under way meaning pool out of service (didn’t have time to swim anyway). Had a hard time getting new towels- had to find a maid to get them (she was also sweet) but had to re use towels for days.
The common area was super warm.
Some of our friends had to switch rooms due to mildewy smell. (We did not)
Water can be scalding so be careful!
I didn’t love it… but I definitely didn’t hate it!
Date of stay: August 2022
Trip type: Travelled on business
Responded 19 Aug 2022
Dear Valuable guest,
Please allow me this opportunity to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. The Hotel Management is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities. We sincerely regret we fell short of our goal in this instance. Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I trust the action taken on your behalf will bring a sense of resolution and satisfaction concerning this matter. You were willing to share your experience is genuinely appreciated. I hope you will allow us the opportunity to serve your future lodging needs, as we would like the opportunity to provide you the level the exceeds your expectations during the renovation process.

$291
No prepayment needed
  • Official Site
    $295
  • Hotels.com
9.7 km from Clarion Hotel & Suites Conference Center Memphis Airport 2240 Democrat Rd
$319
  • Canopy
  • Hotels.com
9.9 km from Clarion Hotel & Suites Conference Center Memphis Airport 2240 Democrat Rd
$206
  • Algotels
8.2 km from Clarion Hotel & Suites Conference Center Memphis Airport 2240 Democrat Rd
$286
  • Wyndham
    $286
9.6 km from Clarion Hotel & Suites Conference Center Memphis Airport 2240 Democrat Rd
$336
  • Hampton
  • Hotels.com
9.8 km from Clarion Hotel & Suites Conference Center Memphis Airport 2240 Democrat Rd
$203
  • Wyndham
    $203
15.6 km from Clarion Hotel & Suites Conference Center Memphis Airport 2240 Democrat Rd
$211
  • Priceline
24.2 km from Clarion Hotel & Suites Conference Center Memphis Airport 2240 Democrat Rd
$743
  • Priceline
11.1 km from Clarion Hotel & Suites Conference Center Memphis Airport 2240 Democrat Rd
  • ZenHotels.com
    $377
  • Algotels
3.9 km from Clarion Hotel & Suites Conference Center Memphis Airport 2240 Democrat Rd
The Peabody exterior
  • ZenHotels.com
    $423
  • travelup.com
10.0 km from Clarion Hotel & Suites Conference Center Memphis Airport 2240 Democrat Rd
View more hotels in Memphis
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 13 July 2022

My dad and I stayed in this Clarion hotel for 2 nights as we were completing a motorcycle roadtrip. The hotel is terrible, in bad shape, sort of like a Walking dead set, and as you can see in the pictures, not very guest friendly: huge empty spaces, pool is closed for renovation (good idea to do that in summer when you are in the tourism business?), sad breakfast, rotten fruits, mister cockroach on the floor for the entirety of our trip (3 days, 2 nights). Will never stay there again. However, the staff was helpful and nice, and the 2nd room was clean (1st one had no cold water).

Date of stay: July 2022
Holiday Inn Democrat, Owner at Clarion Hotel & Suites Conference Center Memphis Airport 2240 Democrat Rd, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2022

Dear Valuable Guest,
We thank you for taking time out to elaborate your experience. We take everything into consideration to improve guest issues and satisfaction. We would like to apologize for conditions, appearance of the building during our renovation. We are having discussion in reference to resolutions. We hope you return so we can provide a memorable stay.

Reviewed 7 June 2022

I just left there 5 June. When I arrived, at first glance, I was very disappointed with the fact that it's obvious that the building is OLD. Fortunately, they are undergoing some renovations. I wasn't in one of the rooms that had been renovated (LOL!!). The staff is outstanding!! Latonya, at the front desk is a very friendly young lady that was incredibly helpful and accommodating. She made sure that I was in a quiet part of the hotel, away from the entrance, where a lot of people in my group, liked to congregate. Every time I saw her, she always asked if there was anything I needed and made sure that I was happy with my room. Mr. Octavius -- a very polite and helpful young man. He was very engaging and friendly, even as he was just making sure that I had enough towels. Unfortunately, I didn't get the name of the gentleman that took care of the buffet but he was incredibly friendly and very helpful, making sure that everyone had what they wanted at the breakfast buffet. Altogether, the staff made this stay WAY more pleasant than I expected when I first pulled up. I would DEFINITELY stay here again. The ONLY reason I couldn't give it the whole 5 dots was because the hotel is old and shows a lot of signs of wear and tear. Everything from the carpet, to the lighting screams old, but well maintained. I'm just glad they have such a great staff to practically make you forget the age of the building. I can't wait to come back after the renovation.

The conference center is built like an indoor courtyard, so all the activity is center facing. If you want to have a function here, this would be a great venue, once everything is operational again. Right now, the pool and the bar are closed. I couldn't understand why the bar was closed. It looked fine to me (LOL!!).

Room tip: Courtyard facing rooms offer quick access to the courtyard and the breakfast buffet.
Date of stay: June 2022
Holiday Inn Democrat, Owner at Clarion Hotel & Suites Conference Center Memphis Airport 2240 Democrat Rd, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2022

We value our guest and take everything into consideration to provide the guest with excellent services and a comfortable environment. We thank you for taking time out to convey your experience. We are currently under renovation but we must maintain a easy process and comfortable. I would like to apologize for this inconvenience and this matter will be discuss with management and staff. I gad to know staff provide great hospitality and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 26 April 2022

The hotel is the land of the walking dead. Horrendous lighting, eerily empty, frighteningly horrendous. No food, no drink, no sign of standard hotel life. The neighborhood is so dangerous that the desk clerk warned me not to leave to get food. She said only let the shuttle driver take you to a restaurant, run in for takeout, and get back in the van. They say the hotel is being renovated. I have a suggestion for improvement. Tear it down and build a cemetery.

Date of stay: April 2022
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Iknowhotels12345
Holiday Inn Democrat, Owner at Clarion Hotel & Suites Conference Center Memphis Airport 2240 Democrat Rd, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2022

Dear Valuable Guest,
I would like to thank you for taking out time to elaborate your experience during your stay. We would like to apologize for the inconvenience, conditions and limited amenities during our renovation. The property is 45 years old, but we are working extensively to resolve and upgrade the property. We will have hot Breakfast served soon May 20, 2022. We do offer some amenities in our Sundry located at the desk. This gives us the opportunity to provide training and discuss resolutions to Guest. We hope you give us another opportunity to provide you with exceptional services.

Reviewed 26 October 2021 via mobile

Bed was comfortable, room was good had a refrigerator but, not a safe area. Man yelling at people in the parking lot. Was scared to leave the hotel. The night staff that checked us in was very nice and the breakfast ladies were great. The juice and biscuit was nice at breakfast

Date of stay: October 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank melissawI4446ZB

We thank you for submitting your review and the staff were elated about your survey. We notice you had some negative impact during your stay. We would like to apologize for the inconvenience and will discuss this matter with management and security. We hope you return so we could provide you with safe environment and comfortable surroundings.

Reviewed 10 September 2021

Let me say that we have stayed here 4 or 5 times and by far this was the WORST experience wen have ever had in a hotel, period. First of all it was ELVIS week in MEMPHIS and this is like a national holiday to this city. We called ahead for early check in, we were told 1:30 pm. We arrived at 2 pm and told no rooms were ready and there were at least 3 parties ahead of us. The hotel was HOT and had NO AC in the common areas. After one hour we gave up our request for a handicapped room to a gentleman ahead of us who was an amputee. We were placed in a room on the 4th floor far away from the elevators. We had to RUN to our room to get to our first even at 4 pm. In our room there was no fridge and no microwave. I had made it clear that I needed BOTH as we both are on INSULIN and had brought 2 coolers full of meds and food, only to have no fridge. The front desk WOULD NOT answer a phone call from within the room, you had to use your cell phone and pretend to call from outside the hotel. The manager assured us we would be brought a fridge and microwave immediately so we left for our event at 4 pm. When we returned to our room after 11 pm, we had no fridge and the ice make CLEAR on the other side of the hotel and barely working could not give us enough ice to sustain our coolers. Mr. Tommy, a staff member for over 24 years there, brought a fridge and microwave. We plugged it in and went and got ice outside the hotel. The fridge was a little cooler when we returned so we place a few things in it. By morning the fridge had stopped working and the food and things we placed in were ruined. Again with the phones, no one will pick up. We report this again from our cell to a manager. We are assured we will get a working fridge. We leave and return at almost 5 pm to NO FRIDGE. Finally we catch a manager in the hall who finally brings us a working fridge. The microwave never worked and we gave up.
Thru the entire stay there is no maid service they dont take your trash or give new towels and washcloths. We started with ONE washcloth. Each day I set out our trash and dirty linens on the floor and took what I needed from any maid cart I could find. The heat in the hotel common areas and ballroom was unbearable. The musical performers got sick, there was not even FANS. The little makeshift cafe RAN out of coke and water but had plenty of booze. Our sink stopped up and barely drained every day. Then on the 4th night, we came back to our room where we found the toilet leaking all over the floor from the tank. Again,,,,, no desk phone answered, we called in from cell,,,911,,, leaking bad here!!!
My husband turns off the water in the back. FIANLLY a manager comes to our room, tells us there is NO MAINTAINENCE person until 8 am. Offer us to move rooms, we decline. We say we will just turn the water on to use the commode. When we do,,,,, the toilet stops up!!! Black nasty water also backs up in the tub!!!! SO we cannot take a shower either. He ASSURES us someone will come at 8 am. Guess what? We use the bathroom downstairs in the lobby and go to our even at 10 am on Sunday and at 1230 pm NO ONE had been up to our room. We packed up and I went down and spoke to Brandon who was nice but blamed it all on no employees and no help. He did refund 50% of our balance paid to STAYFORLONG the company we booked thru, as of today 9/9/21 we get NOTHING but generic emails back from Stayforlong and NO REFUND. Did I mention the bugs and crickets on the rooms? We lost food, insulin and had a HORRIFIC stay. We will never stay here again, even IF the event we are attending is here. This place is PATHETIC no security.... filthy. I know they are not following COVID protocol. Please just lock the doors!!!

Date of stay: August 2021