The Hive Soft Play and Party Center
Nice little hidden gem

Reviewed 2 January 2020
critictravels
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Best soundtrack in a softplay ever

Reviewed 25 December 2019
lacd
Edinburgh

See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 January 2020

Nice soft play, plenty of parking and reasonably priced. Hidden away on the outskirts of Bathgate with friendly staff is always a bonus. Toilets are very clean and food reasonable. The menu could be more varied and catering for vegans would make it more ideal for menu choices.

Date of experience: December 2019
3  Thank critictravels
Reviewed 25 December 2019

Visited on Christmas Eve with two 5yo boys and a 2yo girl. It wasn't too busy (found a table although there weren't many spare) - seemed to be a good balance of spaces for <2s, <4s and 5+. The two older kids ran around like mad things ("best slide ever!") and the little girl had lots of fun too. We had a sharing platter for the kids which was just right for 3 and really good value. Mums had soup/toasties (unfortunately no baked potatoes but they were about to be closed for Xmas so stocks were low).

Overall I thought it was good value and a nice atmosphere. Unlike the majority of Edinburgh soft plays you had a decent time to play for your money (2h for £5.25 I think) and we weren't hurried out at the end. I've paid about the same for 50 mins in Ocean Terminal.

But the best bit was the soundtrack. Not a Christmas tune was played. Instead we had Bowie, Bryan Adams, Bonnie Tyler and more. Rock on!

Date of experience: December 2019
Reviewed 4 September 2019

This was our first visit to the Hive, we had it quiet at this time but it gets very busy on the weekend. There is adequate floor space for the under 4-year-olds but restricted for the older kids.

Date of experience: August 2019
Reviewed 25 August 2019 via mobile

Ok, clean and staff ok but too out the way and i couldnt get a coffee as they stick by this cards only have to take a tab and spend a fiver, crazy, its 2019, you catch up not a paying customer, i wouldnt go back for this reason alone, i only wanted a coffee but because like most i dont carry cash they make you pay more. Not for me.

Date of experience: July 2019
4  Thank Andy R
Inga M, Owner at The Hive Soft Play and Party Center, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2019

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your feedback. We have stopped the minimum card payment amount. We agree, this was a silly policy which was implemented years ago by the previous owner and was overlooked by ourselves.

We hope to see you again.

Steve

Reviewed 17 August 2019 via mobile

I have just not long left the hive soft play and can truly say I wont be returning to this soft again as I found expensive compared to other soft plays I have took my son too.the food we got was ok but i felt really sorry for the staff as they were running around mad trying to serve in all the different areas too.i felt my experience today at the hive wasnt good as it was really busy kids running every where and parents not always watching what's going on I seen I few older children running around hitting and pushing the younger children I even seen a older child pulling a 3 year old by there feet and they didn't look like they knew each other.my son really loves soft play but after 30 mins he got upset as he got pushed over by a older child and it put him off going back in to play I know kids can be kids but I have never seen a soft play like this.it was just really busy and kids running everywhere the did put out announcement to remind people it only 2 hours to stay and play but nobody really listened to the staff either.i think just as a idear if you it might a good idear to have someone supervise the play areas as we had a younger child that couldnt even play in the baby bit due to older child running mad and one child was even throwing plastic balls at the young child I can honestly say I wont be returning back to the hive due to the above reason

Date of experience: August 2019