All reviewswild campingsand dunesstunning locationwashing facilitieshot watergreat campingport morport charlotteworking farmwell equipped kitchenper nightcampsiterulestentmidgescottagekettle
Reviewed 5 August 2018

This is simply the loveliest location to camp - right beside a massive beautiful beach.

We stayed here for a week with our two young children and had a fabulous time.

The information is a bit confusing. Just don’t camp in the overgrown bit (read the map in registration)! As far as facilities there are clean toilets and showers, hot water and fridges.

And the owners were lovely with our rumbunctious kids so could not complain at all. If you want fancy facilities go and stay at Port Charlotte. For quiet beauty stick with Kintra.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2018 via mobile

I’m a bit of a stranger to trip advisor but this was our 6th year camping and I was taken aback at how quiet the campsite was this year compared to previous years so I decided to check this site and see if there is a reason why. I am really surprised at the comments of abrupt and rude owners as in the years we have been camping at kintra I have never encountered this, the owners and their staff have only ever been polite and helpful. There are a lot of rules at the campsite but I think there do need to be clear boundaries to make sure that the site and facilities are fair for all. The charge for hand washing isn’t to make more money it’s to deter people from doing this in one of only 2 sinks which are primarily for washing dishes, while not banning it completely - obviously people in the past have totally taken advantage for this rule to have been put in place. There would be nothing stopping you boiling up some water at your tent and doing your hand washing there or paying for a machine wash there or at the mactaggart leisure centre - both of which are fair prices. The no camping down the left track is important to maintain a neighbourly relationship with the people who live in the private house down that track. The strand is a popular place for surfing/swimming with the general public so why not offer use of the toilet for a donation to Macmillan Nurses - what an amazing cause for the owners to support. There are instructions to check yourself in if you arrive out with the usual hours, we arrived at 2030 at night and this was no problem and we sorted out payment the next morning (however I would say it’s good to guesstimate and bring cash on arrival as I once paid by cheque and it didn’t get cashed for a while). I think that there is enough information available that you can pretty much see to yourselves when on site. When you hire a self catering house at £1000+ At peak times in Islay the owner is not at your beck and call so why should this couple who already work hard enough manning a working farm, self catering cottages and a camp site be at your beck and call for the small price paid in comparison so I think the allocated times to check in and ask questions is also fair, they are not being rude they are ensuring everyone’s safety and fairness to all. We camp at many sites across Scotland and I would not say that kintra is expensive in comparison either - and Islay is expensive in comparison to many places!!

Despite being a bit dated I would say the facilities are very clean. I also think it’s fair to ask to remove sand before going in the shower as sand can really clog the pipes when it builds up - and with there being limited showers the last thing the owners will want is a clogged up shower. On one occasion when the campsite was stowed out with folk the owners were kind enough to let campers use a shower in their own house - and this was a sign open to all not just a select few. It would be fab for the facilities to be updated, and perhaps a cold shower to rinse off sand and toilet block situated somewhere in the dunes as it is a wee walk to the facilities - but we have got used to this and have managed the last 6 years with young kids (who now love being old enough to nip to the toilet themselves).

I would highly recommend this campsite, in all the years we have camped here we have always found a private spot and made it our home. The sand dunes and beach are stunning and my 7 & 9 year olds enjoy swimming and boogie boarding, running the dunes while my 21 month old enjoys building sand castles and throwing sticks for the dog. You are camping on an amazing 5 mile long beach and there are beautiful walks on your doorstep over the hill to soldiers rock. We love a campfire on the beach and listening to the thrashing waves on drifting off to sleep. We just love coming here to relax, so no complaints from thisfamily. Despite the facilities I’m still rating as excellent as we have camped all across Scotland and nothing makes us happier than being st Kintra.

This review is entirely my own interpretation of the last 6 years camping at Kintra. Thank you

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2018 via mobile

We absolutely loved this site. Nestled in the sand dunes, listening to the waves crashing on the gorgeous beach from our tent was an amazing experience.. Vleannand perfectly adequate wash facilities. The staff we met were pleasant and helpful. Would definitely stay again.
We did look at the Port Mor site which would be great for families but we much preferred this site which felt almost like wild camping with a view to die for.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KardrewKardrew
Reviewed 12 July 2018 via mobile

The woman that runs this place is totally rude and obnoxious and should not be in the hospitality trade. Camp further down the beach away from this women's place, if you want wild camping or go to Port Mor campsite which is lovely with excellent facilities and friendly. This women hates campers. In all the years that me and my partner have camped I have never met an owner that was so downright rude.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tracyhopkins204
Reviewed 9 July 2018

The title basically says it all. The location is absolutely stunning, I suspect the owner knows this and that's why she believes she has the right to speak to people the way she does and charge over the odds for what can only be described as basic facilities. I've seen better in a Bothy!!.

Its totally unacceptable behaviour. I honestly don't care what experience she may have had with other people before. It does not give her the right to behave the way she does towards paying customers...

My wife was basically verbally abused whilst getting out of the shower in front of my two children, who were very upset and I spent most of the day trying to reassure them that people on the island are not all like the owner. My wife was really upset !!

Someone from the local council or visit Scotland should explain how the tourism and hospitality industry works. The key is in the name "HOSPITALITY"

The facilities are very outdated and are just not acceptable for the price we
had to pay.

In summing up:

1. Perfect location if you don't ruffing it a bit...
2. Pay the owner up front and don't take any of her verbal abuse.
3. I'm sad to say we wont be back as we prefer to deal with hospitable people who welcome customers and do what they can to help.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family