All reviews wild camping sand dunes stunning location washing facilities hot water great camping port mor port charlotte working farm well equipped kitchen the cottages per night campsite rules tent midges kettle
Reviewed 20 July 2018 via mobile

We absolutely loved this site. Nestled in the sand dunes, listening to the waves crashing on the gorgeous beach from our tent was an amazing experience.. Vleannand perfectly adequate wash facilities. The staff we met were pleasant and helpful. Would definitely stay again.
We did look at the Port Mor site which would be great for families but we much preferred this site which felt almost like wild camping with a view to die for.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KardrewKardrew
Reviewed 12 July 2018 via mobile

The woman that runs this place is totally rude and obnoxious and should not be in the hospitality trade. Camp further down the beach away from this women's place, if you want wild camping or go to Port Mor campsite which is lovely with excellent facilities and friendly. This women hates campers. In all the years that me and my partner have camped I have never met an owner that was so downright rude.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tracyhopkins204
Reviewed 9 July 2018

The title basically says it all. The location is absolutely stunning, I suspect the owner knows this and that's why she believes she has the right to speak to people the way she does and charge over the odds for what can only be described as basic facilities. I've seen better in a Bothy!!.

Its totally unacceptable behaviour. I honestly don't care what experience she may have had with other people before. It does not give her the right to behave the way she does towards paying customers...

My wife was basically verbally abused whilst getting out of the shower in front of my two children, who were very upset and I spent most of the day trying to reassure them that people on the island are not all like the owner. My wife was really upset !!

Someone from the local council or visit Scotland should explain how the tourism and hospitality industry works. The key is in the name "HOSPITALITY"

The facilities are very outdated and are just not acceptable for the price we
had to pay.

In summing up:

1. Perfect location if you don't ruffing it a bit...
2. Pay the owner up front and don't take any of her verbal abuse.
3. I'm sad to say we wont be back as we prefer to deal with hospitable people who welcome customers and do what they can to help.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 June 2018 via mobile

After reading the other reviews of Kintra, especially around the owner I have to say I was a little reluctant to stay.
However my partner convinced me that a 10-15min conversation with her would be worth it for the views we’d be rewarded with.

We knew we’d be arriving outside of the 4-6pm check in slot; around 6.30ish and so called ahead to ensure this would be ok.
We were told that was fine and just to self register in the campers reception.

When we got there we read through the “rules of the site” which to be honest weren’t as bad as others had made out and I could understand why the no camping on the left rule exists; it’s a road to a private house.
I therefore can see why it has be reiterated numerous times to previous visitors.

We chose a spot, set up camp for the night and sat back to enjoy the view.
After dinner we went over to wash the dishes , the wash area was fine and has everything you need.
Then shower time. The shower area is a little dated perhaps, but if you’re after a hot shower to clean up after a day exploring Islay then that’s exactly what you’ll get.
There’s a shower in each of the male and female WCs, as well as individual accessible WC and separate Shower.

When I was exiting the shower block an elder lady was just coming in, said hello and asked how I was?
I exchanged the same back and we had a brief conversation about the weather she then asked if I’d found everything I needed?
It then dawned on me that she was the owner....
I was confused as this was not the “dragon or battle axe” other reviewers had described...
I asked her who she was and she introduced herself as indeed the owner, I introduced myself back and our very pleasant conversation continued.

I asked if she wanted us to pay now as we’d missed the normal check in times and she said the morning 9-11 slot would be fine.
Sure enough the next morning my partner and I went and paid for the nights stay before heading off to see Islay for the day.
Again the same lady greeted us and we stood and exchanged and equally pleasant conversation as the previous evening. With advice and recommendations of places to visit given to us.

I can’t comment on other people’s experiences, all I can say is what my partner and I found was poles apart from what has been previously written about the owner.

The toilet block I can see what some other reviewers mean but then it’s camping, not the Ritz!

Stunning views on a private and secluded beach with wonderful hospitality.
We will definitely be back, and I hope others are not put off by some of the reviews on here.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Naomirbp
Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

Are you a glutton for punishment? Do you feel the need for self flagellation? Well you’ve come to the right place!

Stick with me here...Beautiful location on the beach, sea breeze keeps the midges away and you can pitch up literally on the dunes. Very average facilities - a wash area, a couple of showers and some taps. Basic camping all round.

The location is what attracts us all (and the fact that Islay only has two campsites) but this is not an excuse for its owner speaking to guests like muck on the bottom of her shoe.

In summary -

Arrival - Warned by other camper not to take the owners/dragon/antichrist’s manner personally, she’s like that to everyone.

Meet the owner, appears to be a pleasant elderly lady (from a distance).....find out the owner has no common courtesy, no greeting, just orders barked at you. All she needed was a wooden cane to beat you with!

Owner proceeds to bombard you with rules, no camping on the left, no camping on the left, (did I mention no camping on the left?). Owner then directs you to a room adjacent to her home for ‘registration’ and upon meeting you berates you further and points to where you can’t camp.

The costs are estimated and then your hard earned cash is demanded from your quivering hands. Don’t even think about asking to look at the facilities first as you will be told ‘No, you will not. Are you staying or going?’.

Oh; and don’t ask for the date either as this also appeared to anger the fire breather.

4/5 of us wanted to leave at that moment but the need for a shower was overwhelming and we paid up.

PROS.

The owner doesn’t bother you as she clearly doesn’t want to walk into the camp site, thankfully! The camping spots are great, sea views but slightly wild at its best, fires on the beach into the dark, recycling available.

If you visit this site, I’m sure that after reading this review you’ll find the whole thing hilarious. It’s almost like paying to visit an island retreat for punishment. If you’re easily offended, avoid. Will we be back? No chance.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends