“Whiplash. A trip to M&D's results in a visit to A&E.”

M & D's Scotlands Theme Park
Reviewed 13 October 2018 via mobile

Arrived for what I wanted to be a great day out. Immediately let down by the state of the site, crumbling building works and temporary rides and rollercoasters, designed for travelling fun fairs - made permanent and obviously shifted around alot and not cared for too much either.

Staff were not in any sort of uniform, just tracksuits and jeans and some even smelt strongly of marijuana. No interaction given with the public, not even a smile.

Their one 'big' rollercoaster, I was actually excited to go on as it's the world's last Pinfari RC70 Looping coaster. In the last few years however it had it's corkscrew element removed and this is where my one star review truly starts. My god that replacement track was rough, I've been on some rough coasters around the UK before but never ever have I felt such force that I felt the need to complain after. As we went into the replacement track (now an overbanked curve) the train jolted violently up and down and then as we entered the curve my neck snapped sharply right to left hitting the low and hard restraints on either side, my girlfriend being a little shorter than me, hit her head extremelly hard.

Me and my girlfriend went to the reception desk after just so I could report the rough ride and ask for a little bit of first aid, just to get checked over - anyway along comes the most depressed sarcastic 'operations manager' in Britain. I asked him if he had rode it himself to which he replied in an aggressive manor "now why the hell would I ride something like that, you've got to be joking" I questioned this and he replied " oh no I hate rollercoasters, in fact I hate going on all rides in general" now bearing in mind M&D's have just come out of an extremely serious coaster incident (worse than the smiler by the way) you'd think they would hire someone who was passionate and loved their work and Wanted to improve the park to become a symbol of Scotland, but no. They gave the job to this guy, and the park's condition obviously reflects his attitude and lack of morale. To the rough track report he replied a ride inspection would have to be carried out with the manufacturer - I then pointed out that pinfari stopped operating over 10 years ago so that wasn't possible, he replied exactly so I mentioned the fact that how was a track replacement possible, in his methods using official parts that don't really exist anymore. No answer. I then asked why not retrack the corner with another manufacturer. " And that would cost how much?!" He laughed. Ok, so now we know that M&D's take money more seriously than visitors safety, and judging by the amount of pages taken out of the accident book when we were finally frog marched there into the first aid porta cabin (which was rotting and staffed by two teenagers who didn't know the first thing of what they were looking for but mentioned they too would never ride that coaster again and to visit A&E ASAP before giving us a cheap and half melted ice pack - credit to them though, at least you could see they were trying as they were the only normal staff who actually talked to us like humans and were the only ones seemingly wearing some sort of staff uniform. To summarise,the operations manager is a disgrace to himself and the park he so called operates so much to the fact that the now dismantled 'Tsunami' coaster is still sitting in Bits on the back of a flatbed in the carpark and all rides, regardless of what they are are temporary and poorly maintained. Both of the other two main rides (those giant gondolas and the pirate ship) were closed and looks like they had been that way for along time (SBNO?) This is an extremely run down park and doesn't deserve its title . It's more like Scotland's embarrassment. This place either needs a major takeover and complete overhaul or it just needs to die.

They obviously haven't learned from the coaster derailment and crash in 2016 besides numerous incidents and it looks as though we are now just numbers on a record of ever growing injuries.

Oh and by the way I did visit A&E ASAP and yes I do have whiplash and yes it still is painful now as I type this. (I visited over a week ago from the date this was posted)

Date of experience: October 2018
"grandkids"
"wee"
in 25 reviews

Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

Took our 2 young kids who had a ball at the shows. They loved all the rides and the amazon centre aswell, food is what you expect it to be. Below average. Which I don't mind as here for the shows.

Date of experience: August 2018
1  Thank John B
Reviewed 3 October 2018

I visited here last week, for 2 adults and a child, it cost £60. Not worth the money. We arrived in the park and it felt a bit disjointed, there were no signs to say what was where. Anyway the wee boy went on a couple of rides. He then wanted to 'hook a duck', this cost £3 for ducks that didn't move and were very easy to hook. The choice of 'prizes' were a disgrace. We then moved on to the crazy golf. This was an absolute disgrace, it was filthy, parts were broken and there was no felt on some of the holes. Amazonia was very small, but ok. M&Ds is a rip off

Date of experience: September 2018
2  Thank LesleyC1231
Reviewed 3 October 2018 via mobile

I am so embarrassed of this place it's a joke rides are old and out of date Scotland's theme park my beep beep please close it down

Date of experience: May 2018