“Utterly unique and wonderful”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Dittisham Quay
Terrace at dusk
Dittisham
View from the terrace
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Objective...
London
“Utterly unique and wonderful”
Reviewed 3 January 2018 for a stay in December 2017
person found this review helpful

It is hard to imagine a more magical hideaway anywhere in England. Our family and young grandchildren spent a memorable Christmas at this large and enchanting cottage on the very edge of the tranquil River Dart. There is the timing of the tides to be borne in mind and the natural idiosyncrasies of a 600 year old house that has clearly been much loved. With wildlife all around and such charm & seclusion, we felt it a privilege to have had the opportunity of staying there.

Traveler7...
“Idyllic!”
Reviewed 17 December 2017 for a stay in November 2017

We originally booked this cottage as part of a birthday celebration for my mum who was 90. I had the tides planned but hadn't realized that there are steps up and down to the door even when the tide is out. The rest of the family still wanted to stay so we booked a subsequent cottage more suited to her. When the time came, my mum, who is not your usual 90 year old, decided that she would also come to this cottage. With a hand up and down the steps she was safely in. I don't understand the poor review regarding dim lighting etc. My mums eyesight isn't the best, but she managed fine. This is a cottage that is hundreds of years old after all and retains so much of it's original character. The stairs weren't ideal for her, but again she did fine.
The two bathrooms are bright and modern. We had plenty of hot water. You just need to follow the instructions. We were there on two of the coldest nights of the year and we were very warm and cosy inside.Outside was a magical, clear, starlit sky, owls hooting, swans gliding like pearls on a black mirrored surface.
Daytime, myself, son and granddaughter did some 'crabbing' over the wall. All safely returned home. We had a squatter in the form of the local robin, who decided to hop inside and about the house quite unperplexed while we attempted to usher it out.
To sum up, this really is a fantastic place. You may not be so comfortable if very tall due to low beams. Also if you have a feather allergy, as my son, you may want to take your own duvet. But even then, there was lots of spare bedding in the cottage.
For me, it was the perfect holiday home at any time of year. I still miss being there!

Nigel O
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Family activity holiday”
Reviewed 29 October 2017 for a stay in October 2017

We have just returned from a weeks holiday in this cottage and the place is amazing. I have never stayed anywhere quite like it and I absolutely had the time of my life. The sea / river Dart is just outside the front door, there is no traffic noise (although the seals woke us up once or twice), the view from the front windows is incredible and the wildlife is all around. The house is well equiped for a group of 8 and very cosy. I would love to return.

Julie M
London, United Kingdom
“For the LOVE of SMUGGLERS”
Reviewed 10 September 2017 for a stay in September 2017

We started booking Smugglers about twelve years ago. We had been using another cottage in the village of Dittisham and found the rental people quite unkind so moved to Smugglers. The setting is truly magnificent and you really could not ask for more beauty, spirit, sense of calm and yet mixed with a the truest mix of jovial jaunty sea dwellers. From the vantage point of this cottage you can observe the comings and goings to GREENWAY and you get a sense that AGATHA CHRISTIE herself would have approved of your country cottage choice. The family who own this cottage are really lovely. Friendly, kind and above all, they really want you to have a marvellous time. They have updated the bathrooms and other things over the years and I think it really is a FIRM FAVOURITE with my sisters and their partners. So enchanted with Smugglers and Dittisham we moved to Devon.... This cottage is pet friendly, is just simply a place to relax, to melt all the stresses away. Located right next to The Anchorstone Café (fab) and The Ferry Boat Inn pub (so much fun). We've had so many laughs, so many family reunions here. It's an authentic country cottage that is just basically spectacular. To be honest, just looking out from the sitting room window, the piano room window, the dining room window will rejuvenate your spirit. A view of The River Dart.....

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2017 for a stay in March 2017

Your age range 25-34
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing