“Lovely lunch”

Price range: US$8 - US$20
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Highwayman's Haunt is a traditional country inn with its origins dating back to the 13th Century. Nestled in 4 acres of garden and paddocks, just on the outskirts of the town of Chudleigh, the Inn has beautiful views looking out over the Devon hills. Sit back and enjoy your drink, and a meal maybe, whilst the children can play on our purpose built play tower situated on the lawns. With a warm welcome for all - including your dogs, even your horse!Families and 'mucky boot' friendly...we look forward to welcoming you soon.
Reviewed 3 May 2018 via mobile

Had passed the highway mans haunt signs for years and never stopped, had meeting nearby so stopped off, arrived before 12 but doors were locked. Ordered our meals and they were delivered in 15 minutes piping hot, very tasty and plenty full.
Will be visiting with my wife soon.

The Highwaymans H, General Manager at Highwaymans Haunt, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a lovely review. We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed your meal with us and we look forward to seeing you and your wife soon! Kind regards, Thomas and Olivia, General Management

Reviewed 30 April 2018

Beautifully sited on the outskirts of Chudleigh, a very impressive friendly popular restaurant/pub.

Our group visited for Sunday lunch arriving at 11.45 a.m. but found it still closed, yet according to Trip Advisor should be open from 11.00 a.m. As it was a c...c ..c ..cold windy day and we were unable to rouse anybody, decided to get back into the coach and go on to another known restaurant in Ashburton instead… fortunately I phoned the Highwayman’s number and was just about to give up when it was answered. I explained that there was a party of 17 pre-booked Senior citizens shivering outside and was told that they didn’t open until midday but would open within the minute, which they did thankfully.

Very friendly and obliging young lady opened the door and showed us to our table, all neatly laid out ready, in a warm rear restaurant area. After getting settled, our drink and food orders were taken and soon appeared, pre-plated (hardly warmed plates) with side dishes of vegetables following, (again not very warm) shortly after. Mix up occurred when serving in that the one pork was mistakenly given as a turkey plated roast (easily done with loin of pork perhaps), however that left one of our party to wait a further few minutes for mistake to be rectified and another pork loin roast to be produced.

One meal, a vegetable curry had to be returned as it was cold !

To be fair we did find out later that they were breaking in new staff and a sudden influx of 17 people, must have been a good initiation test !

Pro’s …very friendly and helpful attentive staff, who tried to remedy their shortfalls. The meals themselves were of a generous proportion and flavoursome. Pleasant ambient atmosphere.

Con’s… cold plates and vegetables spoiled what could have been an excellent meal.

Some “tweaking” here and there, could be an even better experience. ( Correct both Trip Advisor and/or other internet entries, to display correct business hours).

1  Thank Tuff2pls

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such an honest review. The pub has only recently been taken over by new management and we have only just re-gained access to our TripAdvisor page, hence why the times were incorrect. I do appreciate you pointing out the incorrect opening times though, which was a mistake that was missed when we took over the page. I have now amended these to show the correct opening time of 12 o’clock. I did let you in as soon as I was aware of you waiting outside however, but I do apologise for this mix up.
We are extremely sorry to hear that your meals weren’t hot enough too - I did make an effort to check that you were all happy shortly after you began eating, but only two members of your party made me aware that their food was cold. In future, please bear in mind that we do appreciate being told as soon as possible about any issues with our meals so we can rectify our mistakes quickly and ensure that everyone has a plate of food they are happy with.
However, I have made the kitchen aware of your feedback and we will definitely take this on board during forthcoming busy Sunday lunch services. Once again, I do apologise for the inconveniences caused but do hope you will return to us in the future as our standard of food and service is usually much higher than this. It was lovely to meet and serve your party and we are extremely disappointed to hear negative feedback from you. I hope that you deem this as a reasonable response and ask that you get in touch with us directly if you have any further feedback. We hope to see you again. Kind regards, Olivia and Thomas, General Management

Reviewed 8 April 2018

Visited with a group of friends on Saturday evening. First time I had been there for many years. A really lovely place with a great atmosphere. The food was very good indeed although I did feel that, despite it being a Saturday evening, the wait between courses was a little too much. The young lady who greeted us when we arrived and showed us to our table was wonderful but a couple of the other waitresses seemed a little out of their depth! All in all however, good value for money, a lovely restaurant and certainly somewhere we will return to.

Thank you for leaving us such a positive review! It’s always nice for us to hear what we’re doing well at - but equally, thank you for your honest feedback on the wait between courses. We will definitely bear that in mind. We’re glad to hear that you’ll be back and we very much look forward to it. Kind regards, Olivia and Thomas, General Management

Reviewed 6 April 2018

We were staying at Finlake and my husband spotted this place on the way there. After an unexpected trip to A and E with our four year old, we called in for a bite to eat (we hadn’t even checked in!). We had only just had our food put in front of us before my six year old declared she felt ill and projectile vomited on her way to the ladies. The staff were absolutely amazing, very understanding and kind about the whole thing.

Our visit on our last night, thankfully, wasn’t tainted with injury or illness and tonight we had the most lovely of evenings. The food was fabulous pub grub and huge portions. The staff were lovely and a warm, cosy atmosphere.

We will be back!

Reviewed 3 April 2018

This place is a real gem , the owners and staff make you feel so welcome. We have passed this place a few times when we've stayed at Finlake and always kept saying we'll pop in there next time. Well I am so glad that we did, we stayed for lunch and had the best lazy afternoon possible. Fabulous food and great wine. I had the mussels and my partner had the burger. What we also loved about this place is that they made our dog extremely welcome. Thanks again for a lovely end to our little mini break away. We will defiantly be back.