All reviews separate building reception building the breakfast area hi express coligny beach breakfast is served easy walk to beach within walking distance main building free shuttle minute walk refrigerator and microwave bathroom sink check in was easy nice pool grocery store covered parking
Reviewed 17 July 2018 via mobile

My new husband and I are on our honeymoon. I booked this hotel months ago for our honeymoon week. I am an IHG rewards club member. Online I have a few preferences linked with my account. One was to have a high floor. There are 5 floors and a ground level. The staff here gave us a room on the first floor, not even close to the highest floor. Again, I booked this room months ago.

Normally, I am so happy with Holiday Inn Expresses. I travel a lot with my family and tend to stay at them but this one has not been my favorite. Normally, they at least give us our preferences or ask if we want a free room upgrade but this hotel did not. The lady at the desk yesterday said they didn't have any available but when I went in again today, I saw another costumer get a room on the 5th floor today.

We have two queen beds in a standard room. The room itself is fine, except that my husband found two caterpillars in our room thus far. You also can definitely hear the people above you pretty loudly. I also have to agree with another reviewer that it really does almost sound like a train passing by anytime the people above open the door to the balcony.

I wouldn't recommend this place for your honeymoon but it is a close walk to the beach and food.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Anita P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hilton Head Island, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2018

Dear Emily M,

Thank you for your review and congratulations on your marriage!

We are so sorry that we were unable to fulfill your room requests for your honeymoon. Please know that we take requests very seriously and always try our best to fulfill them.

We are happy to hear that you did enjoy the location of the hotel.

Reviewed 16 July 2018 via mobile

Noisy air con system meant we got no sleep at all. Every time the people upstairs opened their balcony door it sounded like a train was passing. And again woke us up at 6am. The ceiling was Moldy and the room was rough. We checked out a day early and went elsewhere.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mrsjones1111

Dear Mrsjones1111,

We are so sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your stay!

Our team always strives to ensure our guests are well taken care of during their stay and we are all sorry to hear your didn’t enjoy your visit.

Please know that if you’d advised us of these issues during your stay we would have been happy to fix it immediately.

We do hope you’ll give us a second chance.

Reviewed 15 July 2018 via mobile

We were in town for a wedding and I decided to us my IHG rewards club free night. I know that this chain isn’t luxurious, so I wasn’t expecting too much and that’s what I got. Our room was clean and the bathroom and beds were fine. Unfortunately the air conditioner seemed to have only 2 settings: warm and muggy or cold and clammy. We also had a room by the elevator and near a room with two barking dogs. So it was pretty noisy. On the plus side , the pool was very nice and the grounds are beautifully landscaped. If you’re visiting Hilton Head and you’re just looking for a clean place to sleep and shower, this is a good choice, but if you want a resort experience-maybe not.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank Laura L

Dear DPHockeyMom,

Thank you very much for your review.
Glad to hear that you enjoyed the cleanliness of our location and the landscaping.
Sorry to hear that you were disturbed by noise during your stay. Please know that you are always welcome to call the front desk and report noise and it will be dealt with immediately, we want all of our guests to have a restful and relaxing stay.
We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 11 July 2018 via mobile

Small room. Nice pool but limited supply of small, scratchy towels. Bathroom was small with light switch oddly located outside the bathroom. No powered vent fan. Very small, modern sink outside the bathroom. Very nice lighted vanity mirror. The wifi Internet seldom worked. Free breakfast was standard IHG, but some days there was no gravy put out. Breakfast area had dated furniture and required that you take a shuttle to get to breakfast building. Room balconies, but no chairs and our balcony was unusable from AC units in above rooms dripping water. Beds were comfortable. Low water pressure in shower. Older refrigerator and microwave. Very nice large modern btv in room.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Tim A

Dear Tim A,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your visit.
We are happy to hear that you found the beds comfortable and that you liked the pool and modern tv.
Sorry to hear that you weren’t happy with the balcony, low water pressure and WiFi.
We hope you’ll give us another chance to WOW you in the future.

Reviewed 10 July 2018 via mobile

We stayed for a week over the July 4th week. The hotel room was ok. It was clean. The beds were comfortable, and the air conditioning was cold at times. The bathroom had a tub and toilet, and the sink was outside the bathroom. This was convenient for four of us to get ready. However, the space around the sink was a bit cramp and hard to move around when someone is using it.
There was a mini fridge, microwave and coffee maker. There was a small closet and a few dresser drawers. One thing it didn’t have was a hair dryer. It’s a first for me to be at a hotel that didn’t have one. I would’ve called the front desk but decided to just let my hair air dry.

The bathroom looked like it was updated. The tub tiles and floor tiles looked new. But the walls of the bathroom looked dirty and could use a fresh coat of paint. The toilet handle had to be jiggled or else the water would keep running.

The pool was very popular. Lots of people hung out there. They do supply towels but not enough. Whenever we go there are no towels so we bring out beach towels.

The breakfast was served between 7am and 10am. Most people crowd in around 9am. The dining area is very small and not very efficiently arranged. Everyone had to line up in one line to get to either the hot food, or drinks, or the bread toaster. Food was okay too. Scrambled eggs, veggie omelettes, cheese omelettes, sausage patties, bacon. The service was good though. They kept replenishing everything.

Parking was good but it seemed very crowded. Wondering if the cars really belonged to guests. We’re supposed to put a parking pass on the car dash, but I didn’t see many on some cars. Also, I think non-guests just drive over to use the pool. There’s no enforcement, which is not good.
There isn’t a lot of staff working, it seems, either.

One good thing is that the hotel is close to the beach. It’s walkable. There’s also a trolley cart that can drive you to Coligny Beach Park. You just have to call the number of the people running the trolley.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family

Dear Nyclwl,
Thank you very much for your detailed review!
We are happy to hear that your found our rooms to be clean and comfortable.
Your observations on the lack of pool towels or parking spaces is much appreciated.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.