“Very disrespectful hostess”

Lieu's Chinese Bistro
Ranked #60 of 1,032 Restaurants in Greenville
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Since opening its present location in September 2003, Lieu's Chinese Bistro has become a staple dining destination for authentic upscale Chinese cuisine in the Greenville, SC area. Lieu’s Chinese Bistro’s specialties include Mongolian beef, spicy shredded pork, curry chicken, salt and pepper calamari, pineapple duck, and mandarin scallops. It offers a variety of seafood dishes, including pan-fried Chilean sea bass filets, steamed fish du jour, and sweet and sour shrimp.
Reviewed 17 June 2022

I called early this week to reserve a large, more private table at Lieu's for a birthday party for two women at my church. When I reserved the room, I was told that it could accommodate a total of 12 people. We had 10 RSVP, so I though everything was good. When I arrived about 5 minutes early with a few other members of the group, the hostess refused to seat us because our entire party was not present. About 20 minutes later, 8 members of our party of 10 had arrived, and I asked to be seated as two of our party members were not sure when they could arrive and didn't realize they had to arrive right at 6PM to be seated. As we walked back, the hostess refused to allow our party to sit at the private table in the back I had called and reserved. She was having the wait staff move the drinks/waters/silverware to another table of the same size in the bigger dining room. There were very few patrons in the restaurant at the time and actually for the whole evening, so space wasn't an issue. The hostess insisted that she could "not allow us to have this table with 10 chairs as our party had only 8." This was even though our other two members were on their way, but did not arrive exactly on time. I was humiliated in front of my friends as I had tried to make this a special event for my church group, and I was treated like I was attempting to do something wrong or deceptive by asking for the room I had reserved. I will never eat here again. This was very poor customer service, and there was no reason for it.

Date of visit: June 2022
5  Thank USCJo

Reviewed 6 June 2022

This is not the average fast food take-out place. Every dish is designed to tickle your taste buds with real Chinese cooking, distinctive and delicious. Yes, the price is higher but this place is a must when you want really good Chinese food.

Date of visit: June 2022
1  Thank Larry B
Reviewed 24 January 2022

I really enjoy the Kung Pao and often often it. However, just recently I have noticed that it was very dry with little sauce. I asked for extra sauce the next time and was charged $2.00 and it was not given on the side but added. It seems very expensive for something I could barely tell how much was added. Certainly, it was not $2.00 worth.

Date of visit: December 2021
Reviewed 7 November 2021 via mobile

Tasty lunch here - excellent lunch time menu options at good prices. Service is always good here too. Highly recommend trying.

Date of visit: July 2021
Reviewed 9 August 2021 via mobile

Lieu’s disappointed last night in significant ways. Interestingly, they had no wait at all when multiple nearby restaurants had a 45-minute wait, so maybe their failings are the reason. We ordered two appetizers, pork dumplings and tempura green beans. The dumplings arrived really quickly, but were undercooked. We asked for fried and they were fried only on one side, the other side and the bottom were still doughy. And they were so huge, that there was a large amount of filling inside, and gave the impression of eating a hamburger instead of a tender dumpling. The green beans appetizer arrived with our entrées. We ate them, but this was really unacceptably late. At no point did anyone offer to comp us for the green beans given that they arrived so late. My shrimp fried rice tasted pretty good, but there were not many shrimp in it. I understand they were large, but there were so few that visually you could only see one single shrimp in the entire dish when it arrived. Finally, The server did not do an adequate job of keeping my drink filled. When I pay for a drink, I expect to be able to drink it for the entire meal, not do without that paid-for beverage for half of the meal. The likelihood of our returning to Lieu’s at this point is quite low.

Date of visit: August 2021