1,083 results
All reviews harris teeter exposed beams oil paintings wine and cheese rooftop terrace high ceilings grocery store across the street spacious studio hospitality room converted warehouse wet bar cookies within walking distance foot ceilings first floor east bay continental breakfast
Reviewed 18 June 2018

Great experience staying there. Breakfast, beverages & nightly wine & cheese! Tons of amenities & rooms are charming. Location is near everything. Harris Teeters is right across the street as well as the water.Staff is very accommodating. Roof top deck is a nice touch.

Room Tip: Third floor rooms
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2018

Thank you for sharing this review to TripAdvisor. I am happy to see that you enjoyed everything about the time you spent at Ansonborough Inn, particularly breakfast and wine & cheese. It is also great to know that you had a chance to enjoy our rooftop terrace. Thanks again for posting this review and thank you for choosing Ansonborough Inn. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 18 June 2018

We spent two nights in Charleston before leaving on a 5 day cruise. We wanted to experience the city in way that captured the history and charm of the area. We truly loved our stay at the Ansonborough Inn. We stayed in an executive double room which was clean, spacious, and comfortable. We were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go. The staff was great and the room had modern amenities yet maintained the feeling of stepping back into time. We had one issue which was out of the control of the staff. The cable was out so we had no TV. The staff graciously refunded our parking fees to make up for the inconvenience. We absolutely recommend the Ansonborough Inn.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family

Thank you very much for taking the time to share this review to TripAdvisor! I am so happy to see that you found Ansonborough Inn to be cozy and charming. It is wonderful to know that we were exactly what you were looking for, for your pre-cruise lodging. I hope that you had a great time on the rest of your vacation, too. Thanks again for sharing this review and thank you for choosing Ansonborough Inn. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 13 June 2018

Really nice hotel. We stayed 3 nights. Very comfortable and within walking distance to most attractions, restaurants, and shopping in the downtown area. We would definitely stay here again. Rooms were very spacious and quiet.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2018

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this review to TripAdvisor! I am happy to learn that you enjoyed the time you spent at Ansonborough Inn. It is wonderful to know that you found our property comfortable and convenient. We hope to see you in the future! Thanks again for sharing this review to TripAdvisor and thank you for choosing Ansonborough Inn!

Reviewed 11 June 2018

We absolutely loved our stay at the Ansonborough Inn. My husband and I stayed four nights, which is ample enough time to formulate an informed opinion of the lodgings. Where to start about our Ansonborough experience? How about with the extremely warm and friendly welcome from the front desk staff and cleaning crew? We saw beautiful smiles and experienced warm greetings from everyone we met. After listening to our tastes in adventures, the front desk crew provided great guidance on potential tours that we’d like to go on and sites that we should see. We were also provided with free parking. I don’t know what we did to receive that offer, but it was GREATLY appreciated! My husband’s buddy met us in town and was also permitted to park in the Ansonborough’s lot while he was visiting for free (but guests of hotel guests are not allowed to park over night).

The common spaces in the Ansonborough were absolutely stunning, with beautiful woodwork, oil paintings, chandeliers, and tasteful antique furniture throughout the hotel. My favorite paintings were of the sea battles and the canines. There were beautiful and interesting things to look at everywhere! Guests are welcome to their own private pub, which looks like it came right out of a several hundred-year-old clipper ship. Guests also have the use of a hospitality room with a fine continental breakfast in the morning (one day I was able to make a scrambled egg and bacon sandwich on a toasted English muffin, which was my favorite breakfast during our stay), beverages throughout the day, and cookies in the afternoon. Apparently there is wine available in the evening, but we did not partake because we were always out on the town. Guests are also welcome to hang out on the rooftop terrace overlooking the bridge and a hint of the harbor. There are seats and tables out in the open for sun bathing or seating under a plant-covered pergola for those who prefer shade.

We stayed on the third floor (the top floor) in a “Spacious Studio” room, room 333. The room had a king size bed, a couch, a sitting chair, ample dressers, night stands and outlets, a writing desk, a closet, refrigerator, microwave, and a pricate bathroom with a tub. We received a complimentary bottle of champagne and there was free wifi. We were on the opposite side of the building from the elevator, so we could not hear it (and the only ice machine was in the hospitality room, two floors down, so we did not hear that either). We were sandwiched between two other rooms and we could hear our neighbors’ conversations. However, since I read about the thin walls on Trip Advisor before I booked, I brought my box fan from home. I turned that on at night and heard NOTHING except the lovely white noise of my fan. So, for the guests that are flying in, perhaps Ansonborough can stock some fans for borrowing for the guests who are light sleepers like me? I had four restful nights on a comfortable mattress in a beautifully decorated and clean room. In fact, when we first walked into our room on day one, it smelled of fresh, clean laundry and was spotless (thank you Ms. Elda!). The room would probably have maintained it’s spotless condition, but hubby and I kept the “do not disturb” sign on the door all four days. Even so, we received a basket of fresh linens, toiletries, coffee and condiments, and our mints at our door every day. The Ansonborough even recycles! This is the first hotel room that I’ve ever stayed in that provided a recycling can AND a trash can in the room. I truly appreciated that.

The location of the Ansonborough was wonderful! It is just off the beaten tourist path, so it is quiet. To get to the touristy areas requires an approximately seven-minute walk. We did have a freak horrific string of thunderstorms during our stay that temporarily flooded much of the city (we are talking about a two hour flood). The road in front of the Ansonborough’s main entrance was knee deep under water for half of an afternoon. There is another entrance on the other side of the building that did not have a flood in front of it. But we didn’t think about that entrance and we waded through the water to get inside. We had just purchased local craft beer to drink while waiting out the storm from the super convenient grocery store just across the street. We were met with friendly smiles from the cleaning staff and we were reassured that they did not mind our wet shoes. IF any flood waters got into the Ansonborough, we did not hear about it, see it, and it did not affect our stay at all. The parking lot was also temporarily flooded, but not as high as the street. If you are driving in though, I’d recommend you bring your truck or SUV just in case the flooding becomes more extreme.

My only critique is from my hubby, not me. He said, “The TV could have been bigger.” However, we barely watched it, so I’m not sure how this is relevant. ;)

Thank you for providing a wonderful home away from home Ansonborough! If I am ever back in town, I’ll be booking with you.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple

WOW! Thank you very much for taking the time to post this lovely and thorough review to TripAdvisor! I am delighted that you completely enjoyed everything about the time you spent at Ansonborough Inn. It is wonderful to know that from the minute you walked in the door and that throughout your time with us you encountered pleasant, smiling staff. It is delighted to know that you found our hotel to be a comfortable "home base" during your visit to Charleston. We want our guests to look forward to returning to the Ansonborough Inn at the end of a busy day of shopping and sightseeing and I am so happy to learn that was exactly how you felt. Thank you again for posting this review to TripAdvisor and, of course, thank you for choosing the Ansonborough Inn. I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back "home" again soon!

Reviewed 11 June 2018

WOW, that is how we arrived. The Hotel Staff was Gracious and Fun to joke around with. Our Rooms were Clean and Our Two Night Stay.... Very Well. Great Place to stay and walking Distance to the Venues.
Thank You....Well Needed.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2018

Thank you very much for sharing this review to TripAdvisor and for choosing Ansonborough Inn as lodging for your family vacation. I an so glad you enjoyed talking to the front desk throughout your stay and that your trip to Charleston was a much needed respite from your day-to-day life. Thanks again for choosing Ansonborough Inn and for posting this review to TripAdvisor. We hope to see you and your family again soon!