“Terrible service, sub par food”

3 Matadors Tequileria
Ranked #312 of 999 Restaurants in Charleston
Price range: US$3 - US$12
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating
Description: 3 Matadors Tequileria is a unique Mexican Restaurant in West Ashley, South Carolina. We offer FRESH and LOCAL shrimp in all of our dishes - tacos, salads, fajitas, burritos, nachos, etc. We have a delicious selection of tequila, and an extraordinary drink menu to go along with that. We offer outdoor seating on our large front deck, and live music on the weekends.
Reviewed 3 May 2018

Arrived for lunch al fresco on a Saturday, the porch has both shaded and sunny spots. That was the only good part... server had a foul attitude, presumably because the place was under-staffed. Dining room was empty, 4 people at the bar and three other parties outside... waited 25 minutes for drinks and another hour for food (simple tacos) nothing complicated. Not sure if there was a staff crisis (there were at least 3 other people working which seemed adequate for the small "crowd") that day but we will not be returning despite convenient location to the golf course and plantations.

Reviewed 9 April 2018 via mobile

In town for a few weeks. Craving some Mexican and found this place. Was expecting a traditional menu and at first was disappointed when I saw the menu. But when the chips and salsa arrived we were all surprised and pleased. The chips, salsa and guacamole were top notch. I would have to assume the chips are homemade. When the food arrived we were even more surprised. Food was great, prices were reasonable and we left full. Atmosphere was nice and friendly. The only “complaint” is the hostess seemed less than enthusiastic to be there. That’s your first impression even if your having a rough day in hospitality industry you have to generate enthusiasm. Our wait staff was great and friendly. Will return.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

I have passed 3 Matadors many times and finally decided to try it. While I am not wowed by the atmosphere the food was good and they did serve huge portions.

Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

After being rained out during a planned day in the plantation district, we happened on a number of mexican restaurants. After quickly looking at a handful of reviews, we decided to give 3 Matadors a try.

We attempted to start with an appetizer, but were 0 for 2 when selecting stuffed jalapenos and then fried jalapenos. So, we skipped the appetizer which was just as well since we did not eat all of our food as it was.

My husband ordered the Matadors tacos which consisted of chorizo, carne asada and carnitas. He LOVED them. I had to have a bite and must agree. They were very good. He also had the Mexi Blue Cheese slaw and the Honey Chipoltle corn. Both were unique and excellent.

I went traditional and ordered what I thought was a safe choice -- chicken fajitas. These were not traditional style fajitas.

The chicken was very tender, but was more of a consistency of slow cooked chicken, cut into chunks , seasoned and possibly briefly grilled. Unlike many fajitas served on an oily iron skillet, the chicken was served in a stainless bowl with a few peppers and onions. They were not at all oily which was a real plus, BUT they were unlike any fajitas that I have ever had. They weren't bad, but I am not sure that the seasoning or the preparation actually qualified them as fajitas.

The meal came with a choice of rice; I chose the pineapple rice. It also came with black or pinto beans; I chose pinto. I ordered an addition side of the honey chipotle corn.

The rice lacked pineapple or pineapple flavor. The beans were simple, but had melted cheese on top which was a nice addition and the corn was a wonderful. The honey chipotle seasoning on the corn was a wonderfully balanced combination.

All in all it was not a bad food experience.

The location lacked atmosphere and style. It pretty much just seemed like a bar with bull fight posters on the wall.

Give 3 Matadors a try, provide honest feedback and perhaps they will end up a 5!

Reviewed 23 February 2018

My family and I were exploring the area and happened upon this restaurant. We decided to give it a try. We sat outside and each ordered our meal. The chips and guacamole were yummy! The chicken tacos were some of the best I have ever had and the pineapple rice was surprisingly very good as well! Our server was friendly. I would definitely eat here again!