Lowest prices for your stay
Get rewarded with One Key
ZenHotels.com
$437
No prepayment needed
TVtravel030
Los Angeles, California

Classic Hotel Vibes

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 4 Apr 2024
When I travel for work, I do an extensive search for a hotel. Probably over do it. I can easily discount a hotel if they say start breakfast at 8 because I have to leave for the location I'm working at at 8:30. Which crazy enough, some hotels do. I picked this hotel because it met many of my needs based on what I read in reviews. I'm glad I did. To be honest, style wise, it's not the kind of hotel I would normally choose. Usually I go with modern and dare I say, a little trendy if the city I'm in has that option. Based on the reviews, I thought, I'm going to try this. It doesn't hurt to switch it up and had good reviews. So here I am.

When you walk in, it has a nice large elegant feel and something reminiscent of the old lavish hotels you would see from the steel baron days. It felt comforting and classic. Check in went well and everyone I encountered at the hotel were really nice so it was a good start to the stay. I got to my room and sadly had to switch right away. I'm noise sensitive ( I sound like a broken record based on other reviews) and they put me in a room right next to an HVAC unit which is loud and since I'm there for work, need quiet. When I went to the lobby, they switched me to a better room. A quieter one that looks out to the city and not the gears that make the heating and cooling work. The room itself was fine. Thankfully all around quiet so I got good sleep.

NOW I will say something that needs a little improvement. The hallways and carpet are really dated and look dirty. Also, you can tell a lot of the doors need some TLC and paint. A good amount had scratches and chipped paint. It made me feel a little sad that it hadn't been taken care of as to keep the integrity and classic feel of the property but those dirty elements just took away from that feeling. Also, I had a draining issue in the room that was fixed quickly. I think there must be a little issue with housekeeping because I had mentioned that the coffee maker still had a used capsule or whatever you want to call it so I'm guessing these are never cleaned. I even asked for my room to be service and they still didn't clean it. It probably has been there for a while. The other thing was that they made the bed but never gave clean towels. I was kind of surprised since I thought it would happen as is part of housekeeping. It didn't distract from my stay but made me scratch my head as I did see housekeeping on the floor every morning. Those were probably the only negative aspects but thankfully the room was fine otherwise.

Valet was great. It took them no time to get the car which I'm thankful for since in the morning, I'm always battling time and traffic. I do wish they had an updated system where you could just text them the number and they receive it versus calling guest services who then have to call valet. Only once did they not relay and unfortunately the valet said, this is the second time this has happened tonight.

The food was pretty good. In full disclosure, one of the reasons I picked this hotel is because I eat plant based and they had options at breakfast and dinner even if it's just an Impossible Burger. I didn't have it at breakfast but they also had Impossible sausages so knowing they had these as options gave me the option to eat at the hotel or not. One morning for breakfast I had the a la carte menu because it was Friday and on weekends it's a buffet. There is also a coffee shop attached to the hotel that has quick bites and a good selection at that.

I'm happy I chose this hotel and would stay here again when in Pittsburgh. There aren't too many of these types of hotels left, so take advantage of them if you can.
Trip type: Travelled on business
Matthew Heymann, Other at Omni William Penn Hotel, responded to this review
Responded 5 Apr 2024
Such a great review! Thank you for the feedback! See you again!
$316
    $334
1.3 km from Omni William Penn Hotel
View more hotels in Pittsburgh
5,352 results
All reviews terrace room across the street downtown pittsburgh beautiful lobby valet parking within walking distance convention center market square tap speakeasy chandeliers ballroom bellman garage closet concert game
Selected filters
Reviewed 28 March 2024 via mobile

This hotel looks like it’s old. I’m a good way. The lobby is classy. All the employees that I encountered were friendly and professional. There is a restaurant off of the lobby and a speakeasy bar in the lower level. It also looks very cool from out on the street. A nice place.

Trip type: Travelled on business
Matthew Heymann, Other at Omni William Penn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2024

So nice to read!! Thank you for sharing.

Reviewed 27 March 2024 via mobile

Perfect location and certainly a Grand dame type of hotel. We were able to walk to the basketball arena, the Heinz history museum and downtown towards Market square.

Felt very safe and better than most big cities. A nice bar and restaurant. Unlike some older hotels, our room was gigantic.

Trip type: Travelled with family

So great to hear! We loved hosting!

Reviewed 25 March 2024

A grand stay at a historical hotel! If and when we come to the city again, we all decided we would only stay at the William Penn! We didn’t want to leave!
They took care of us all weekend! We can not thank them enough!

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Great to hear!! We loved having you!

Reviewed 13 March 2024

I had a reservation for 2 nights (3/8 and 3/9). On the flight out of SFO I
had a medical emergency and was taken off the plane in Denver, and
hospitalized for 2 nights. Due to my condition I had to return to San Francisco.

I was SO disappointed, since your hotel is my favorite, and those times I've stayed
there before the entire experience was exhilarating. Its elegance, old-world charm, staff, room, food - just everything - was perfect! I cannot wait to stay
there again on my next trip to Pittsburgh!

Room tip: Take advantage of all the amenities!
Date of stay: June 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Matthew Heymann, Other at Omni William Penn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2024

Thank you for the great review! I hope you feel better! See you next time!

Reviewed 13 March 2024 via mobile

Had the best welcome from Candace ( Front Desk) as she upgraded my reservation at no extra cost. My wife (Sonia) also very pleased with, not only the ambiance and accommodations, but the excellent service and attentions from staff employees. Definitely this hotel is second to none y Philadelphia.

Trip type: Travelled solo
Zach Bowlen, Other at Omni William Penn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2024

Thank you very much! We will be sure to pass this on to Candace!