Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Travel0581
Royal Oak, Michigan

Hidden gem

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 20 Feb 2024
This find was a hidden gem! A former Benedictine Monastery with 42 boutique rooms. The interior has been redone during/since the pandemic and still has a lot of the original woodwork and hardware on the doors. It’s a very unique, well-kept facility. We had a Deluxe King room which was spacious with a very comfortable bed and quality linens. Their little “Monks” bar was just right for what we were looking for. The bartender that evening, Maureen, even gave us a tour of the former attached church which they use as an event space. Delicious coffee served in the morning in the “refectory”(former dining room) was a welcome change from the chain hotels morning beverage with real cream! Staff was very kind and helpful with nearby restaurant choices and just to talk about this lovely hotel. Give it a try!
Date of stay: February 2024
Room Tip: Free parking in their lot across the street from hotel. There is no restaurant on-site but you...
Trip type: Travelled with family
5.0 of 5 bubblesValue
5.0 of 5 bubblesLocation
5.0 of 5 bubblesService
John Graf, Owner at The Priory Hotel, responded to this review
Responded 24 Apr 2024
We are gratified that you took the time to help other travelers understand the charm of our independent, boutique hotel. Our staff will be thrilled to hear of your kind review.
$284
$173
  • DoubleTree
6.4 km from The Priory Hotel
View more hotels in Pittsburgh
All reviews grand hall monk's bar benedictine monastery pnc park north side unique hotel warhol museum across the street within walking distance pirates game breakfast was delicious shuttle downtown parking wedding bridge steelers
Selected filters
Reviewed 21 February 2024

The hotel is gorgeous, the employees were helpful and we were able to utilize the shuttle to go to the casino. The bed was comfy and the breakfast was good. We stayed 3 nights and absolutely loved it. Throughout the hotel are old pieces of furniture as well as old pics/drawings of the building from when it was a monastery. There was even a boxing match in the grand hall but we heard no noise even in the lobby, assumingely due to the structure of the building.

Room tip: Our friends complaned of lobby noise because their room was on the 1st floor. we stayed on the 3rd floor and had zero complaints/problems
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
John Graf, Owner at The Priory Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2024

Thanks so much for your kind review. Our team puts a lot of effort into maintaining a high level of cleanliness, charm and service, and they will very much appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed 17 February 2024

I stayed for three nights ahead of few days of work in Cranberry Township. I really like the character of the Priory and added to the enjoyment of my trip. The big chains all look alike and don't give you any feeling of where you are. With the Priory you know you've gone somewhere.

It's within walking distance of PNC Park and Heinz Field (never say Acrisure!). Fineview Overlook is within walking distance; but know that it is quite the uphill/up steps trek.

Pittsburgh is one of my favorite cities and I enjoy walking through the city. I spend a warm Saturday in February walking from the Priory through the Fineview, Spring Hill, and Troy Hill neighborhoods. 8.5 miles up and down the city steps capped with a meal at Max's Allegheny Tavern just a block or two away from the hotel.

I will admit that the neighborhood can appear unsafe and not everyone is middle class. I walked to the grocery store (conveniently a block away). I walked down to the river. I walked up to Fineview Overlook. I walked everywhere and *never* felt unsafe.

The hotel staff is very friendly, saying "Hello" each time I passed the desk (and the front desk was always staffed).

The rooms are very clean and appear to have been updated within the last few years. The only negative about the rooms is that the bathroom is small. Very small. The shower is the size of a phone booth and there is no counter space by the sink. As with any hotel, WiFi might not be the fastest but it works.

There are two parking lots, both gravel and free. One is in front of the hotel right across the street. It's small and awkward. The other is on the side of the hotel; it's fenced & gated with keycard access.

Order your breakfast the night before - yogurt; ham, cheese, & egg croissant; and a muffin. It will be in the dining room at the specified time and tastes pretty good. I'm not a drinker and did not use the bar.

Because I visited in February, I didn't hang out in the courtyard was shaded and chilly.

My last tip would be to check the prices before you go. On a whim, I checked the price a week before my trip. The rate had dropped and I was able to get a third night for the same price as my original two.

• Trip type: Travelled solo

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience at our property!

Reviewed 13 February 2024

Love this place! They have an awesome, outdoor courtyard and a very cool, little bar. It's a beautiful, clean place to stay and the staff is wonderful....
I would definitely recommend this place to anyone. We'll be staying again, for sure..

Date of stay: February 2024
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 2 February 2024

Full of charm and beautifully maintained. The free parking and shuttle service are real bonuses. The staff is very friendly and check-in and out is a breeze. There are two things that could be improved upon and they are very minor. The bathrooms are beautiful, but as I get older, one grab bar in the tub/shower would be a bonus if not a necessity. The other (still in the bathroom), would be a corner shower caddy rather than the white wire unit that hangs on the shower head. These aren't deal breakers, it's still my place in Pittsburgh!

Room tip: I prefer the "new" section, but have stayed in the original, also. You can't go wrong no matter where you stay in the hotel.
Date of stay: January 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

We are honored to be your "go to" in Pittsburgh! See you soon, we hope!

Reviewed 1 January 2024

I booked one night at The Priory, Northside, Pittsburgh to enjoy nearby Rivers Casino. The Priory is a top drawer boutique hotel in an historic building beautifully decorated for the holidays. The staff was very friendly and welcoming. My room was small but spotlessly clean, with a comfortable bed and plenty of pillows and towels. The convenient free parking lot was secure. A wedding party had booked the attached Hall which sounded festive and fun. Best of all, The Priory offered free shuttle service to Rivers Casino (Fri, Sat only). Downside: the surrounding Northside neighborhood is sketchy; I wouldn't want to walk around it at night.

Room tip: Ask about the free Casino shuttle service on Friday and Saturday.
Date of stay: December 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank MERdog15

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and many thanks for sharing your experience!