“Organic berries and fresh produce in a low-key farm”
Review of Indian Orchards

Indian Orchards
Ranked #8 of 17 things to do in Media
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed 14 July 2017

4th generation family operated business, working hard to preserve their orchard, providing quality, organic berries, peaches, and apples- either pick your own or quick pickup in their farm stand. Honey from their bee hives, apple sauce, loads of produce. Support your local, small farmer and keep farms as valuable open-space, providing many teachable moments to our children. Flowers, home decor, plants, pumpkins, and other seasonable items available at farm stand.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"farm"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 30 April 2017

This farm has modernized their sales in recent years, but held on to the most important tradition - excellent, fresh produce. Apples are delicious!

1  Thank ColleenMG
Reviewed 28 November 2016

I, recently, came back to pick at Indian Orchards for the 5th year in a row. So peaceful, so authentic and true. It's not a gigantic industrial machine, but a neighborhood orchard, run by a caring family. There are many kinds of apples and other fruit (LOVE THE RASPBERRIES!!!) and it's all in a low-key, quiet and peaceful farm. Prices are reasonable and fruit is delicious. I love this place and its owner-family and make this a yearly (often multiple visit years!) tradition.

Reviewed 24 October 2015 via mobile

My family chose to come to Indian Orchards because A) we just wanted to pick apples. Hayrides and kiddie stuff isn't necessary for a family with grown kids and B) We chose this farm because they use Integrated Pest Management. The family told us that they use organic practices but can't pay for the organic seal.

The farm is very cosy and employees are very friendly and eager to explain their farming practices. The day I visited there was a dog in a plaid sweater greeting visitors. I was told she sometimes wears an Eagles jersey :)

The orchards themselves seem very well taken care of, especially in contrast to Linvilla, where the apples have been on the ground so long it smells like hard cider. The apple section is fabulous. They have your standard supermarket choices but also have types that would be hard to find in a store or not offered there. They even have what the farm calls "heirloom" varieties which they say come from the oldest trees on the property.

Recommended if you don't need the frills, you want to support a small family farm, and you are concerned about the quality of your apples!

See more reviews
Reviewed 11 September 2015

This small, family-owned farm has been in the family for 5 generations. They use organic methods to care for their orchards, so if organic is important to you, here is a place you can pick your own!

Be prepared to spend money. There is a per head charge to walk into the orchards, eating from the trees is discouraged, and the price per pound of fruit is high, comparable to a grocery store organic. They do not take credit cards for charges under $15, so you need cash to pay the "entrance to the orchard" fee.

We picked apples, pears, and peaches and spent $15 for about 5 pounds of fruit. If I had wanted to pick for canning, like jelly or apple butter, there is no discount if you pick a half or whole bushel, charge is always per pound.

The folks running it have just taken it over from the previous generation, so they are working hard to modernize some systems (no web page for example) and streamline operations. It seems like a gem in the rough.

I plan to go back in the Spring when the asparagus is producing, the owner says it is prolific and delicious. Not sure I would bother with tree fruits or berries though. The pick your own experience isn't worth it to me. If I want organic fruit, I'll go to the store and save myself the sunburn. If I want massive quantities for canning, I'll find an orchard that will give me a good price for large purchases.

1  Thank Truu03