“Row seating is annoying but food is good”

Legal Sea Foods - King of Prussia
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Mall Blvd
Description: Legal Sea Foods is a Philly favorite. Come for the seafood and stay to shop. Our restaurant is located in the Main Line at the King of Prussia Mall, which is situated just 15 minutes northwest of Philadelphia. Surrounded by hotels and near both the Valley Forge Convention Center and Valley Forge National Historic Site, we are at a mall entrance on the upper level of the Court, easily identified by the gilded fish out front. Guests get reeled in by our buzz-worthy lounge and comfortable dining room. Half-shell hedonists may sit at our 10-seat horse-shoe shaped oyster bar where slurping is encouraged. Or for those on the go, our adjacent take-out counter casts a wide net.
Reviewed 6 March 2017 via mobile

Good lobster roll and crab cake (mustard sauce was good too!) Kind of pricey but its a chain in a mall so normal in that respect. I hate being seated in a long open row where u sit right next to strangers.. we weren't offered any alternative but ended up getting along with the ladies next to us anyway. It's just tricky if you want any privacy of conversation. Overall, expensive for good (but not exceptional) food with moderate to annoying seating and ambiance. My husband was also blinded through half of his meal where they have skylights in the mall that let in lots of natural light yet there's no blinds to stop the glare in the restaurant. Everyone facing that way was getting blinded. Seems like they could splurge to fix that by now as it can't be the first time it's happened.

Date of visit: March 2017

Reviewed 2 March 2017

The first time I went to Legal Seafoods, I fell in love - with their Boston Cream Pie, which I still think is one of the best (if not the best) Cream Pies I have ever had.

That said, I don't just go for dessert, so we usually eat a meal to go along with the sugar. Generally, I am excited, but after our last experience at Legal Sea Foods, I felt compelled to write based on my increasing disappointment with my visits.

First - to be clear - the Boston Cream Pie was as outstanding as it ever was. It was however, everything else that left things desired. To begin, our service was tardy, as was all food delivery. The first table they sat us at constantly shook, and I could see the glass of water shaking, Jurassic Park Style, which made both of us at ill ease. The staff were nice enough to re-seat us,but it put us on edge. For food, we ordered appies, two main courses of their seafood casserole and special Norwegian Cod (Skrei), and some wines to pair. Unfortunately, the restaurant did not sell Prosecco, so my wife settled for Brut, which she found a very poor alternative. On the other hand, my 2012 cabsav was absolutely amazing, and well worth the $12 asking price.

In terms of food, our experiences at Legal Seafood have now blended together into the culinary memory equivalent of bland white fish - nutritious, but nothing you'll really remember, except in this case that you paid a lot more than you think you should have for such a meal.

Overall, I would rate Legal as "average" considering the high price point on their food; otherwise the restaurant should fix you up if you are in the mood for some seafood.

Reviewed 26 February 2017 via mobile

Always order big rock oysters, clam chowder. Today had crab cake special with scallops and shrimp. Kitchen was nice enough to split do that we could share. Finish with vanilla ice cream chocolate bon bon. (Only $1.50 for one). Bananas foster at next table looked good.

It is crowded on Saturday night. We were served warm rolls and butter before we had silverware to spread the butter. The table next to us had lobster served before receiving bib, lobster cracker or shell container. But that is my only complaint.

We enjoy the seafood here. Especially the clam chowder. (New England, of course).

Reviewed 26 February 2017 via mobile

Our waiter was Earl and he was fantastic. Made us feel special. He gave great recommendations and we had a great conversation with him. Food was fresh and delicious, little pricey but worth it. Had a wonderful time! Definitely a great restaurant. If you come here, ask for Earl!

1  Thank brucem920
Reviewed 26 February 2017

The restaurant has lots of seats and a bar offering seating. Legal are always good for a large bowl of clam chowder. Just had to get my chowder fix. Not disappointed.