“Lovely getaway”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Red Dog Retreat

A warm and cosy retreat to listen to music, read books, watch movies or just savour the forest.
Simple rustic charm - a place to chill out in the peace and tranquility of the forest. Snuggle up in front of the fire.
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Snuggle up in front of the fire.
Savour the view and the sound of birdsong from your bedroom.
Soak in the spa bath and relax
Sit on the veranda and watch the wombats wander past.
Bedroom - electric blankets and goose down doonas supplied
Enjoy a romantic spa bath at the end of your day
Enjoy the cooler mountain breezes in summer
The view from our road
The lush rain forest vegetation
Red Dog Retreat - on 18 acres of ancient rain forest.
Our beautiful ancient stones
Such a tranquil place to contemplate and take in all that nature provides
What a view to wake up to....
A satisfied guest!
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Sydney, Australia
“Lovely getaway”
Reviewed 11 August 2016 for a stay in August 2016
person found this review helpful

Very much enjoyed my stay at Red Dog. The cottage was largely as anticipated and Sally very thoughtful. Largely peaceful and very pretty surrounds, clean, very comfortable lounge room, fabulous fire. The kitchen is tiny, but well equipped. Loved lying in bed in the morning with curtains open, or chilling on the veranda, and looking out at the view. 20 minute drives to some good bushwalking in Moron National Park and Seven Mile Beach.

A few small things took it down to a 4 out of five for me, and more about what I am looking for as an individual - I think the main bed could do with an upgrade. I ended up with a very sore lower back. Since I was staying for a week, I came well equipped with food etc, but found storage for this difficult with the bar-sized fridge and lack of free shelving, so a lot of it ended up on the kitchen table - which also needs to be used for prep space. Great gas stove/oven though! (Just bring large knives if you need them). Strangely for several of the nights, there was some mechanical sound going on at night - and I couldn't work out if it was planes or machinery or a generator being used nearby. Not an issue the owners can deal with, but just a little disappointing that the peace was interrupted, and I was trying to go to sleep.

The second cottage on the property is a little bit further down the shared drive, so they and anyone else passes Red Dog when they go there. It is a very steep drive, so a low front wheel drive is not great. I was there during wet weather, so ended up parking my car up the top of the drive for the whole stay at the smart suggestion of Sally. Just a warning for those with small cars.

Travelling group: Solo Traveller
Your age range 35-49
Management Response
12 Aug 2016
Hi, thank you for your lovely comments and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay. I just wanted to respond concerning the bed, in case people are put off. All of the mattresses were replaced with high quality new ones in early June this year. Your bed also had a feather mattress topper for additional comfort. So sorry that, in this case it didn't suit your requirements - a very disappointing outcome. We have had many guests commenting on how comfortable they found the beds. Regarding the noise at night, I am completely at a loss to know what it was. As you know, we are on 18 acres of rural land so I can only assure you that it would not have been any form of machinery, generator, or pump running at night. If it was some sort of air traffic, it would be a very rare occurrence. Thank you for your other comments, we appreciate you taking the time as we are always looking for ways to improve our guest experience.
SiScarlet...
Canberra, Australia
“Peaceful escape”
Reviewed 3 August 2016 for a stay in August 2016
people found this review helpful

Some of the most peaceful and relaxing days I have had in a long long time. Kangaroo valley turned on the rain and we loved it! A quick trip down to berry for some gourmet snacks and a few bottles of wine and then back to red dog to snuggle up by the fire.
We stayed in the bottom cabin called the fernery, the decor is rustic and charming and it really does feel like a home away from home. The only beautiful difference being you can't hear any cars whizzing past your window just some playful local parrots!
Added to our lovely stay we were lucky enough to see an echidna, kookaburras, a wombat and even some dolphins at 7 mile beach (20 min drive)
We definitely recommend red dog to anyone looking for a lovely mountain escape... We will be back ourselves before too long!

thelauren...
Sydney, Australia
“Fantastic cottage AND dog friendly!”
Reviewed 16 March 2016 for a stay in October 2015
person found this review helpful

Celebrated my husbands birthday here and what a treat it was! We were surrounded by nature with everything at our fingertips. The booking process was super easy and even though we arrived late at night the instructions were detailed so we didn't get lost. There were fresh, free range eggs waiting for us and the lodge was super private. Even better was that we could share this occasion with our little dog. He absolutely loved exploring the wilderness, enjoying the freedom of a large backyard and making friends with the neighbours golden retriever! Recommended by Red Dog, we had massages on our balcony and they were AMAZING; being pampered while listening to the birds chirping was a pretty special experience. I also organised a surprise hamper through another company they recommended and had a picnic on the local dog friendly beach. We got to sit back and stuff our faces full of good food while our dog sprinted laps up and down the sand. The whole experience was fantastic and staying at this cottage gave us the freedom to either go have fun or relax and vege out in the middle of the bushland (surrounded by wombats!). There are also heaps of 'eating out' options in the Berry township nearby, with plenty of outdoor seating if you have a pet in tow. I would highly recommend this cottage, especially for people who love their pets and don't want to leave them behind. We very much look forward to visiting again soon.

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway People with pets
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
martinsmi...
Kingsford, Australia
“Relax in nature”
Reviewed 25 February 2016 for a stay in February 2016

Weekend which we spent in the Red Dog Retreat was exactly what we need. Amazing cottage in the middle of green forest which offers luxury of spa bath, bbq on the front porch, fully utilized kitchen and cosy living room.

The place is pet friendly so our dog had a great time too :)

Travelling group: Friends
Recommended for:
Families with young children People with pets
Cindy H
Australia
“Enchantment and Serenity wrapped into one cottage!”
Reviewed 13 February 2016 for a stay in February 2016

I had almost forgotten how to truly unwind before I came to this little piece of heaven! Set amongst the rainforest within very short driving to Kangaroo Valley, Berry or Nowra, you find yourself in another world away from the hustle and bustle of the touristy spots. If you are looking for absolute quiet, where you can sit all day and listen for the birds singing their delightful songs, or take the time to watch the fog lifting off the valley below and see the new day beginning breathing in the fresh air and watch as the lighting keeps shifting through the forest greenery, see at dusk the critters come out hopefully or take a walk chancing to spot the many wombats living here (we saw a few and their friends the Echindnas) this is the place to stay.
Sally and Ian are perfect hosts setting up the pantry with the necessities, far above the salt and pepper, tea, coffee, and sugar ensemble one would expect. The fridge is plenty big enough and the oven works well enough you will not miss their is no microwave and actually ask yourself why do I have so many things in my own kitchen that I never use?
Wonderful pillows, bedding, and cut wood at your door step, and I am very particular about cleanliness. Even the tub area which often shows signs of mold in the finest accommodation was perfect. Plenty of hot water, the only criticism I have is that now I think my home is too large and I want to simplify my life, move to this area, and be Sallys neighbor and share extras from our gardens.
If you are looking for a rustic but perfect, clean and absolutely good find where you will not want to write a review like this for fear of never being able to rebook since it will be occupied but feel compelled to do the right thing.......look no further.

Liked best: Peaceful setting
Liked least: Wanted to see more wombats while I gazed out from my bedroom window!!! Only saw two!!!!
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway People with pets
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing