Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Fred Mertz

Happy to recommend

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 28 Apr 2023
A great place to stay in Byron, nice room, great location where you can walk into town and the beach, quiet area of town, well priced, bbq and pool area. Already very popular and can understand why.
Date of stay: March 2023
  • StayForLong
1.2 km from Wollongbar Motel
Beachfront
View more hotels in Byron Bay
All reviews great location private beach access locked gate motor inn big bathroom rooms are spacious few minutes walk town centre short stay ceiling fan pool area main beach belongil beach couple of nights fantastic stay a great place to stay byron
Selected filters
Reviewed 25 April 2023

We stayed one night in a Deluxe Family Suite. It was clean, very spacious for 3 adults and quiet. There was a kitchenette with a stove and a microwave which was enough to prepare a good breakfast.

There is direct access to the Belongil Beach through a locked gate, so the hotel key is needed to be able to return. This is an important detail, because on the last day we returned our key and went to the beach through the hotel gate planning to walk to the Main Beach. Unfortunately because the beach had been washed away, in high tide it was quite difficult to walk to the Main Beach. However, because we didn’t have the key we couldn't return to the hotel, so we were forced to brave the high tide.

Reviewed 1 February 2023 via mobile

Booked the Wollongbar motel based on the location, price and good reviews. A quick easy two minute walk into town. Also, with private beach access through a gate at the back of the property, you can walk across the train tracks, down the path to Belongil beach and up to Main beach. While located on busy Shirley St, I didn’t notice any traffic noise, just the sounds of the ocean. We stayed in a Double Balcony room, upstairs towards the back of the building. The room was very spacious, comfortable and clean. It is an older style motel but has been updated and while basic has everything you need (fan, aircon). The room felt a little dark due to the aspect and older style security windows but you could open the balcony door to let in light and air (the navy blue accents contributed to the darker feel). If styled with sandy creams or earthy tones, the room would feel a little lighter and more Byron, and flow better with the cream and white exterior. Same with the pool, a few simple updates, with a coat of white paint, a couple of new lounge chairs and some pot plants or landscaping would really lift the pool area. The pool was lovely and warm, we had a swim everyday day after the beach. Overall our stay was quiet and relaxing, being located close to but just outside the busy town. We were talking to someone who has been coming to Byron for the last 16 years and always stays at the Wollongbar, doesn’t even look elsewhere. The ‘affordable for Byron’ price is a step up from a private room in a hostel. We didn’t have a car and while a bus stop was located right out front of the motel, we never saw a bus go by. Byron isn’t well set up for public transport, so it’s harder to get around town without a car, we did a lot of walking. I just wish they had adult and kids bikes available at the motel! Most bike rental places were closed after COVID. The Byron Bus interchange is less than a 10 minute walk, we caught the public bus direct to Ballina airport on the way home about an hour’s trip (cash only $4.50 Adult / $2.20 Child). The reception staff were lovely and helpful. While the room was not serviced during our stay you could get fresh towels and toiletries from reception. And there was an on-site laundry $3 wash $3 dry.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 27 December 2022

The Wollongbar Motel is very well located on Shirley Street, with rear gate access to Belongil Beach and just a few minutes walk into the town centre with the cafes, restaurants, pubs, bakery, grocery stores and Main Beach. We stayed for two nights in a very clean and comfortable room. The staff were helpful and very welcoming, which all made for a pleasant two night family stay in Byron Bay.

Reviewed 20 December 2022 via mobile

Everything you need for an amazing stay, extremely helpful and friendly lady on reception! Private walkway to beach, lovely big rooms, even got all our washing done in the onsite laundry
Would highly recommend so close to Byron Bay town centre and pool spotless with huge bbq.
Thanks for a great stay xx

Date of stay: December 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 December 2022

I arrived here coming, by hire car, from the Gold Coast and found it relatively easy. There was free parking in front of the buildings in the motel like concept off this establishment.

The problem was that I arrived at 19:10 and the reception was already closed for the day!!! Everything was securely locked up but there was a message that, in urgent cases, one could call Andy at a given number. My problem was that I only had a smartphone with a European SIM card which didn't work in Australia. Not sure what to do now, i walked across the road to a phone booth to discover to my surprise that national calls within Australia could be made free of charge. So, I was able to contact Andy who told me that they had sent me a message to my account on booking.com telling me that I was booked into a room on the 1st floor. And that my room key was under the mat. Of course, not having access to the WiFi I hadn't picked up on this message.

Anyway, panic over, I made my way to my room. To be honest it was pretty basic. It was large enough for one occupant with one large double bed. There was a small round table with 2 upright chairs. WiFi didn't work for me in the room which was a continuous problem.  There were a few electrical sockets, a kettle and some packets of tea, instant coffee and small carton of milk in the fridge.  Oh, and the inevitable flat screen telly. There was a separate WC and separate bathroom. Apparently, there was guest access to the beach to the beach, but I didn't use it.

After a trouble-free night, I checked out the next morning by the prescribed 10:00. The lady at the cramped reception area full crammed full of beds, mattresses & bedding was very friendly. And I also bumped into the famous Andy who was chatty enough as he went about his chores. Both seemed relaxed & laid back which is probably the overall spirit of Byron Bay.

After breakfast, which I took elsewhere, I asked at the reception for a pool towel and used the morning to take a dip in the small hotel pool and do some essential catching up on my laptop. At poolside the WiFi worked.

All in all, this was a very basic place, but it met my needs for the one night. Oh, and over at Aldi's I bought a local SIM card to avoid any further problems of connectivity to the rest of the world electronically.

Date of stay: November 2022