All reviews restaurant next door meal deal reception staff the pub all you can eat good nights sleep family room plenty of parking visiting family rnas culdrose would stay again room was clean and comfortable short break excellent stay lands end stayed here for nights night's sleep
Reviewed 16 July 2018

we took advice and requested the new part on left ,excellent room, some room service was excellent yet during our three days it varied from excellent to poor according to who did the room. breakfast was the worst , leather bacon ,rubber fried eggs, complained but next day the same . wadebridge premier breakfast was 5 star the chef cooked the items to order. The problem at helston is the breakfast staff spend their time leaning on the bar chatting and playing a stupid game with a bottle and a lemon slice. they need a good kicking as continental breakfast was not topped up.

Room Tip: pick new part on left of reception
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2018

The Premier Inn, Helston, is located in a bit of a non-descript area as there was little around it of interest when I arrived at 18:30 one bright Summers evening in July.

There is a large attached eatery called the May Tree, which serves as both a local public bar & restaurant as well as the hotel’s breakfast area.

This Inn certainly has width as my room, 54, literally lay at the end of the very long corridor which is actually fine by me, as the further I’m away from the stairwell/Reception area, the better.

The room, as always with Premier Inn, was clean, tidy and thoroughly fit for purpose. It was also nicely warm and snug once the thermostat had been adjusted to 28’C. I know I’ve already said it was summer but, it does cool down quickly at the far reaches of SW England and I am rather a lover of warmth, especially first thing in the morning.

The only negative point I would perhaps make is that in general, whilst room warmth is great and certainly much welcomed by this regular guest, it’s also rather nice to have a little fresh air circulating, if only for basic health and hygiene reasons. Sadly, this was not possible, as the secondary glazed windows were strangely, fixed in place whereby movement of any kind was simply not possible.

I did actually wonder at the time however that if evacuation were absolutely necessary, how exactly would I escape if not via the hallway? What though if the hallway itself was the issue? Makes you think. doesn't it? Hmmm!

Moving on swiftly…

Having finally washed and settled myself, I decanted to the May Tree next door for my evening meal as there was literally nothing else available, at least in eyeshot to offer an alternative.

The May Tree is a large sprawling Pub/Restaurant whereby all are accommodated and welcomed, assuming that is there is sufficient staff on duty that evening to do exactly that.

Unfortunately, on the night I attended, serving staff were very thin on the ground and therefore suffering accordingly, along of course with their patrons.

Apart from the initial wait of approximately 10 minutes to be served a drink, only finally curtailed when I decided to follow one of the servers to the till and directly ask for service, in all other respects, I found the staff to be pleasant, cordial and generally attentive throughout the evening.

However, it was impossible not to notice that whilst there were numerous, animated conversations regularly occurring behind the bar, there were also a significant number of tables that required clearing which appeared to go unnoticed.

I did make mention of my concerns over staffing levels to one young, clearly beleaguered chap, but rather than protest, he readily agreed and bemoaned the fact that as he was a breakfast sever, he really shouldn’t have been there at all as it was now past 8pm.

My evening meal was very good. The Foriestiere of Chicken was extremely filling so when I added the Vegetable side, I had little space left for pud so, a simple ice cream was called for, which although not officially on the menu, was still provided nonetheless. Excellent!

There was one issue I had whilst dining. Two exceedingly young costumed Ladies (Winged Fairies no less!), insisted upon using the offset tables of the restaurant area as a make-shift slalom racing course. Their parents and assembled relatives, it was a 'Birthday Bash' as I recollect, were either oblivious or even worse, simply didn't care as to the errant behaviour of their little darlings. Sadly, those staff that were on duty were noticeably silent on the extremely non-silent antics of the daredevil duo. Just what you want after a 13 hour, 350 mile day...Not!

Brekkie.

Having visited many a Premier Inn on business over the last couple of years, I continue to regard their current charge of £9.50 for a cooked breakfast, often buffet style, simply excessive given what's often actually offered. Ah, the financial joy's and benefits of a captive audience!

Anyway, regular moan out of the way, all was pretty much as expected from the buffet offering, apart that is from my poached eggs which were just plain hard (see pics). No doubt being left on the pass for 6 or so minutes after leaving the pot certainly didn't help! The sausage on the other hand was actually very nice for once but again, no grapefruit segments, shame!

It's also worth noting here that the option of 'poached eggs', wasn't initially offered to me as I had to ask my server if they were available when first greeted which, was rather remiss I thought.

Overall, I must like the Premier Inn brand as I choose to stay there so often, at least for business. The near guaranteed cleanliness, on-site eatery and general courtesy of their staff continue to make a strong case to do exactly that in the future. However, I have noticed their prices have been creeping up of late, indeed, I was charged £100.00 for the room plus breakfast, this for a Wednesday with no option to change/cancel the booking should I wish/need to do so.

In which case, I perhaps foresee considerably more net based searches occurring in the future as regards possible accommodation choices, especially within the business market whereby price proves ever more crucial in the decision making process.

As always, happy and safe travelling.

Phil

Room Tip: As far from Reception as is possible.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank London-Phil
Reviewed 13 July 2018 via mobile

We booked 4 nights, the first night (arrival) room had grubby unit by tv and mirror, I used wet wipes to clean. The second day we came back to a room - NOT CLEANED, we went to reception with our towels, bathroom rubbish and room rubbish - we were most polite (after queuing behind 4 families trying to book in) when we reached the front and I explained to the female receptionist - she then waved her hand towards herself “pass it over” (the bathroom rubbish bag) lovely handing a bag with my sanitary products over in front of other people. My partner asked where he should put the room rubbish bag “the bin is outside round the corner”...... lovely - he walked outside and put the rubbish out! We explained the room hadn’t been cleaned, or hoovered, and no towels (she fetched four towels and handed them over to me)...... with the reply “well they are really busy we’re fully booked”. (Personally love I don’t care - I just want what we paid for upfront)....... returned to a non hoovered room, and spookily the card in the light slot had disappeared! We were given a “blank one” by the receptionist “ere take this”.... lovely. Day three we returned to a non hoovered room, bathroom not cleaned, and a set of towels on the bed...... for a different angle - no mugs in the room. Each evening we approached reception who said they would “make a note and pass it on”....... tonight we return, room still not hoovered. Throughout our stay the main corridor wasn’t hoovered. I cleaned the unit in front of he tv and mirror with wet wipes as not cleaned from previous occupants. Have emailed customer complaints.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank zipper73
WhitbreadHotels, Guest Relations at Premier Inn Helston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2018

Hi,

Thanks for your review.

I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your experience staying with us as it was not up to the standards you were expecting. We aim to ensure every stay is perfect and so I apologise we let you down on this occasion.

It is disappointing to hear that the cleanliness of your room was not up to the standard we would expect. Our House Keeping team complete a full service before every check-in and so should be fresh and clean when you arrive.

When staying for a longer period of time, a light clean is completed each day (i.e. bed made, bin emptied, tea/coffee refilled). It isn't until your fifth day that the room will be hoover and the bedding changed.

This being said, your bins should have been emptied and the towels should have been changed had they have been left in the bath/shower so we apologise this was not completed.

Please be assured I've passed your feedback on to the Manager of the hotel to look into with our House Keeping team to ensure our high standards are constantly being met and your experience is not repeated.

Thank you for bringing this to the attention of our Reception team. I am very sorry you found the service received from our Reception team to be disappointing and unhelpful. This certainly doesn't sound right so we have ensured this is flagged to the Hotel Manager to address with the team.

Once again I apologise for the disappointment caused and hope to welcome you to one of our other hotels again in the future.

Kind regards,

Rebecca

Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for 5 nights, very quiet and the air conditioning was brilliant as the weather was extremely hot.
The room was large and very well presented. Excellent for visiting The Lizard area . The staff on the desk were very helpful , no trouble issuing more tea bags and milk. Will be back again soon

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank janedB9169FK
Reviewed 9 July 2018

Apart from the slightly slow check in l have much praise for this Premier Inn. The air con was a boon as the heatwave was in full swing. I was lucky to get a room on the side with a view which made my stay even better. Great location for touring the area and the nearest seaside place Porthleven is really nice.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with premierinn.com
1  Thank Lynne D