“Very enjoyable evening”

Dining with Distinction
Ranked #1 of 486 Restaurants in Bury
Price range: US$31 - US$95
Description: Step on board our traditional Pullman style carriages and be transported back in time to an age where to dine by train, was the height of sophistication. Enjoy first class service and fine dining behind one of our historic steam engines whilst journeying through the charming Lancashire countryside soaking up the picturesque panoramas as you go. With a range of options from a silver service four course gastronomic delight to a quintessentially British Afternoon Tea, there is something for every appetite and occasion. Reservations are required for the Dining with Distinction train services. Ticket price includes rail fare, sparkling reception on board and food.
Reviewed 4 June 2018 via mobile

I bought this as a wedding anniversary present for my husband. We were pleasantly surprised how much we both enjoyed it. Arriving at the station and finding our table went smoothly. I ordered a bottle of Prosecco upfront which was waiting for us at our table (nicely chilled) You also get a complimentary glass of fizz on arrival to your table which is a nice touch. We definitely got the best side of the carriage for the views (right hand side) I would of been disappointed if we sat on the other side as it passed views such as a TNT lorry park and I think what looked like a sewerage plant!!! The staff where extremely attentive and friendly. The food was delicious and served HOT!! and the portion sizes where excellent (was expecting ala carte sized portions) The chef came out towards the evening and spoke to everyone which was nice to see. Overall we had a great experience and thoroughly enjoyed it. Would recommend it for any special occasion.

1  Thank MissS2009
ELR-Dining-Manager, Manager at Dining with Distinction, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2018

MissS2009

Thank you for your review.

I am glad you enjoyed your experience on board with us and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 4 June 2018

Unfortunately our culinary experience was not the same as it seems others have had. We were really very excited about this and it was a bit of a let down. The train made a few long stops outside lorry parks with no scenery to enjoy and the main course of the lunch which was Parmesan chicken breat was very dry and not flavoursome at all and not really what I would have expected from the Lancastrian lunch. The train itself was beautiful and the service was fantastic, we enjoyed our afternoon but for the price (and from other reviews) it seems we just got unlucky on the day.

teddysmum82

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry you were disappointed with your visit. We do stop at Heywood station for the engine to detatch and run around. Opposite this is a lorry park which was built after the line was laid and unfortunately we have no control over. As I am aware, this is the only Lorry park we have to stop outside as the journey from Heywood to Rawtenstall is then non stop.
I wasnt made aware by the catering staff or bar staff about any issues on the day regarding meals and on this visit we were awarded a certificate of excellence from two local food critics for our food and service and also received fantastic customer feed back on the day.

I do hope this wont deter you from a future visit.

Reviewed 22 May 2018

We were booked on this train as a gift from my son and partner. This is one journey and lunch I was looking forward to. The food was amazing , we had the lamb shank served with assorted veg roast and mashed potatoes. The service and staff on board could not do enough for us,very attentive filling our glass up when needed. The Train is very comfortable however it was a bit warm on board. We passed through lovely countryside and it seemed to go quite quickly. I think this is one of the best day out for lunch I have had , if you decide to try it I don't think you would be let down. Check the dates as there are different menu's to choose from. A great dining experience.

1  Thank margaretpickard55

margaretpickard55

Thank you for your detailed and kind review.

Reviewed 20 May 2018

just been on todays 1245 hrs train with gift vouchers biught by family. we have had so much fun. time went by so fast with beautiful scenery and can i say the lamb shank was massive and absoulety lovely. a day to remember. cant wait to go again. thank you ELR.

1  Thank robert b

robert b

Reviewed 16 May 2018

We enjoyed the 'mid-week luncheon'' travelling along the East Lancashire Railway from Bury to Rawtenstall. Beautiful views a lovely experience had by all.

mairpryce