“Never disappointed, always welcomed”
Review of The Church Inn

The Church Inn
Ranked #45 of 415 Restaurants in Bury
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: This well known 17th century Inn underwent an extensive refurbishment throughout the whole of the building in summer 2009, whilst trying to maintain its traditional feel and character. We aim to offer fine food and wine along with excellent service in the relaxed atmosphere of our dining room as well as a private dining function room. All meals will be prepared to the exacting standards of the highly experienced team of chefs using the best quality fresh and wherever possible local produce. You will receive a warm welcome in our relaxed bar area where you can enjoy our selection of bar snacks and a choice from our main menu in the bar, and the main menu in the restaurant at lunch time and evening.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Ah! The Church holds a special place in my heart as it is where, over the past few years, I have enjoyed fine food and conversation with an old school- chum for whom it is his local:- and how lucky he is, having this place on his doorstep! We always meet at lunch- time, but have full access to both bar and restaurant menus. The location is idyllic and the decor olde- world- cum- coaching Inn. When appropriate, there is always a real fire roaring away. The human welcome is always as warm, too. I am a deeply- conservative fellow and usually plump for the same starter on the menu:- an absolutely mouth-watering concoction consisting of a hash- brown, with a black- pudding atop, itself topped by a poached egg, the whole drizzled in a divine sauce. Today, I followed this by a very tasty peppered chicken, with chunky chips, broccoli and a mix of swede and turnip. Delicious! My old friend today had a pate starter followed by the=haddock and chips, which he avowed was the best he had ever tasted- and he knows what he likes! There is a wide choice of drinks at the bar, though my joy would be complete if Mein Host could lay- in some Polish vodka.
I eagerly await my next link- up with both friend and food at the Church!

1  Thank Nigel J

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Visited a few times, food and service wonderful. Nice quiet peaceful pub/restaurant with friendly staff. Looking forward to next visit. Highly recommended. One of the best places to eat out in Bury.

Reviewed 12 April 2018

In the last few weeks we have been here for both a weekday lunch, Sunday lunch and even for a dessert as I really wanted to try the lemon posset. The staff are so friendly and welcoming, and the atmosphere is great. We love to sit in the little corner by the fire, as this area is normally a little quieter than the main restaurant bit, and it has such a lovely comfortable feel to it. And the food....well, it is so tasty.
I had a small roast dinner the other week and it was gorgeous, Never would I normally order roast lamb, but it was tender and juicy and the minted gravy was delicious. And the best thing about the food is that is is always accompanied by the most wonderful carrot and swede mash, which my boyfriend also adores. In fact, he said that it is really nice to be able to eat everything on the plate, as he isn't a fan of some veg. We have had the cajun chicken and poached pears too, and they are also excellent.
We will be back very, very soon to sample more yummy food-I think the fish pie is definitely on the 'to eat' list!
5 stars all round.

2  Thank Lucy H
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

I have very mixed reviews about The Church Inn

When myself and my parter visit it is always an enjoyable visit
The fire is always roaring and the place always has a good mix of local people

The service is great, the team are always welcoming and friendly

The menu is a bit bizarre
One part of the bar has a menu available which is reduced in price to the other menu which is served in which I suppose is the restaurant part of the venue
However both menus are available in the bar area
So you can have a cheese and onion pie for one of two prices which I find a little crazy

From a business point of view the church inn really needs a new lease of life and some TLC

The food is ok but nothing short of what you could do yourself at home
The menu is dated and over priced for what you are getting
You can get much better quality food for much better value else where
Even from independents where you would expect to pay a little more due to less buying power

It is difficult to review as location is fabulous over looking country greens for miles
The people are amazing and welcoming
It really just needs some TLC and it could be 100% a 5

Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

A nice old pub in a lovely setting. Roaring welcoming fires. Such a shame about the food. I started with garlic mushrooms. Which told me a lot about the capabilities of the cook. A piece of what appeared to be cheap white bread with the crusts cut off, a few button mushrooms topped with a dusting of cheese and for the price absolutely awful. The cheese and onion pie was good just such a shame it was accompanied by frozen chips deep fried and full of oil. I think the cook needs to eat out more to see what others are offering for the same price. And for them to still be serving a 1990s style prawn cocktail either continues to tell you about the cook or dare I say the customer. Won't be returning, but for some I'm sure they will love it.