“Welcoming real fires”
Review of The Church Inn

The Church Inn
Ranked #47 of 420 Restaurants in Bury
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: This well known 17th century Inn underwent an extensive refurbishment throughout the whole of the building in summer 2009, whilst trying to maintain its traditional feel and character. We aim to offer fine food and wine along with excellent service in the relaxed atmosphere of our dining room as well as a private dining function room. All meals will be prepared to the exacting standards of the highly experienced team of chefs using the best quality fresh and wherever possible local produce. You will receive a warm welcome in our relaxed bar area where you can enjoy our selection of bar snacks and a choice from our main menu in the bar, and the main menu in the restaurant at lunch time and evening.
Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

A nice old pub in a lovely setting. Roaring welcoming fires. Such a shame about the food. I started with garlic mushrooms. Which told me a lot about the capabilities of the cook. A piece of what appeared to be cheap white bread with the crusts cut off, a few button mushrooms topped with a dusting of cheese and for the price absolutely awful. The cheese and onion pie was good just such a shame it was accompanied by frozen chips deep fried and full of oil. I think the cook needs to eat out more to see what others are offering for the same price. And for them to still be serving a 1990s style prawn cocktail either continues to tell you about the cook or dare I say the customer. Won't be returning, but for some I'm sure they will love it.

Reviewed 24 March 2018

I have been many times before to this lovely country pub but not for a while 6 of us had lunch the service was great the meals we ordered sirloin burger,fish and chips,peppered chicken,cheese and onion pie were really tasty also the price is reasonable.Worth visiting even if its just for a drink in front of the roaring fire.

Reviewed 12 March 2018

A friend and I went for lunch. Very inviting on a cold day with 2 log fires. Good choice on the menu. Food was nicely presented and hot. Didn’t have a desert but they sounded delicious. Staff very friendly.

1  Thank Wiscasset
Reviewed 24 February 2018

In spite of lots of other reviews still purporting to have had wonderful gastronomic experiences in The Church Inn, I now have to disagree, I'm afraid. On the menu (which doesn't seem to have changed for 10 years?) there's a limited vegetarian option, so it's always the cheese and onion pie for me. Unfortunately, last night's offering had a crust that most of the elderly customers in the place (and I now have to include myself in that demographic) would have struggled to get their teeth through and chips that were at least quadruple-fried, judging by their texture and oil content. Perhaps back-stage turmoil amidst any impending sale of the business is having an effect? Birtle needs pubs with good-value, quality food and ales plus a friendly welcoming atmosphere. That used to be The Church Inn.

Reviewed 31 December 2017 via mobile

As always lovely venue, lovely food and great service. Our family from 4 years to 71 love it. Thank you so much for a lovely evening.

1  Thank Sue N