“Good location and good food”
Review of The Lamb

The Lamb
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Hindon
Price range: US$12 - US$32
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Our fantastic team of chefs are taking the food at The Lamb to the next level. We offer beautifully cooked seasonal dishes throughout the day, including breakfast, lunch and dinner. With a menu full of freshly prepared works of art using some locally sourced produce you will not find a better offering in the area. Our produce is delivered daily, our fish comes from M & J seafood and our meat is sourced from around the UK from Solent butchers. The Lamb smoke their own fish, bake their own bread and make their own pasta. From delicious traditional British meals to a handful of dishes from different origins you are sure to find a dish to suit all tastes and appetite. Our delightfully lighter menu option in the bar area includes a sandwiches selection and boards during the day and home-made bar snacks with scrumptious scotch eggs and sausage rolls to have with a pint of Youngs or glass of wine. We serve food in our dining room and bar,we can accommodate whatever occasion you would like to share with us. Small social gatherings, business lunches or family feasts. But who needs an excuse to treat yourself, just drop by and simply enjoy a relaxing evening and let us make any day a special occasion. We have 2 private dining rooms The Meddling Pike which has its own bar and can seat up to 12 people and The Wylye Duck has its own private terrace and can accommodate up to 45 for a buffet and 30 people seated. Sunday's are something we like to shout about and our Sunday roasts are highly popular with locals and families. So please ensure you book in advance. We offer Children's meals including Sunday roasts the little ones can join in the Sunday fun.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed here for one night on Travelzoo deal including dinner. Attractive looking pub with small parking area at rear. We had room 5. Reasonable size but quite a lot of large, dark furniture which to me made it feel cluttered. Others might think it cosy. Bottom of the window opaque presumably for privacy and as there is no view but this added to enclosed feel. Plenty of tea, coffee biscuits etc. Shower room open and spacious with plenty of room for your things. There were no toiletries in our room apart from handwash by basin. Not sure if this was just a one off as room information indicates toiletries are provided. Luckily I always travel with some. Nice to have window in shower room but I was surprised that there was no lock or restraint on it as sill was low and I would be concerned for safety of children. We found the noise of the air conditioning in our room quite intrusive and we had to turn it off to sleep. We were given a table by the window for dinner. Restaurant split into several areas so did not feel
crowded and there was good space between tables. Food was very good and service pleasant. Breakfast the next morning was good. As others have commented, bacon was well done. I assume it is intended to be crispy. Perhaps menu should explain this to avoid disappointment for those who like it less done. Service was not fast. Not a problem for us as we are happy to have a relaxed start to the day. Might be a problem if you had somewhere you needed to be. Pub is in good location in centre of village. Maps in room with plenty of walks.

lambhindon, Front Office Manager at The Lamb, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Dear Rolin22, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and I have passed on your comments to the housekeeping department with regards to you having no toiletries in the room and the window in bathroom. I have also spoken to the kitchen with regards to the bacon.
I do hope that you will come back and stay with us again.

Reviewed 8 April 2018

Things didn't start off well when they had lost our reservation - made weeks before, something that was important given my dad is in a wheelchair and we had chosen the restaurant specifically because it said it was wheelchair accessible.

We were eventually seated at a table - away from the atmosphere of the restaurant itself.
The biggest issue was that the table was at the opposite end of the restaurant to the disabled toilet - meaning if my dad wanted to use the facilities he needed to be wheeled out of the restaurant and down the road to the other entrance (across gravel) before he could do so.

All of this meant my mum was stressed about everything rather than simply enjoying the meal (an 80th birthday treat after a difficult 11 months in hospital).

The food - some menu items were out of stock and some just didn't taste as good as we expected given the reputation. The kids fish & chips portion was huge - bigger than the adults!

The service - slow, took an age for plates to be cleared afterwards as well.

I think the food and reputation were good enough to go again but I think we'd want confirmation that the reservation had been made - a text or something to confirm?

lambhindon, Front Office Manager at The Lamb, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2018

Dear Guest,

Please accept our apologies that the table that you were given was not near to the wheelchair accessible facilities.I have passed on your comments to the front of house team and kitchen with regards to the service.
I do hope that you will come back and visit us again and we will ensure that we book you a suitable table.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

We booked to go to the pub the Saturday before Easter. It was awful, we had a restaurant booking. After 10mins of waiting ,and the waiter walking past us multiple times, we are showed to our table minus any menu or requests for drinks. After 10mins and no attention I got up to get the menu from the side. After another 5mins no one had returned to the table to take our order, my dad gave up and went to the bar to order a bottle of wine with 3 glasses for the waiter to arrive back with 3 glasses of 175ml wine rather than the bottle. On taking the order the waiter didn’t mention any specials. My mums order was out of stock so she had to deliberate after I spotted the specials on the board. On ordering, the food came timely and we ordered another bottle of wine...all well served. The fish and “chips”, fish was too greasy and chips were more crap potato off cuts. The bbq lamb burger didn’t have any consistency of a burger and was more a mush that couldn’t even be picked up in the burger bun! After finishing, it was a while before the plates were cleared and we were asked if we wanted to look at desserts. We said yes, the Menu was produced however no-one came within 10mins to take our order. We gave up and went home. We have previously been here on a Sunday for a roast when they run out of mustard, horseradish and apple sauce....embarrassingly as a villager I nipped home to get the condiments. The experience was awful and I would not recommend it. Such a shame the Angel has closed but the lamb hasn’t bucked up its ideas! Please sort it out!!

1  Thank Clairemaggy
Matthew W, General Manager at The Lamb, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Dear Clairemaggy,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and I am disappointed that you had such poor service on your recent visit with us.
I would be grateful if you would contact me directly so that I can investigate this further.

Reviewed 12 March 2018

Table of 5 to celebrate mother’s day and birthday. There was a good choice of food and we were advised to order lamb shank as they were selling out fast. The mash potatoes and wine sauce that came with some of the meals was very over seasoned with salt. The staff were pleasant but seemed a little stretched at times.

lambhindon, Front Office Manager at The Lamb, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2018

Dear Dawn M,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I am extremely pleased to hear you enjoyed your Mothers Day/Birthday with us.
I will pass on your comments to the kitchen with regards to the salt.

Reviewed 7 March 2018

New menu delivered some nice surprises and excellent value for money. It was a day of comfort food for us, sausage and mash for me and liver for my partner the liver was slightly over cooked sadly but no doubt that is because of new rules or regulations from the FSA. The whole menu seems well priced and service was excellent and you sit in a wonderful surroundings so worth a visit in my opinion

Dear 427500,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback of our new menu. I am delighted that you enjoyed our hospitality and hopefully look forward to welcoming you back soon.