“Innovative tastes - but beware the cinema seating...”

The Dining Room at Whatley Manor
Price range: US$115 - US$157
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Showcasing the exceptional. The Dining Room holds one Michelin star and Ricki Weston's menus showcase his skills matched to seasonal produce, using finest British ingredients and some interesting traditional cooking techniques, all of which complement Whatley Manor's sustainability goals. Dinner bookable 18.00 – 21.00 Thursday to Sunday. Please arrive at your booked time and you will be seated in the restaurant 30 minutes after. £175 includes chefs menu.
Reviewed 25 February 2013

The admin staff had bent over backwards to roll forward our booking of a previous month's CineClub offering - where you pay the "number of steps" for movie, meal and popcorn. We never got to see Salmon Fishing in January - and unfortunately were subjected to Midnight in Paris. Fortunately Woody Allen makes short movies. Unfortunately with minimal tiering to the 35 odd seat cinema - if you are little (like SuperWife) and arrive late (like us) you dont get to see much. Fortunately we had "upgraded" to the Michelin star restaurant - rather than the Harvester-esque Brasserie (although 3 courses for under 30 is not to be sniffed at). I digress.
We did the right thing.
The previous Saturday we lunched at Le Manoir for SuperWife's birthday. We found that to be agreed "best dining" from that which we have collectively enjoyed in the UK.
This ran Mr Blanc close. In fact the second half of our a la carte experience I thought to be better in all regards than the apple pastry cheese and millionaires' shortbread of 4 Seasons.
I'll comment a bit on my handful of snaps - and let Hazel give you the full detail.
After getting past truffle, cucumber, wasabi and raw root veg - 4 of my top 5 detests - the rest was a memorable set of matchups, joyously well presented, beautifully delivered to table by the fabulous waiting team, and superb tastes.
My highlights were...
the olive oil icecream (wow, complete with "prickle" on the way down)
the second pre-desert (pear then mint then way after, liquorice. REALLY works.
my veal and hazelnuts main - with every flavour re-raising the plate at each mouthful)
and the fact my wife enjoyed it as much as she did.

Service was added to the bill without being asked - which was a shame.
But that and the bread apart (which could have had fuller flavours)...
I would rate WM in my top 5 UK establishments (you can work out the others from my reviews).

I would definitely go back. And would expect to be suprised again. Edame beans always suprise me! i really shouldn't like them.

A footnote: the chap who gave this one star, having paid a bit more than a score for a bistro experience - AND - having scored 4,4,1,1 on the 4 categories (which my friend averages 3 not 1) - should be ignored. If you want to enjoy the full range of a kitchen working beautifully, go.
My wife will have counted - but going a la carte we must have had 8 or 10 things over the 2 hours. Which at under eighty pounds is terrific value.

If you don't go because of a failed fondue - you'll be the one to miss out.

Summary: a bit of a trek for us (4 hour round trip) but food this good is worth it.

Date of visit: February 2013
Write a reviewReviews (385)

Reviewed 8 February 2013

I was taken to Whatley Manor for my birthday. It is a beautiful, stylish manor house with the highest quality furnishings and ambience, plus 2 Michelin Stars. The dining room was quiet and charming. We agreed that this was one of the best meals we have had, and we have been lucky to dine at some very good places. Exceptional quality ingredients and cooking putting flavours together to take you to heaven. The foie gras starter was easily the best we have tasted. Service was discreet and we were never hurried. We started with a delicious glass of Bollinger and our Chablis 1er Cru was stunning. This is a place not to be missed. We would have stayed the night if they had room. It gets booked up, I'm not surprised.

Date of visit: February 2013
Reviewed 2 February 2013

We recently spent the afternoon at Whatley manor, having afternoon tea, watching a movie in their private cinema, then eating in the Dining room restaurant.
We had a wonderful time, all the staff were very professional, and a real credit to the manor and themselves. The waiters in the restaurant really knew there stuff too. I'm diabetic, the chefs went out of their way to produce a brilliant sugar free desert for me to enjoy. Their attention to detail is a real treat.
Yes, I agree that drinks were expensive - £2.50 for a glass of coke, but you only do this occasionally. And there was free popcorn at the movie!
Highly recommended, we will be back soon.

Date of visit: January 2013
Reviewed 19 January 2013

I recently bought my husband the 7 course tasting meal with the wine experience for his birthday. It was 3 hours of complete indulgence. The waiters, waitresses and the sommelier were superb with great knowledge of the food and wine offered. The food was beautifully presented and gorgeous.

The hotel's grounds look stunning, even though we only saw the front of the hotel but would love to go back and see it in the daylight.

We'll definitely return and try the a la carte menu next time.

Date of visit: January 2013
Reviewed 3 January 2013

I was taken for my birthday and it was a wonderful treat. I thought the food and service was second to none. It is expensive but it does have Michelin star status. The drinks are also expensive and these are not Michelin-starred. I think it was a little lacking in atmosphere, however perhaps that could be due to the fact it was a Thursday night. We made atmosphere of our own! All said I would love to return for another special event in the future.

Date of visit: December 2012