“First visit..... we'll be back!”
Review of The Lansdowne Arms

Ranked #8 of 38 Restaurants in Calne
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Sarah, Matt & the team would like to welcome you to The Lansdowne Arms. Located in the picturesque village of Derry Hill, on the doorstep of Bowood grounds, we are blessed with magnificent views, three large gardens, a children's play area to enjoy in the summer and open fires & wood burners to warm up the colder months. The Lansdowne Arms is a great setting for an after walk coffee (yes, we are dog friendly!), a spot of lunch or dinner with friends and family. Our menu has all the classics plus some exciting new creations from our kitchen team, with changing specials.
Reviewed 3 May 2018 via mobile

We've driven by The Lansdowne Arms numerous times over the years and it always looks like a splendid building from the outside. Finally we had a chance to visit and we're so glad we did. The inside is just as impressive as the outside, very nicely decorated, spacious and a lovely smell of an open log fire. We had some drinks, a starter and 2 main courses. All were excellent and great service from a lovely couple, who were very attentive and brought drinks orders and took food orders at the table. Overall a lovely visit and this will now be on our list of favourite pubs to visit in the local area. Well done, we'll be back for sure!

1  Thank BarrackObama2

Reviewed 1 May 2018 via mobile

I recently ate at the Lansdowne for Sunday lunch and thoroughly enjoyed my pork ciabatta. Only downfall of the visit was the very extensive gin menu they had on show, that looked incredible, was only covered with 2 or 3 gins ... little tip, take the menu away if they aren’t all on offer.

1  Thank Sam D
TheLansdowneArms, Manager at The Lansdowne Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2018

Dear Sam D

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to the Lansdowne Arms. I'm glad to here that you enjoyed you lunch.
I apologise if you have felt mislead by our Gin Menu that we have advertised through out the pub.

The Gin Menu that we have printed is a generic Gin menu that is published for all of the Wadworth managed houses, unfortunately we are unable to stock every single Gin at the same time that is listed, firstly this is due to the space behind the bar is limited & secondly we are having difficulties with our wine & spirits supplier in sourcing all of the products that we list leaving us with limited stock. Our menu does state "subject to availability" on them for these reasons.

I can only apologise for the confusion, and hope that this has not deterred you from visiting us again. A little heads up we will soon be launching our New Gin & Cocktail Menu later this month.

Reviewed 23 April 2018 via mobile

We normally always eat at the Pheasant Carvery, but I'd got fed up with that place so we booked here instead. This is far more relaxed and the food a good deal better, but you pay more of course.

It was quite quiet when we went, especially for a Sunday lunchtime, which we were surprised at. There didn't seem to be an obvious reason part from the location.

I'd go again.

1  Thank Floyd M

Dear Floyd M

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to The Lansdowne Arms. I'm glad to here that you enjoyed your visit to us and that the food offerings where to your liking.

The Pheasant is a sister pub of ours, but as is clear we both offer different styles of food and service.

We do always advise that people book for our Sunday lunch especially between 12 & 4 as this is usually the most popular times. However on the rare occasion we have a slow weekend, I'm not sure why but thankfully its not often.

We look forward to seeing you again at The Lansdowne Arms.

Many Thanks

Reviewed 23 April 2018

Had dinner here after a long day househunting. Friendly staff and two very nice burgers with the largest crispy onion rings I have ever seen! Nice pint of 6x and a good Malbec to wash it down. Stunning building with views down the valley. Pretty little village location right next to the stunning Bowood estate.

Reviewed 29 March 2018

We took some friends here on their recommendation and had a lovely lunch. It's a lovely building and full of character inside. On a chilly March day, you could smell the wood fire as you walked in. The menu has plenty of choice although on the day we went they didn't have any home made soup, red mullet or risotto. As the latter two were going to be the choices of two of our party, this made choosing a little more difficult but in the end we all opted for the beer battered fish and chips, 3 small portions and 1 large. The small portions are fine for a lunch, particularly if you are considering having a pud. However, if you have a large appetite, the small portion won't satisfy it. The batter and fish were delicious and came served with the usual chips, tartare sauce, mushy peas and a slice of lemon. We followed up with 4 different puds, which were all pronounced delicious. The 4 rating rather than a 5 was simply because they didn't have the full menu available but I wasn't disappointed with my selection anyway.

TheLansdowneArms, General Manager at The Lansdowne Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2018

Dear Daisy21Duke

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to The Lansdowne Arms. Its great to hear that you enjoyed your lunch and time spent with us and I can only apologise for the limitations of our menu.

We are currently in the process of changing from out Winter menu to our spring menu which launched today (Friday) with new and exciting freshly cooked dishes, leaving our chefs with the mammoth task of trying to prepare a new menu whilst still trying to make sure we have items on our old menu available.
The Red Mullet dish is coming off our menu as we have had great difficulty in sourcing this from our suppliers in the last couple of weeks. The soup, I have to be honest with you, whilst I was making the soup I was called away and forgot about it leaving it to burn and spoil :( I would not want to serve something that isn't 100% right and to the quality that we produce.

I do hope that this has not deterred you from visiting us again.

Many Thanks