“Awe Inspiring Treasure of Prehistoric Times....Holy Place But Don't Miss the Rock Cakes!”
Review of Stonehenge

Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Amesbury
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: One of the most important survivals of prehistoric England, Stonehenge consists of a group of huge rough-cut stones, some more than 20 feet high, arranged in two concentric circles.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We had our driver from the cruise port in Southampton wait for us for 2 1/2 hours while we toured Stonehenge. Beautiful day, cool and a little windy, and was fairly crowded but somehow that didn't seem to matter. The setting of the stones, with people walking on the path around them, and large fields of sheep all around was unmatched....very moving to be there and we hated to leave it. We didn't go through the museum as we wanted all of our time there at the site but then stopped in at the cafe for a bite....do not miss the Rock Cakes....scone like but much more than that and really a meal in itself.

Write a ReviewReviews (12,439)
All reviews
in 123 reviews
"free entry"
in 93 reviews

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Visiting Stonehenge has been on my to do list for sometime as only ever saw the stones from the 303 on passing.
On arrival at the visitor centre car park couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw the visitor centre building!! I’m sorry but it’s a blot on the landscape.
There should be no problems with the proposed tunnel for the A303 bearing in mind the above building is above ground.
Seeing the stones up close is pretty amazing though and regular buses seemed to cope well with the number of visitors and seemed a pretty smoothly run system.
Returned back to the said building and found it a little to modernistic but I guess everyone is different.
The actual displays were ok but due to visitors milling about not sure if the layout was right.
I did enjoy my visit and glad to have gone but just came away a little disappointed.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

It was cold and rainy and WINDY, but I am still glad I went. It is smaller than I thought. The lines are long if you come with a tour. We ( I amd my 7 y/o daughter) walked from teh tour buses in the rain and made it to Stone henge much quicker that those taking the shuttle bus. Come prepared for the weather. It seemed no one had a rain coat despite forecasts of rain all day.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was my second trip to the “Stones” and it is still awe inspiring. It is so incredibly hard to fathom how they built this structure with the tools of the time and the distances traveled. I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to see a bit of history that you must see to appreciate. You truly cannot understand until you have been there and seen the scope of what was built and not be awe-struck.
As always with my reviews, please don’t hesitate to reach out with questions. It you found this review helpful, please be sure to hit the button for that.