“Sibling Reunion”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Kitty Hawk, North Carolina
“Sibling Reunion”
Reviewed 28 October 2014 for a stay in October 2014
people found this review helpful

Seven siblings and spouses stayed at Laurel View Retreat for our annual fall reunion. It was wonderful that we each had our own room and no one was in a sleeping bag, on the couch or on a blow-up mattress. We found the property in wonderful condition when we arrived...clean and well provisioned. Possibly after reading some past reviews, the owners/management upgraded the kitchenware as we had no problem finding enough pots, pans and tableware to suit our needs. Where does one begin to describe the features of this home? I guess the view is probably the real jaw-dropper. You have to see it to believe it. We had planned on eating out on Saturday night at a local restaurant but decided as we were only there for a weekend to stay and enjoy the house and reheat Friday night's leftovers...if people are willing to eat leftovers to stay on site, that kind of says it all. We roasted marshmallows over the fire pit and enjoyed the smell of a wood fire and sitting around swapping stories and telling lies:-) There was not a bad bedroom in the house...comfortable beds and nice bedding. The only suggestion I would make is that if you like to read in bed bring along a small reading lamp. Most rooms have lamps next to the bed, but not all. I've stayed in rental properties before with hot tubs and 50% of the time the hot tubs are not in perfect operating order. This hot tub was large and in perfect operating order with an outstanding view. The furniture in the living area was extremely comfortable and just about everything reclined! Made for comfortable seats to watch the Penn State/Ohio State game on Saturday night...wish it could have "cushioned" Penn State's loss. There is so much to do in the area that we couldn't do it all. But we enjoyed lunch Friday at The Summit Inn (outstanding crab cakes) and went back to The Summit on Sunday for a tour of their Treehouse which was filmed for a TV series about treehouses...Jeremiah gave an outstanding tour of the treehouse filling us in on the filming of the TV show and giving us some history of the building of the historic Summit Inn and the plans for its future. Husbands golfed on Saturday and wives shopped...the weather cooperated for our weekend and the leaves put on their usual gorgeous fall show. Several of us especially enjoyed the shower on the lower level of the house with its rainfall ceiling feature and the multiple jets...it even has an alarm you can hit if you've "fallen and can't get up"!! We will definitely be back!

Liked best: The View
Liked least: Could use reading lamps next to some beds
Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
Jonathan...
Hershey, Pennsylvania, United States
“Lacking Customer Service & Management”
Reviewed 2 August 2014 for a stay in July 2014
people found this review helpful

I was really looking forward to a nice relaxing family getaway and was extremely disappointed.

I booked this property late last year for 8 nights for myself, 11 additional guests and a dog. I spoke with Jordan who was extremely nice, answered all my questions and sent out a contract right away.

About a month out, I received a call to update my credit card information, and upon calling back I confirmed all the final details. About 2 weeks out, I received the check-in documents. I noticed some discrepancies with the check-in documents, so I attempted to call numerous times, with no answer. I finally reached Jordan and she asked me to call back that Saturday. Called Saturday, and no answer. I emailed and received a response quickly answering all of my questions.

Upon arriving, I checked out the exterior of the property and noticed it needed some serious TLC. Trash in the woods, broken bottles/trash in the fire pit, broken furniture, cigarette butts, and the pool was missing about a foot of water.

Once we accessed the interior, through a door that was hanging wide open; I was impressed on how clean it was. I was expecting it to be a disaster, since the exterior was so bad. Again, the interior needs some TLC. Broken shower heads, water stains on the ceiling, holes and scratches on the wall, and broken furniture, but it was clean. Well, except for the 12 bags of trash that was left by the previous tenant. More on that later.
We immediately called the management company and after explaining all the issues, Jordan's main concern was the house being clean.? Yes it is clean, but what about everything else? After 3 disconnected phone calls with her, we left one final message and never heard back. We could have kept calling, but we handled the issues ourselves.
If you are thinking of using the Wi-Fi, forget about it. It is slower than dial-up and I had a better cell reception.

The "game room" was great for the kids, but I can't see any adults enjoying themselves. The pool table was falling apart and the air hockey table is from the 90's.

I spent my first 2 days trying to get enough water in the pool, so we could run the pump and filter. Please remember, this house is on well water, so it was a constant add water to the pool, shut it off so we can shower and clean, back and forth for 2 days. Once the pool was filled, we were able to enjoy it. The liner must have a serious leak, because it needed filled on a daily basis. Not to worry though, a tanker finally came out 7 days later to fill it. We also managed the PH levels ourselves as well. Luckily we have some pool experience, or our kids would have been disappointed on a daily basis. Nothing like looking at a pool that you cannot swim in.

The hot tub was excellent. The rooms were all very nice, with clean linens. The AC worked well, along with all the other major appliances, such as the stove/oven, refrigerator, washer/dryer and microwave. The Direct TV worked great and both of the monitors worked as expected.

What about the 12 bags of trash? Someone from the management company picked them up 6 days later. Luckily it was in a room off the laundry, but the smell of rotting trash could be smelled throughout the basement. We had no where to put it, because animals would tear it to pieces if it was outside.

If you decide to rent from this company, bring some cleaning supplies. At the very least, a broom would have been nice to have. We ended up buying a vacuum.

After returning home, I received my bank statement and see an additional charge. I email and receive a response immediately from Jordan explaining that was for the dog. When we negotiated the rate, I made sure the dog was included in the rate. I will dispute the charge and see what happens.

This area is beautiful with a lot of fun activities for families. It is unfortunate that this management company was unable to meet the expectations that this area deserves.

Liked best: The location
Liked least: Pool, trash left in house, and customer service from management company.
Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
316Mark
Westminster, Maryland
“Loved It - Would Rent it Again”
Reviewed 4 July 2014 for a stay in June 2014
people found this review helpful

Laurel View was a wonderful experience for our family. It was large enough for 10 adults and 7 kids. We could share life under one roof, but find privacy when needed. The views, the pool, the space provided made for a great time.
Our chief complaint was that the internet would on occasion fall out. We eventually found the fix. The modem is in the basement bedroom, behind some shutters. If you have this problem, just find the modem and unplug it for about 15 seconds and then plug it back in. It will reset the modem and you should not have anymore problems for a while. You will have to do this periodically.
The kitchen is well stocked with pots, pans, plates, glasses and cups. However, if you are going to do a large casserole, then bring your own pan. They do provide some cooking utensils but this could be better stocked. If in doubt, bring it.
Overall I would rate this a 4 1/2. So I rounded up to a 5.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The ability to have the entire family under one roof. The views.
Liked least: The internet and the limited TV. No ESPN, thus no World Cup. (We streamed it on the hinky internet.)
Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
PA, United States
Reviewed 22 August 2013 for a stay in August 2013

PA, United States
Reviewed 18 August 2013 for a stay in August 2013
people found this review helpful

Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
No pets
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing