2,390 results
All reviews french press symphony suite chocolate shop turn down service historic hotel room service valet parking rooms are small wonderful hotel heart of downtown the location is perfect pioneer square street noise bed was very comfortable visit portland the pearl few blocks
Reviewed 22 May 2018

Renovations are still continuing though nearly completed. Will look good when eventually finished. At the moment you can't help but feel slightly cheated that you aren't experiencing the whole hotel. We were given one of their refurbished rooms which was bright, well decorated and with the most enormous television screen we've ever seen in a hotel room. One annoyance was that there was no chair, upright or easy or indeed desk so that you could not work or sit other than on the bed. Never been in a hotel room without a chair before and when we pointed this out on checking out was told that 'they were aware of this and were looking to source the appropriate items' - well great but why charge full price for an unfurnished room? Also, if you have booked via a website remember that there are additional charges added by the hotel. We parked in the next road for half the price of the hotels valet parking by the way.

Stayed: May 2018
Reviewed 22 May 2018

I have stayed at the Heathman Hotel, once or twice year for the past four years. Despite a sense a deterioration over this time, I thought I would give it another try for a three night stay 12-15 October. I liked the little chocolate/coffee store downstairs, the drinks in the lobby, the bar/tearoom, the lounge/library/business area. I prepaid for the trip a few weeks before, on the hotel website.
I was shocked, on arrival, to find that i had checked into an active construction zone. No lobby, no chocolate shop, no library/business area. A curtailed bar/check-in/tea-room surrounded by scaffolding and tarpaulins. One working elevator. Dust. The rooms have been remodeled and have the industrial odor of new synthetic carpets and paint.
I questioned the lobby staff as to why was not informed of this situation - at the time of my prepaid booking. They were not able to answer. I requested that management get back to me. They did not. I sent very emails to Hotel managers and PR but no real response.
Even the small gym did not a working bicycle.
One "text" in response to my complaint - suggested I come back when it is all finished. Unlikely.
I really did give the hotel an opportunity to respond. I have waited a week since checking out and have not heard from them.
What I find particularly galling is that there are multiple similarly priced alternative choices all around Portland. If I was going to check into a room without hotel amenities, obviously Airbnb would be preferable.
I truly feel that it was dishonest and cynical on the part of the hotel to rent out a room with out warning during construction.
I do not know how to upload photographs onto this site, or I would. They are not pretty.

Stayed: May 2018
4  Thank rogerew
Reviewed 21 May 2018

I tried the Heathman again, as it was close to the event I was attending. The hotel is in the finishing phase of a remodel, something I think I should have been told when I reserved the room. Was checked into Room 909, clearly designed for ADA accessibility (something I did not need and I was not told this when I checked in). So the room layout was odd. The new decor in the room is 'Kimpton-like.' So, as I indicated in an earlier review, I think it's time to move back to a Kimpton hotel in Portland.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Duck1949
darynw, General Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2018

Duck1949,
Yes, we are excited to be in the finishing phase of the renovation. We will be discussing your comments as we constantly strive for improvement. Your business is important to us and would love to discuss this more, please feel free to call the hotel or email daniel.kahn@heathmanhotel.com

Reviewed 16 May 2018

We had to go to Portland for a meeting, so I thought I'd splurge a little and get a suite at the Heathman. What they don't tell you at Expedia, or on the Heathman's website, is that the hotel is undergoing major construction. There's only one elevator now, lots of boarded up space and noise. Of course the $474 price tag didn't reflect that.

The suite was ok, but certainly not impressive. The only choice of pillow was a really tall synthetic pillow that was quite uncomfortable. The hotel's common areas for some reason were heated to some ungodly, tropical temperature. So I set the thermostat down to 70 degrees. The problem is that the ancient, built-into-the-wall AC unit made such a terrible ruckus, that we chose to be too hot instead. You might think this is a really minor point, but the wine glasses in the suite didn't match at all, so you have to choose who gets the crappy, small, rolled-rim glass, and who gets the nicer one. For $500, I expect more!

Then I decided to valet my car. As if the almost comically high price of $49.50 per night wasn't enough, mysteriously, upon check-out, there was also a facilities fee and related taxes, bringing the total to park for 8 hours to $75.96. Really?? I can park at a 5 star hotel in Manhattan for less! I was not present at checkout, so didn't find out until later. When I texted back the "GM" who texted me to inquire about the stay, and asked about the fee, I got silence. Same with an email. Avoid this hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid this place
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank Boris W

BorisW,
Thank you for staying with us and providing feedback. I would love to discuss your experience in more detail. Please email me at daniel.kahn@heathmanhotel.com

Reviewed 13 May 2018

The hotel nickels and dimes you to death, though the shock comes after check-out. City taxes, state taxes, tourism assessments, Facilities fee (I love that one!). The parking fee is robbery. The bathroom is unbelievably tight -- good luck trying to use the toilet or take a shower. Anytime you call the front desk, expect to be put on hold (it happened EVERY time for me). Way overpriced, mediocre service, and smiley staff that don't really care about customer service.

Room Tip: Bathrooms are cramped; you probably need a large suite if you're claustrophobic
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jimK7957LY

jimK7957LY,
Thank you for staying with us and sharing feedback. We have discussed your feedback and I would love to follow up with you. Please email me at daniel.kahn@heathmanhotel.com so that we may connect.