All reviews hot water across the street the jet express historical hotel modern amenities attached restaurant continental breakfast stay there again off season staff was friendly yogurt very nice stay front desk clerk third floor small room an older hotel this past weekend
Reviewed 16 July 2018

This is a beautifully restored downtown hotel. The location was nice, and within a walk of resturaunts and down town watering holes. Port Clinton is small, so most places in town are within a walk. The bed was semi-comfortable, and the room was clean. We had to run the water for about twenty-minutes before we could get hot water. We payed about $200 for one night. The concerns that we have were with the service. When we walked up from the rear door, we could see the front desk clerk sitting in the rear rear dining room. It appeared she was texting. We also observed her see us. After a few minutes of no service, I rang the front desk bell, and received no response. After a few minutes, I rang the bell again, and received no response. I then went to the back dining room area, and saw the girl jump from the chair she was in, and come up front. She said she was trying to figure out some computer problems. When she got to the front desk, there were computer problems, so she had problems checking us in. She indicated that she did not know how to fix the problem. She finally gave us card keys for our room, and asked us to check in later. This process took about 25-30 minutes. We also had problems checking in later, and then checking out. I'm not sure if this was an isolated incident, or if this is normal. In fairness, all people involved may have been impacted by the computer issues, and the original clerk could have been seeking how to fix it. For a $200 a night room, not what I expected.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank JAJSt_Clair_Mi
Reviewed 16 July 2018

The hotel is a very charming venue and could be something spectacular. The customer service was ok, but not over the top. The room could have been cleaner. There was a dirty cup half full of wine in the window, and a used bar of soap in the shower. I think with a little more TLC, this place could be a great destination.
I had called 3 times before our arrival to inquire about the "romantic get-away".My husband and I were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary. I finally reached someone on the 3rd try. When I explained that no one had returned my calls, I received NO apology. She was less than helpful on the phone. When we arrived and checked in, the young girl (different from the one I spoke with on the phone) was pleasant. I explained that we were celebrating and she said she would let her manager know. 2 days later when we checked out, there was no mention of an apology or our celebration. When we returned home there was a message on our machine from the manager saying she would love to set something up for us and was looking forward to our arrival ???
I am saddened because most of the reviews I read about the Island Inn were very positive. It is my hope that the establishment can find some competent employees and restore this venue to ALL it can be. On a positive note, Jeds is a new bar attached to the Inn that had great service and drinks! Kaitlyn, the young girl who checked us in, was sweet and helpful with places to visit.

Room tip: We had the Al Capone King Corner Suite on the third floor. Great view!
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank milazzom
Reviewed 8 July 2018 via mobile

We checked in and the staff was not nice or polite. They made it clear that their housekeeping staff was short handed and they had to do the extra work. Check in was slow and not welcoming. No wifi once we go to the room. The next day we were out of our room from 9-8 and when w returned we had not received anything maid service. I went to the front desk and the woman told me that I probably left personal items on the bed and since the staff is my allowed, by law, to touch them they couldn’t make the bed. I told her that I had never heard of that law, but it didn’t matter because there was nothing person on the beds. And we had no clean towels. She checked the logs and told me that the room was serviced and checked. I told her she could come see it, but it was not. She told me that there was nothing she could do and did I want clean towels. At this point, with no apology or polite attitude I told her we would check out and not stay out second night. She said fine. Still, no apology. The room was $300/night! Crazy! I understand that things happen, but basic customer service is part of the service industry and there was zero at this hotel. Oh, and the breakfast was a mediocre continental breakfast because there was an “unavoidable problem with the kitchen”. Total disaster. Too expensive even if everything was great - and it wasn’t.

Trip type: Travelled with family
5  Thank BetsyRob
LISA Y, General Manager at The Island House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2018

Dear BetsyRob, Thank you very much for your candid review of your recent stay at our hotel. Please accept my sincerest apology for your sub par experience, it is very upsetting for me to hear that your stay with us was not an enjoyable one. We thank you for you feedback because it is extremely valuable to us as it helps us to improve on each and every stay. I also greatly appreciate your comments about our housekeeping and front desk staff as they help me to better direct and educate our staff on helping our guest. Please reach out to me directly so that we can better discuss your stay and hopefully you will give us a chance to turn your experience around.

Kind regards

Reviewed 3 July 2018

Close to everything downtown. 2 blocks from the Portage River and very close to a park and lighthouse. Jet Express to Put In Island is one block away. Excellent pubs and shops across the street. They were renovating the downstairs area which will make a huge improvement. Bed was awesome, extremely comfortable. Staff were very pleasant. The only drawback was the gull droppings all over the car but hey if you are going to stay that close to Lake Eerie you gotta take it right? Excellent stay thank you.

Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kirk C
Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

If you are looking for a great historical place to stay, this is it. Staff is friendly and rooms are clean. You can easily walk to various restaurants and the Jet Express. Breakfast was very good. Great for that romantic getaway.

Date of stay: May 2018