All reviews alfa travel coach holiday sea view self drive sea front coach driver leisureplex hotels waitress service older generation first floor large bathroom lovely hotel four poster bed bar prices meal times stayed for nights tea and coffee
Reviewed 3 September 2018

The hotel seemed generally very clean and the staff very helpful. Good position
very close to the sea front. There is a small skate board park opposite the hotel (closer to the right hand end of the building as you are looking out of the front) which you can hear being used in the evenings (from room 32), however this only went on late one night. The shower cubicle is quite snug (for a slim built person)! However, room 34A has a longer 'walk in' shower cubicle which looked better. The partition(?) walls are very thin but this only caused a real problem once. I assume the rooms used to be bigger as the single room was small but ok for a few days. The food was generally good although the scrambled eggs seemed to be made from only egg whites. We chatted to a guest who had a room on the first floor directly over the evening bar and dance area. He said it wasn't worth him going to bed before 11.00 pm as he could hear the music, however I couldn't hear it from the second floor at the other end of the building. The entertainment consisted of one person each night with either a guitar, keyboard or just a singer and all used backing tracks. There is a break in the music for 3 games of bingo at 9.30 pm. All in all the hotel is good for a traditional seaside break. The beach is mostly pebbles so not good for building sand castles. I didn't get to explore the high street area properly but there seemed to be a reasonable number and mix of shops. There is a small cafe near the hotel which had a good choice of dairy free milk alternatives for hot drinks. I would stay there again for a weekend if I could have a room with a sea view again and in the quiet end of the building.

Room Tip: Ask to be on second floor, away from the evening bar area. Also another review I read said get a room away from the lift.
Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 September 2018

Have just returned home after a 5 day holiday with ALFA to this hotel .My wife & I took our daughter & grandson & had a very nice holiday.We had room 7 & my daughter & grandson had room16A.Both were very nice rooms,both very clean & both had very good showers.The food was excellent & the service was very good.I would recommend this hotel every time

Room Tip: Both rooms 7 & 16 were in quite parts of the hotel
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 August 2018

We stayed here a few years ago and have just spent another lovely break here. Car parking is very good in the hotel grounds right on the seafront. Evidently some refurbishment work has been done to this historic hotel and our room 34 was immaculate with a lovely shower although it is a little compact! There is a 34A; so I presume they have made 2 rooms out of one. All the staff were great. Entertainment was quite good. The menu has been revamped with some tasty new choices. The black pudding has gone from the breakfast :-) but they have missed the opportunity to replace it with a mushroom :-(. Only big criticism was the scrambled egg which I ttied 2 days running and was grey in colour and had the consistency of blancmange. Not up to Leisureplex's usual standard - need to send the chef on a cookery course lol.

Room Tip: Sea view is great
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2018 via mobile

I booked and payed for a double room G4  booking number BIC19 for a 1 nite which was on the 28/07/18 costing £102... We weren't even there half hour when we asked to be moved to another room due to wallpaper peeling off the walls paint flaking from the ceiling putty from the French doors very loose and paint also flaking off the french doors.. cracks all over the ceiling we were then put on the top floor room 43 which at first glance we thought was better so we left our stuff there and went out came back had a drink in the bar which was also very out dated cob webs in corners of ceiling botched paint cover ups on the ceiling no WiFi all though it states WiFi is in communial areas which still didn't work. Went to the room floors very noisy to walk on felt like there was a hole in the floor boards covered up by carpet room very hot as no air conditioning what's so ever.. bed hard and not comfortable at all.. cobwebs in the windows only when we turned on the light it looked like someone has spat in a few places on the window.. we were so disgusted my partner went to complain and ask for head office number from reception he was told she wasn't here to discuss anything about head office and just gave him a pen with a number on. The lift floor was also starting to bubble up which is dangerous..So after spending literally 3 hours in the hotel we left and went home so didn't spend the night there so I'd like a full refund as £102 a night for a so called luxury hotel is disgusting as it's no way a luxury hotel I will never go there again as it completely spoiled are weekend!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
5  Thank tinablick
Reviewed 30 July 2018 via mobile

Have just returned from weekend break at hotel.We booked as the weather had been great and were looking forward to nice walks and alfresco dining.The weather changed and spent most of our time in the hotel as we dont drive.The hotel is like the better class seaside hotels that were popular before for foreign holidays it is trapped in time .Spotless, smiley staff, lovely service.The bar prices cheaper than most pubs.Fabulous choice for a well cooked breakfast and although didnt have dinner the menu was of a good standard.Would reccomend this hotel for a short or longer stay .Our room was with a wonderful seaview and I think these are the deluxe double.A great time but did expect a character from an Agatha Christie book to walk through the bar .Wonderful.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple